Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
BC-Axeman

Default Re: The Wine Thread

Does brett end up in tobacco? Is that the "'barnyard" smell?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Does brett end up in tobacco? Is that the "'barnyard" smell?
Yes.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
ChicagoWhiteSox

Had a 2009 Montebuena Rioja tonight with a friend. Best wine I have had in a while. Very good wine. I made a point to write a note to myself to pick up a few bottles to put away. And I think I spent like $12, so good value wine.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
ChicagoWhiteSox

Popped a 2007 Chateau Campuget Costieres de Nimes tonight. The nose is awesome on this wine. Sweet raspberry, and like a chocolate/earthy component too. I like it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Different Brett clones have different aroma characteristics, so Brett can't be regarded as a single entity (same as Sacc. cere., different clones express different levels of enzymes involved in flavor production).

To get Brett character in beer, you need to leave the beer to ferment many months to years, even if you innoculate. A Lambic we made (added 2 Brett clones) that had zero Brett character after 6 months had the defined character after 12. If you're making beer on a regular homebrew schedule (make-drink within a couple of months), the chance of getting Brett character accidentally is close to zero.

Oh, and I don't link the horse poo smell of a good Cuban with Brett ... they seem quite different aroma characteristics to me.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
mmblz

Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

my stash of $10/bottle Chateau Souverain Cabernet is getting just low enough that I'm starting to be depressed at the idea of either spending more or drinking crappy wine after this runs out...
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
my stash of $10/bottle Chateau Souverain Cabernet is getting just low enough that I'm starting to be depressed at the idea of either spending more or drinking crappy wine after this runs out...
What is it about this wine that stood out to you? Besides the price value.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
mmblz

Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
What is it about this wine that stood out to you? Besides the price value.
It's normally $20. Pretty good CA cab even for $20, but a steal at $10.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

At Publix with my wife a day or two before Valentines and I see Heidsieck & Co Monopole Blue Top Brut, Champagne, pretty standard at around $30. They were selling them two for $30, basically buy one get one free, could not beleive it, and picked them up. At ~$30 I think its a pretty good value Champagne, but at $15 its a no brainer buy.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
At Publix with my wife a day or two before Valentines and I see Heidsieck & Co Monopole Blue Top Brut, Champagne, pretty standard at around $30. They were selling them two for $30, basically buy one get one free, could not beleive it, and picked them up. At ~$30 I think its a pretty good value Champagne, but at $15 its a no brainer buy.
Every now and then that happens at Publix, Seth. Most people, myself generally included, aren't afficionados at much more than a thing or two and I think Champagne probbly fits that bill to a T. In other words, most people buying champagne at Publix are probably going to grab a bottle or two of $9 Korbel.

To make a long story short, a while back I stumbled upon Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin at Publix marked down to like $16 a bottle. Bought every one they had. Probably not tops on everyones list, but at that price, hells yeah.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Every now and then that happens at Publix, Seth. Most people, myself generally included, aren't afficionados at much more than a thing or two and I think Champagne probbly fits that bill to a T. In other words, most people buying champagne at Publix are probably going to grab a bottle or two of $9 Korbel.

To make a long story short, a while back I stumbled upon Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin at Publix marked down to like $16 a bottle. Bought every one they had. Probably not tops on everyones list, but at that price, hells yeah.
Yep, I don't normally look through the wine section.....but I will now.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I would buy all of it too at that price. Good score!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
BC-Axeman

I just met a Paso Robles winemaker named David James at a cigar lounge (Perfecto) here. There is some kind of Syrah Days or something like that going on and he was exhibiting an '05 he made. He stopped in for a cigar and opened up a bottle for tasting. Very nice. Good mixture of oak, no brett and a smooth long finish. You never know who you will meet.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I just met a Paso Robles winemaker named David James at a cigar lounge (Perfecto) here. There is some kind of Syrah Days or something like that going on and he was exhibiting an '05 he made. He stopped in for a cigar and opened up a bottle for tasting. Very nice. Good mixture of oak, no brett and a smooth long finish. You never know who you will meet.
David James or Tobin James? A friend of mine brought me some Cab and Red Zin from Tobin James Winery in Paso Robles a while back. Some of the best stuff I have ever had. I wish I could get it in TX.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
innova

Anyone into over-extracted Zinfandels? (Klinker Brick, anything Lodi) Looking to try something outside the usual suspects here.

-Thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Is anyone into Madeira? I have decided to delve into this wine a bit. I have read as much material on it that I could fine over the last few days. In some of the reviews I have read where that particular bottling goes very well with cigars. Now I am planing to pick up a bottle or two and try it out.

Any input and/or advise would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Is anyone into Madeira? I have decided to delve into this wine a bit. I have read as much material on it that I could fine over the last few days. In some of the reviews I have read where that particular bottling goes very well with cigars. Now I am planing to pick up a bottle or two and try it out.

Any input and/or advise would be appreciated.
What do you want to know. I adore Madeira, probably more than any other wine, but can get pricy.

The best easy to find Madeiras under $100 are:

Broadbent 10 year Malmsey
Broabent 1996 Colheita
Blandy's Alvada
Rare Wine Company's "Historic Series"
D'Oliveiras 1968 Bual (about $150ish)
Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
What do you want to know. I adore Madeira, probably more than any other wine, but can get pricy.

The best easy to find Madeiras under $100 are:

Broadbent 10 year Malmsey
Broabent 1996 Colheita
Blandy's Alvada
Rare Wine Company's "Historic Series"
D'Oliveiras 1968 Bual (about $150ish)
I have just recently started enjoying Madeira and I am wondering why it took me so long to try it. I understand that most of what you have mentioned are at the higher end, except maybe the Broadbent 10yr Malmsey. so I have not tried them yet. I have tried Blandy 5 & 10 Sercial and they are great.

I also enjoy some Ports, but what's super nice about Madeira over Port, is that Madeira will virtually last for ever, even once open, if properly sealed. Port may last a few weeks to maybe a month or two and the very most.

What are your thoughts on the 5yr, 10yr and maybe 20yr, Sercial vs Malmsey vs Bual?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #19
scottfish
Poser Extraordinaire

First Name: Scott
Trading: (2)
scottfish is on a distinguished road

I was never into wine before visiting Napa for the first time in September.

On one of our tastings, a young lady couldn't stop talking about how 2007 was the "perfect season" in Northern California.

Now I don't know squat. I like what doesn't make me cringe and pucker when I drink it and makes me feel good . I have, however tested the 2007 statement out and when in doubt grab an inexpensive 2007 California over anything else. I haven't been let down yet.

Is it true about '07 or am I just experiencing a placebo effect?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #20
innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfish View Post

Is it true about '07 or am I just experiencing a placebo effect?
Do not adjust your palate, it's working fine

While not to be followed as gospel, vintage charts are a good way to get a 5000 ft view, you'll find 2007 was indeed a good year for cali.

http://enobytes.org/wine_blog/2011/0...-january-2011/

hth,

-innova