Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
JHinc
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Joep
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
JHinc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
What post are you referring to, JHinc? I haven't seen any reference to syrup, and I'm not sure what cestes is. Either way, it would take quite a bit to lower the pH too much, brewers yeast likes an acidic environment; the yeast itself will lower the pH into the low 4s, or even high 3s.

Edit, to stay on topic, I have a Belgian Dark Strong in the fermenter. First shot at this style.
Basically on yours with the diea of making a mojita IPA and kaisersozei's reply.

The syrup i mean is the Rose's lime juice mentioned by kaisersozei. Cestes are (not sure if it is the correct english word, im Dutch ) scrapings of the peel of a lemon.

I wouldent go down into the the high 3's for the yeasting part tho a steady drop from around 5 to around 4.2 is a much healthier enviroment for most yeast cultures.

What yeast are you planning on usng Bottom fermenting or top fermenting?
JHinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Brewing a German Alt tonight. Should make a nice fall beer!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Scimmia

Ah, I guess I didn't realise that Rose's lime juice was a syrup, I was assuming it was juice. Shows how many mixed drinks I make, I guess.

The english word you're looking for is "zest". That's what landhoney originally talked about using.

Beer finishing in the high 3s pH isn't uncommon, but my point is that it would take a whole lot of zest to get enough citric acid to make the wort too acidic for the yeast.

Being that he's talking about an India Pale Ale, one can safely assume he's talking about an ale yeast, or top fermenting. With the citricy hops, it'll be more american style, so the default choice would be Fermentis US-05/Wyeast 1056/White WLP001. It's a relatively clean, neutral yeast.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
JHinc
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Joep
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
JHinc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ah, I guess I didn't realise that Rose's lime juice was a syrup, I was assuming it was juice. Shows how many mixed drinks I make, I guess.
Im not sure it is a syrup either i assumed so much.

Quote:
Beer finishing in the high 3s pH isn't uncommon, but my point is that it would take a whole lot of zest to get enough citric acid to make the wort too acidic for the yeast.
Might not be uncommon but it cant be good influence on the end product.
Foam stability, protein binding ..

But then again it could easily be me thinking to pure, i mainly deal with pilseners and the standards we use for that.

Still sounds like an intresting brew!
JHinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Scimmia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinc View Post
Might not be uncommon but it cant be good influence on the end product.
Foam stability, protein binding ..

But then again it could easily be me thinking to pure, i mainly deal with pilseners and the standards we use for that.
Yeah, coming from a large brewery standpoint, I can understand. Lagers tend to be higher pH than ales. Hell, some of the sours will get down close to 3.0. I don't tend to think in large brewery terms, just the fact that you make such a clean product and make it so consistently is mind boggling.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Racked the CohiBrew DIPA into the secondary last week, SG right at about 1.019 so it fermented down quite a bit.

Yesterday I brewed up my 2010 Christmas ale, this year going for a Belgian Specialty using Trappist yeast and adding some cinnamon, orange peel, cardamon and ginger. Have a question for the group on calculating OG. I plan on adding dark Belgian candy sugar to the primary a few days after fermentation begins. I'm trying to determine how much to use, based on the impact it will have on the starting gravity. From what I've read, the sugar has a gravity of 1.036 OG/lb/gal.

I measured OG this morning (without the sugar) at 1.060, a few points lower than target. Is it safe to say that 16 oz would bring that to 1.067 (1.036/5) and 8 oz to 1.064 (50% of 1.036/5)? This is in a 5 gallon batch.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Scimmia

Kaisersozei, assuming the 36 points potential is correct and that you have exactly 5 gallons in the fermenter, then yes, your math is correct.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Great, thanks

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Great, thanks
Not a lot of information out there on exactly what sugars will do what from what I can see.

I did find this in an old thread on HBT...

1 pound of sugar will add .046 points per gallon.

so 1 pound will add .0092 points to a five gallon batch.
Formula:
(.046 * "lbs of sugar") / "batch size in gallons" = "total extra points per batch"

This question is still unanswered though:
"Does this apply for any kind of sugar or is this just white sugar? I know some folks use turbinado cane, corn sugar, honey, etc."

** EDIT** Beersmith is giving me .044-.048/lb. if I'm looking at that correctly (looks like .046 falls right in there)**

Pretending to play golf since 1989

Last edited by St. Lou Stu; 08-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Scimmia

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
This question is still unanswered though:
"Does this apply for any kind of sugar or is this just white sugar? I know some folks use turbinado cane, corn sugar, honey, etc."
That is a very loaded question. Sucrose is easy, as it's pretty constant, but others are tougher. Even corn sugar (D-glucose) that gets used a lot in homebrewing can vary quite a bit as it's hygroscopic. The belgian candi sugar is inverted, I believe, so you're dealing with a combination of sucrose, fructose, and glucose. Any guesses how much water you're dealing with? I made some dark candi syrup, and knowing how much sucrose I started with, I was estimating around 37pppg, which ended up pretty close. That's higher than the sugar that kaisersozei's dealing with.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Well, I got some good news this morning!

Two years ago I used a DFH 90m IPA clone recipe to brew a beer that came out more like DFH Burton Baton. After two years in the bottle, it was probably more like a barleywine than a DIPA but I thought the ABV was a bit off. I decided to enter it in this year's Dominion Cup (a pretty sizeable homebrew competition in Virginia that draws entries from all over.)

The results came out today and Asylum Imperial IPA placed second in the "IIPA, Barleywines, Old Ales" category!

http://dominioncup.jrhb.org/DomCupWinners2010.php

Should be getting the score sheets back this week, will be interested to see the judges' notes!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The results came out today and Asylum Imperial IPA placed second in the "IIPA, Barleywines, Old Ales" category!
That's awesome, congrats!

Brewed 10 gallons of Oktoberfest on Sunday, 5 gal regular and 5 gal with pumpkin (canned and baked) and spices (cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg) for a fall/halloween/thanksgiving Pumpkin Beer.

This is my second batch of Oktoberfest this year for our Oktoberfest party at the end of October (figure this batch will be done at the end of the month, and then two months of lagering will be fine). The first one I brewed towards the end of April is awesome, and still a lot left for the party.

Last edited by landhoney; 08-10-2010 at 09:40 AM.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Quote:
Well, I got some good news this morning!

Two years ago I used a DFH 90m IPA clone recipe to brew a beer that came out more like DFH Burton Baton. After two years in the bottle, it was probably more like a barleywine than a DIPA but I thought the ABV was a bit off. I decided to enter it in this year's Dominion Cup (a pretty sizeable homebrew competition in Virginia that draws entries from all over.)

http://dominioncup.jrhb.org/DomCupWinners2010.php

Should be getting the score sheets back this week, will be interested to see the judges' notes!
I got the scores yesterday and I know everyone's been anxiously waiting this followup The principle judge on the panel for my beer was BJCP Master qualified and a professional brewer--which makes me his comments.

He loved it, scoring 46/50!

On flavor he said: "Great hop character, suspect burst hopping (which I did ) nice 'juicy' hop flavor. Good malt backbone, tail is hop flavor but not overly bitter, slight smoke note." His overall impression was "Awesome IPA, great hop profile, commercial quality brew, similar to Hopslam!"

I'd be happy to share the recipe (partial mash) if anyone wants to try it out.

Gerard

Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I'm just wrapping up brewing a hefeweizen.

6 lbs wheat LME
.5 lbs carapils
.5 lbs cara 20
1 oz Tettnaner 60 mins
1 oz Amarillo 15 mins
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephaner

IBU's = 30
SRM = 7
abv = 4.7%

I'll tell you in a few weeks how it turned out!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #15
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Bottled "CohiBrew" on Saturday, my latest DIPA recipe, and racked my Belgian Christmas Ale to the secondary yesterday. Added some Saaz hops, whole cloves & cinnamon, will get a little vanilla extract in a few weeks at bottling time. Tasted pretty darn good right out of the primary, so this one should be

Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I've got some water warming up right now for a partial mash "big" vanilla porter I'm making. Drinking some Surly Cynic Ale and listening to the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

9 lbs gold LME
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Chocolate
1 lb Brown Malt
.5 lb Aromatic
.5 Oat Malt
** 1.084 OG

1 oz Tettnanger 60 mins
.5 oz columbus 15 mins

Wyeast 1028 London Ale

The "Brew Your Own" calculator says this should come in at 1.028 FG, 8.1 abv, and 42 IBU's. I'll add some madagascar vanilla beans to the secondary.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

I had a pretty big brewing day today. I had a couple buddies over and we brewed a nut brown ale, and we bottled my Bourbon Vanilla Porter. It finished with a gravity of 1.020, so it's 8.5% abv. Tasted really nice. I added about 8 oz of bourbon that had been infused with 2 vanilla beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
9 lbs gold LME
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Chocolate
1 lb Brown Malt
.5 lb Aromatic
.5 Oat Malt
** 1.084 OG

1 oz Tettnanger 60 mins
.5 oz columbus 15 mins

Wyeast 1028 London Ale

The "Brew Your Own" calculator says this should come in at 1.028 FG, 8.1 abv, and 42 IBU's. I'll add some madagascar vanilla beans to the secondary.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

My porter seems to be chugging away nicely tonight. The OG came in a bit high at 1.088. My temp went a little high when I did my mini-mash, so I think that caused my OG to run a little high as well. Hopefully it won't be too tannic.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #19
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

20 gallons of Kentucky Common. I may or may not brew this weekend since all of them are still bubbling.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Just harvested some inspiration to get a batch of homebrew going. Chinooks on the right, magnums on the left. I think it's IPA time

Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote