Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #21
Mr Edmundo
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (15)
Montecristo
Mr Edmundo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So Why did you join the Asylum?

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
This guy showed up at my door one afternoon and kindly asked me to check it out.

That's too funny. I wouldn't mess with this guy either.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #22
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
This guy showed up at my door one afternoon and kindly asked me to check it out.

As long a it was "kindly!"
Old 11-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
dcamacho

i dont know lol .... i love it tho
Old 11-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #24
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Old 11-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #25
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
My friends are here, why would I want to be somewhere my friends are not?
... Because Stupid is my friend!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #26
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
... Because Stupid is my friend!!!
Now that thar's funny. I don't care who ya are.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #27
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

To everyones great credit we've pretty much avoided these types of CS conversations here.

The easy answer, for me is...Julian sent me an email with a link saying it was working.... so I signed up.

The harder answer is ...the future, as some have commented, was presented to us to be commercial and part of some sort of homogenized amalgamation of 3-4 different cigar cultures who's only enhanced purpose I could figure out was .... well it wasn't what brought so many together there. It's like the local bar you have hung out at, made friends and called home for a long time. It changes ownership to "consolidated bars" and you start enjoying it less for whatever reason even before the remodel. Your friends start drifting away to other places to hang out. The vibe of the place gets worse. What do you do? This place was the answer to that question for a number of us.

These on line communities are cool. They exist because folks "choose" to make them home. They can just as easily die based upon people making different choices based upon real or perceived changes in their hangouts.

Everyone joins, posts, reads, interacts. decides to set-up shop, wherever you feel comfortable. There are many cigar forums to choose from. There are folks scratching their heads about this place springing up from nowhere. I'm one of them.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #28
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: So Why did you join the Asylum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
To everyones great credit we've pretty much avoided these types of CS conversations here.

The easy answer, for me is...Julian sent me an email with a link saying it was working.... so I signed up.

The harder answer is ...the future, as some have commented, was presented to us to be commercial and part of some sort of homogenized amalgamation of 3-4 different cigar cultures who's only enhanced purpose I could figure out was .... well it wasn't what brought so many together there. It's like the local bar you have hung out at, made friends and called home for a long time. It changes ownership to "consolidated bars" and you start enjoying it less for whatever reason even before the remodel. Your friends start drifting away to other places to hang out. The vibe of the place gets worse. What do you do? This place was the answer to that question for a number of us.

These on line communities are cool. They exist because folks "choose" to make them home. They can just as easily die based upon people making different choices based upon real or perceived changes in their hangouts.

Everyone joins, posts, reads, interacts. decides to set-up shop, wherever you feel comfortable. There are many cigar forums to choose from. There are folks scratching their heads about this place springing up from nowhere. I'm one of them.
Honestly, I couldn't have said it better. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #29
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

I was looking for a new place hang out and talk about cigars and other things.As others have said I didn't care for the direction in which CS was moving. I frequent one other cigar board but most of my time is spent here.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Indeed, our beloved jungle turning into a MySpace type social networking morass( in January we are told) had a lot of us looking for refuge elsewhere. Happily, many of us have found our refuge in the asylum, thanks to the Team of 11 who saw the handwriting on the wall. Thanks to them the spirit of the jungle lives on here. 'Nuff said.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #31
nozero

I joined the "other site" because a dude I met playing pool at a local dive told me I'd get a bunch of free cigars. I found it was far more than that and I stayed there because of the people and that's why I joined the Cigar Asylym and that's why I'll stay here now.

Uhm, well OK that and Medication Time!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #32
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Because this is where my family is.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #33
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Trading: (14)
Bolivar
Heliofire is on a distinguished road

I came here because I knew this was where my friends were.
Heliofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #34
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I got the invite and I joined. The morale at CS at the time was very depressing, and the Asylum was a ray of light in that dark time. I still post at CS, but consider this place home now.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #35
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Why did I join the Asylum?

In not so many words....

....It was something that needed to be done, and something I chose to be a part of.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #36
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Because Cigar Live was falling apart and this seems like the place to be
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #37
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

It's also small, therefore more tight-knit and it's grass roots formation helps really make CA a CIGAR oriented place...

da klugs and bobarian's posts above is right on.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #38
Linus

The first cigar forum (and the main one I visit besides here) was CigarPass. I had heard about what had happened in regards to the purchased and yapped about it in my blog, making specific note about the moderator changes. As I was checking a few days later to see who visited, I saw a link coming from here so I decided to check it out. I was very happy to see a forum dedicated to the kinship of BOTL/SOTL and joined.

I was even happier to see that I was received as is and without question, something that I had experienced only at CigarPass previously. So I decided to make this another home-away-from-home forum for me to discuss cigars and to share my finds (right now in the form of reviews -- I've been on the road too much to properly participate in passes until recently), even if they were only new to me, with others.

One of the best decisions I made in regards to my hobby was to join here. The knowledge and friendliness is like no other I've seen.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #39
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I joined because all my friends were moving over here, and I was not at all happy with the way CS was going. Since I joined the Asylum I have hardley even looked at the old board. This is my new home and I am Very Happy to be here.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #40
Cigary

Was invited to the site by one of the Mods and glad I accepted,,,,this is one of the best out there.