Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #341
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LOST Notes

Wow that's big.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #342
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post

That's funny
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #343
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Hmmm.. I'm a bit torn about this last season of Lost. It's very... BLAH to me.

Been a die-hard fan since season two. Seems like the writers are just making stuff up as they go along now. I know there's 9-10 episodes left.. but I definitely don't think we're going to be getting the "perfect ending" we're all hoping for. Nothing has made my jaw drop this season, like in the past.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully it gets better
Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #344
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

LOST season 6, ep #6 "Dr. Linus"

1) Jack, Richard, Hurley:
Hurley waking up in the field of flowers was reminiscent of the poppy sequence in The Wizard of Oz (add it to the list of Oz references from this show... here's a link to all the Oz references http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wizard_of_Oz).
"I can't kill myself", Richard explains. It doesn't explain his agelessness, but it does explain a lot of other things we've seen these past years. Namely, it tells us why Jack couldn't kill himself on the sixth street bridge, why Locke couldn't hang himself in that hotel room, and ended up needing some help from Ben. Maybe it even suggests that Michael was touched by Jacob at one point too, because his repeated attempts at suicide in season four were all thwarted (until the island was done with him).

2) Ben's flash-sideways:
Arzt complained that got formaldehyde on his shirt, a funny reference to the season 1 episode when Arzt blew up and Jack got some Arzt on his shirt.
Until this week's episode, it had been safe to assume that both the Island and Sideways worlds shared the same history until 1977, which is when the time-traveling Losties detonated Jughead. Now we know differently. The flash-sideways revelation that Ben and his Dad were a part of Dharma means that Sideways Roger and Ben left the Island prior to its sinking. But Island Roger and Ben were still on the Island when Juliet banged the bomb. Implication: If the two worlds share a common history, the fork in the road is sometime before 1977.

Funny that in the scene with Roger, Ben went in to a closet filled with gas tanks to replace an oxygen tank for his Dad. When Dharma was purged Ben gassed his Dad to death.

Principal Reynolds vs Charles Widmore... both exposed by Ben for cheating... in position of power that Ben wanted.

Reynolds in turn threatened to ''torch'' Alex's chances at getting into Yale and thus destroy her future, just as Widmore sent his goons to ''torch'' (Widmore's word) the Island and kill Alex unless Ben bent to his will.
Donald Lawrence Reynolds is an anagram for 'a cloned world nearly ends'
Ben was teaching about Napoleon and Elba are good metaphors for the island and its various leaders. Like Elba, the island is a sort of prison for larger-than-life entities. Being sent to Elba was, as Ben pointed out, the end of Napoleon's power. I know this parallel was supposed to hint at the losses of power and exiles of Ben and Widmore (in their cases, from the island, not to it), but Elba could also refer to the Man in Black, who views the island as a sort of prison.

3) Widmore:
Widmore/ Ben/ Others history:
When Widmore was the Others' leader he ordered Ben to ''exterminate'' both Rousseau and Alex. Ben refused and Widmore dismissed Ben's ''idealism'' as sentimental and self-serving - about him needing to feel needed (much like Principal Reynolds accused Ben of needing History Club more than the students did). When Ben uncovered the truth about Widmore's off-island affair (with, presumably, Penny's mother), he staged a coup and forced Widmore into exile. Ben then moved the Others out of the jungle and into Dharmaville (after the Purge). But Ben's dream of settling down and playing house - modifying Others culture in such a way to service and fulfill his own desires - was surely antithetical to the Others' true purpose, and was most likely what earned the Others' their fertility curse from the Island/Jacob. Richard said as much when he encouraged Locke to make a play for Ben's job. ''Ben has been wasting our time with novelties like fertility problems,'' Richard said. ''We're looking for someone to remind us that we're here for more important reasons.''
Widmore ordered Keamy to kill Alex, if needed, to remove Ben from the island. Ben visited Widmore off-island and threatened to retaliate by killing Widmore's daughter, Penny.

Widmore/ Miles history:
Widmore recruited Miles, with the mercenaries, to come to the island. At one point, Miles and his taco were kidnapped by Bram (from Ilana's crew) who tried to talk Miles out of taking the job and being on the wrong side.
Widmore/ Eloise Hawking's allegiance:
Ms. Hawking made sure Locke's corpse went back to the island, that he was a proxy for Christian Shephard. But by doing so, she helped Smokey use Locke's body.

Widmore also wanted Locke to return to the island. Are Widmore and Ms. Hawking working together? Maybe Widmore wanted Smokey to take the form of Locke so that he would recognize him once he arrived? Fighting is easier if you recognize the enemy, no?
We've believed that Ilana's people are pro-Jacob and the freighter/ mercenaries were pro-Widmore. If Widmore's in cahoots with Smokey, wouldn't it make sense that he's Smokey's way off the island, and if Flocke wasn't lying to Ben, that someone will lead the island when he leaves, perhaps he promised Widmore, if Widmore helped him, that he would get him back to the island and have him be the leader.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, whose side is everyone on?
Jacob told Hurley "someone's coming to the island and I need you to help them get here." Was Jacob referring to Widmore or someone else? Why would Jacob want Widmore to come to the island if Widmore facilitated Locke's body returning to the island, which in turn, gave Smokey a body to use? Remember that Widmore told Locke (after Locke turned the frozen wheel and ended up in the Tunisian Desert) "if you don't return, the wrong side will win."

4) Ilana:
She revealed that she is charged with protecting the candidates who will replace Jacob.
Ilana facilitated Ben's redemption by forgiving him/ accepting him into her group. This time, Ben made the right choice- fulfilling, perhaps, Jacob's dying hope that Ben had the capacity for change. Ben became the first person this season to turn down Flocke's bargain.

5) Flocke:
Perhaps Flocke wanted Ben to kill Ilana. He probably can't kill her himself, just like he couldn't kill Jacob or the candidates. Ilana is probably off limits, too, so Flocke was trying to manipulate Ben into killing her.
Did Ben kill Locke in the hotel room because he knew Locke couldn't kill himself? (Remember that Ben needed Locke dead to convince the other Losties to go back)
Flocke told Ben he was needed to guard the island after Flocke leaves... interesting because Flocke told Sawyer that it's just an island and doesn't need protecting.

6) Miles:
Reveals that Jacob knew Ben would kill him ("No, he cared. He was hoping he was wrong about you"). This goes against the original theory of Jacob knowingly accepting his own demise.

7) The Beach:
The "girlie" magazine from Sawyer's old tent had something about "mirrors" written in the bottom corner and also something about "getting to the bottom of things" (haha)

The Chosen (book from Sawyer's tent) - About father/ son relationships. Some themes: a son rebelling about taking his fathers place as rabbi, the validity of Faith in a world moving toward science, mankind's total destruction. One defining part of the book where the two main characters (young boys) first meet is at a baseball game where one boy tells the other boy that he "wanted to kill him" after a baseball injury.

Lapidus overslept and missed flying Oceanic 815
The reunion moment at the end - This moment was staged to deliberately echo the scene from the season 3 episode ''One Of Us,'' when Jack, Kate, and Sayid returned from Otherville, bringing Juliet with them. When the beach crew saw her everyone gave her the stink-eye (especially, ironically, Sawyer) - just like Jack and Ben traded suspicious looks in this week's episode.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #345
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Two thoughts on last night's episode:

1) Awesome!

2) Holy hell, Charlotte is hot!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #346
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

The only reason I'm sticking with this series is because I've watched it from its inception... I'm still among the non-thrilled.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #347
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_s2k View Post
Seems like the writers are just making stuff up as they go along now. I know there's 9-10 episodes left.. but I definitely don't think we're going to be getting the "perfect ending" we're all hoping for.
I mentioned this type deal to a friend of mine yesterday, or day before. I told him that I had a sinking feeling that the real intent is to take a bunch of craps in a pile and light it on fire with gasoline and laugh as we all try to figure out what it means. Based on the episode earlier this week, I do not think they are going to have me locked in where they want me. I no longer feel like this is going to be must watch stuff. I watched this program since the second episode, and by ABC's skill at retro'ing everything, got to see what I had missed in the first episode almost immediately the next week. So I have seen it all and it just makes me angrier and angrier the deeper I get. The only thing making me watch now is that they moved it into the one desert night I had in the week, so I watch Lost or turn the TV off and watch the fish tank. LOST can cup my nuts.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #348
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I'm still lost but another hot chick appeared so I'm staying!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #349
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
I used to frequent a Lost forum (4815162342.com) but the number of people there ......
Hehe, I remember back in Season 1 when I thought I had better get into a lost forum so I could float
my theories and have them on paper (cyberly-speaking) so that in the end when I turned out to be
right it would have a date stamp onit, lol. I shudder to think what a Lost forum is like nowadays.
It was a giant mess back THEN. I am afraid I couldn't contain myself.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #350
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
LOST can cup my nuts.

newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #351
OLS
Suck It

But did I mention I will watch every episode? Nut-cupping does not imply
not-watching, although they are spelled similarly.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #352
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Frank Lupitas called, he said the plan is to load everyone up in the plane on Hydra Island, climb 30,000 feet and then nose dive back down into the island and kill everyone. The End.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #353
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Frank Lupitas called, he said the plan is to load everyone up in the plane on Hydra Island, climb 30,000 feet and then nose dive back down into the island and kill everyone. The End.
Was I nuts or did I hear a reference to getting that airliner started and trying to leave the island on it last night??? Provided you could "fix" the jet, how could you take off?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #354
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Was I nuts or did I hear a reference to getting that airliner started and trying to leave the island on it last night??? Provided you could "fix" the jet, how could you take off?
I was wondering the same thing although this is Lost! and there might be a 300 yard runway just past the tree line the losties missed for the past 7 seasons.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #355
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing although this is Lost! and there might be a 300 yard runway just past the tree line the losties missed for the past 7 seasons.
Hahah, true for sure. OK, so I DID hear that woman mention something like that.
I don't Tivo, and sometimes I am web surfing and peering over my glasses at the TV, so I never really know. I think I am going to watch the last three online tonight after Survivor.

My friend in Mississippi always says it's gonna turn out the Vincent is behind EVERYTHING.
That's the dog by the way, lol.

Last edited by OLS; 03-18-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #356
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Actually, there is a runway. It's what the Aljira flight landed on last season, that Sawyer/Kate were building while imprisoned in an earlier season.

Getting the plane to use it would be another matter, but there is a runway.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #357
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Actually, there is a runway. It's what the Aljira flight landed on last season, that Sawyer/Kate were building while imprisoned in an earlier season.

Getting the plane to use it would be another matter, but there is a runway.
I forgot all about that, good point!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #358
OLS
Suck It

I KNEW I had missed a show. I remember the labor camp deal, but landing al jazeera must have slipped by. I think I casually blew LOST off last year. I missed alot.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #359
OLS
Suck It

I think what I like best about THIS "lost" forum is that everyone basically
is already vetted for ignorance, i.e. we all smoke cigars. There is really no guessing
at the gene pool at some of those websites. Even with me posting, it just seems safer
in here, lol.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #360
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

LOST season 6, ep #7 "Recon"

1) Sawyer's flash-sideways
Liam Pace, Charlie's brother, was at the police station.When Miles served coffee at the police station, he took the black mug while giving Sawyer the white mug.

A big difference between island Sawyer and flash-sideways Sawyer: Detective James Ford was a terrible liar. Everyone could spot his tells. Everyone could see through his Steve McQueen cool: The grifter chick in the motel, Charlotte Lewis, his partner Miles.

It first appeared that Sawyer's flash-sideways wouldn't have a redemptive ending like the other Losties, but he ended up telling Miles the truth about Anthony Cooper because he knew Miles would try to talk him out of it. Whew!
Regardless of which world Sawyer is in he is destined to be law enforcement partners with Miles and pin Kate up against bars.
Charlotte: archeologist. What do archaeologists do? Dig up ruins of the past (Sawyer's family photo).

Kate's hoodie was conspicuous. In the episode ''The Long Con,'' the big twist was that Charlie had assisted Sawyer in his fake-crisis, fear-cultivating, gun-grabbing power coup. Charlie, wearing a hoodie, revealed that the only reason why he partnered with Sawyer was to humiliate Locke, who had humiliated him episodes earlier. Fittingly, ''Recon'' re-teamed redeemed Sawyer and Kate (now playing the Charlie role) in a bid to subvert Flocke.
Miles on island doesn't care about anyone else, Miles in flash-sideways cares, has a father, even has a girlfriend.
We got the impression that Anthony Cooper was a beloved father in Locke's flash-sideways, but still the bad guy in Sawyer's... what's up with that?
The books in Sawyer's room (incidentally, all three of the books were already introduced on LOST in previous episodes):

Watership Down - The novel is by Richard Adams (1972) and is a spoof of humans searching for a new home using a society of rabbits as characters. The rabbits find what they think is utopia - but discover that it is a farm with traps and snares and they have to live together or die alone while establishing new rules to live. On the island when Sawyer asked Kate what's for dinner she said "Rabbit, I think." A Wrinkle in Time - A sci-fi children's novel by Madeleine L'Engle (1962.) The story follows Meg Merry - a teenager who travels in time and space with her younger brother Charles Wallace and friend Calvin O'Keefe to rescue their father - who is a scientist being held prisoner by an evil force.
Lancelot - A novel by Walker Percy (1977). This is the story of Lancelot Lamar - an attorney who finds out he is not the father of his youngest daughter, then he kills his wife by blowing up their house. He ends up in a mental institution with his memories.... and reality and the past tend to get blurred for him.

Little House on the Prairie on Sawyer's TV - Pa Ingalls said "That's what life's all about - laughing and loving each other - and knowing that people aren't really gone when they die. We have all the good memories to sustain us until we see them again." HUGE hints here???So, can we assume that Sawyer never wrote that the letter to Anthony Cooper? That might mean that Jacob never existed in this reality or never gave young Sawyer that pen. It was, after all, Jacob who pushed him to finish the letter after his uncle warned him not to. Jacob nudged Sawyer down the path of obsessive vengeance, of becoming a con man rather than a law man. Are we seeing a world without Jacob? A world where our characters are free to live their own lives without this meddlesome entity and his damned island?

2) Flocke
Flocke told Claire that the Others took Aaron. It gave her a purpose.... having hate is better than having nothing. Perhaps it was the same thing that kept Smokey going when he was a prisoner for years... his hatred for Jacob. This theme was also echoed in Sawyer's anger/ enemy/ hatred toward Anthony Cooper.Was Flocke just channeling John Locke when he told Kate about his crazy mother? What were the ''growing pains'' he referred to? Maybe his mother had the sickness when Smokey was a boy or when she was pregnant with him, resulting in what happened to him.

3) Flocke's assignment for Sawyer

Why didn't Flocke just "smokey" over to Hydra Island to do the recon himself, instead of Sawyer. Maybe this has to do with him crossing the water. During the ep "Dead is Dead", Flocke took his shoes off during the canoe ride over to the main island, and put them back on when he reached the dock. Also, Ben released a drain plug to call Smokey. So, if Flocke can't touch water somehow, why did we see a resurrected John Locke standing ankle-deep in the ocean right after the crash of Ajira 316? I'm not sure what the deal is with him and water, but something definitely seems fishy."Do whatever you can to gain their trust, find out what you can about them, and then get back here." Now where have we heard that before? Ben said it to Goodwin when 815 crashed. I love how this show reuses dialogue lines.Last week Flocke told Ben to head to Hydra Island. This week he told his group that they might not leave their present camp for a couple days, whereas he told Ben to ditch (and kill) Ilana and head for Hydra Island. If Ben had killed Ilana and made his way to Hydra Island, he would have fallen right into Widmore's clutches. Was Flocke setting Ben up to be captured by Widmore or to be killed when Flocke/ Smokey killed the remaining Ajira passengers.If Flock continues channeling his subconscious John Locke ("Don't tell me what I can't do!" and "I had a crazy mother") that sub is going to get blown up.

4) Widmore
Does Widmore really want to kill Flocke (as Sawyer assumed)? Why, then, was he helping Locke return to the island when Locke turned the frozen wheel?
Sawyer was escorted to see Widmore on the sub and noticed a locked door. Remembered how Anthony Cooper had been brought to the Island via sub by the Others - and how John Locke had tricked Sawyer into killing him. FUN FACT! A ''locked room mystery'' is perhaps the oldest identified genre of mystery fiction. The oldest ''locked room mystery'' on record: ''Bel and the Dragon,'' an apocryphal Biblical text, in which a famous prophet debunked a false god by... sprinkling a perimeter of ash around a room. The name of this prophet? Daniel.

5) Claire
Her behavior is very child-like. Maybe the sickness is that you get mentally "reset" to when you were a kid. Examples, she's had quick bouts of anger, then shows remorse later (hugging Kate and crying), holds Kate's hand when Flocke gives his speech, playing with a doll, essentially. Is this what the sickness reduces you to? Sayid just watched while Claire tried to kill Kate... freaky.

6) What's next
Remember when Jack told Kate he had taken piloting lessons? I wonder if those are going to come in handy with the Ajira plane???Remember the mysterious "other Others" who shot at Sawyer, Locke, Juliet, Miles, Daniel and Charlotte during their canoe trip to the Orchid? They returned some shots, but flashed away before they could figure out who was shooting at them. I bet we are going to see the other side of that scene soon!Next week we FINALLY get Richard's story.

FUN THEORY FROM DOC JENSEN AT ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The legend of the Fisher King - the guardian of the Holy Grail, or enchanted spring - holds that there are two custodians at any one time. There is a king, and there is a knight. Sometimes they are father and son. For some reason, the natural order of things requires the Fisher King to have an infirmity that makes him incapable of moving. He has an injury to his leg, foot, or groin. The job of the Grail Knight is to heal the Fisher King. But alas, Grail Knights are known to get distracted by selfishness or missions of vengeance and neglect their duty to the Fisher King. When this happens, the kingdom becomes infertile. No flowers; no babies. Oh, and the abode where the king and knight live pops in and out of reality, at different times and places. One more thing? The Fisher King is called the Fisher King because he fishes (like Jacob?). A lot. Mostly to pass the boring time guarding the grail. THEORY! Jacob was the Fisher King. Smokey was his knight. Smokey became disenchanted, neglected his duties, wanted out, conspired to kill the Fisher King to earn that freedom.