Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #281
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

There will be a number of conference championship games tomorrow, but as they a) are still in many cases undetermined as to who's playing who, and b) involve what are almost certainly "one-and-done" teams, I'll stick to these few bigger games below:

Clemson vs. Florida State = Most seem to feel the Tigers are completely dead in the at-large discussion, but a win against the 'Noles, and maybe a win or two in the ACC tourney, and you never know. No doubt they are thinking that way.

Kentucky vs. Florida = If the Gators had shown any sort of consistency this year, I'd give them a good chance at smacking a second loss on the Wildcats. That not being the case, however, I'd really be shocked if UK does not finish its run of the table in the SEC.

Virginia vs. Maryland = Believe it or not, but losses to UNC and FSU has, in some people's minds, put the Cavaliers on the bubble. That's foolish to me, but I learned years ago that some people HAVE no minds to begin with, so who cares what they say? Regardless, UVA needs a win to take the bitter taste out of their mouths before tourney time starts.

Creighton vs. Wichita State = This is an exception to what I said above, as it is the championship game of the Missouri Valley tourney. Yet even were it not, it would be exceptional anyway. You wanna see a war? Check this one out on Sunday.

Ohio State vs. Michigan State = Or this one. Much like the UNC/Duke game, this one is huge even outside of the league. The Spartans have a game up on the Buckeyes and the Wolverines in the Big Ten+, and a MSU win here means the regular-season, the top seed in the conference tourney, and maybe that single #1-seed floating about for the NCAAs. The Buckeyes likely have no shot at that particular prize, but would still like to tie up the league. This should be a war.

Arizona vs. Arizona State = This should not be a war. The Desert 'Cats are much better than the Sun Devils, but they may not be good enough in the eyes of the Committee to get an at-large out of the Pac-12. A win here won't help them secure one, although a loss may justify them NOT getting one . . . in everyone's eyes but their own, that is. If you know anything about college hoops, you know damn well they will be whining and crying if they don't get a ticket to Dance.

Purdue vs. Indiana = The Boilermakers may not whine if they don't get one, but if they can beat the surprising Hoosiers in Bloomington they may not need to sweat that.

That's all I have time for today. Until Monday then, enjoy.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #282
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Nail biting...you got THAT call right. I have no fingernails left, and definitely have no voice left! Probably the closest OVC championship game I've seen, this one went down to the last second. MSU trailed a bunch in this game, and with 3 minutes left, I had that sinking feeling I had when TSU came to our house and killed the perfect season. TSU plays good D, and is not afraid of anyone; I give them a LOT of credit. A lot of MSU's big time guys did fair to poor today, and TSU killed on rebounds. But MSU hung in until late in H2, and then got a great shot to take the lead with 4 seconds left, and then got a good hold for the end. We haven't been to a tourney in a few years, but got tickets this year, and are glad we did. There was blue and gold all over Nasvhille, and MSU's crowd turned out 10-1 over TSU, which is in Nashville. I will also say that TSU has one of the BEST bands of any school I have ever heard.

Saw Vandy go down in flames to UT, one of the better free throw shooting teams not able to buy one today.

Just watched your 'Heels absolutely annihilate dook, so good for you! I do have to tell you; my wife asked if there was any way both teams could lose

Uconn pops Pitt. And UL continues to confound Ricky P with the loss to 'Cuse.

Texas at KU is on in H1, and after opening hot, the 'Horns are getting crapped on by the Jaybirds.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #283
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

Congrats on your victory!
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #284
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Nail biting...you got THAT call right. I have no fingernails left, and definitely have no voice left! Probably the closest OVC championship game I've seen, this one went down to the last second. MSU trailed a bunch in this game, and with 3 minutes left, I had that sinking feeling I had when TSU came to our house and killed the perfect season. TSU plays good D, and is not afraid of anyone; I give them a LOT of credit. A lot of MSU's big time guys did fair to poor today, and TSU killed on rebounds. But MSU hung in until late in H2, and then got a great shot to take the lead with 4 seconds left, and then got a good hold for the end. We haven't been to a tourney in a few years, but got tickets this year, and are glad we did. There was blue and gold all over Nasvhille, and MSU's crowd turned out 10-1 over TSU, which is in Nashville. I will also say that TSU has one of the BEST bands of any school I have ever heard.

Saw Vandy go down in flames to UT, one of the better free throw shooting teams not able to buy one today.

Just watched your 'Heels absolutely annihilate dook, so good for you! I do have to tell you; my wife asked if there was any way both teams could lose

Uconn pops Pitt. And UL continues to confound Ricky P with the loss to 'Cuse.

Texas at KU is on in H1, and after opening hot, the 'Horns are getting crapped on by the Jaybirds.
If it's any consolation, Joe, I was sweating that Racer game myself . . . a little, anyway. My main focus was on MY upcoming trial at Cameron. Congratulations on your season (so far) and the automatic bid, and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the Music City.

Too bad that other Nashville team did not have as good a weekend, though you gotta give the Vols credit for putting themselves in bubble consideration.

You can tell your wife that, yes, there is a way both Duke and Carolina could lose the game . . . that being if the winner would have their season vacated by the NCAA for violations. But the odds are slim there, as we are talking Dook/UNC, and not UK/UT.

U Conn's win does not, in my mind, get them off any bubble, nor did the Cardinal's loss put them on one. But that Texas loss did not help their case any, even though it may have been expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
Congrats on your victory!

Thank you, Larry. 'Grats on the way your Aztecs blew the Horned Frogs off the court also.

Before I do my update, I need to report that a story has just come out regarding Syracuse basketball. No, it's not more on those pederast accusations against Ass't. Coach Fine, but one that states that at least 10 basketball players over the past 10 years have failed school-mandated drug tests, which by university requirements would have demanded their suspension from the team. However, NONE OF THEM WERE PENALIZED! This is not, as of yet, an investigation by the NCAA, which has no formal policy about "recreational drug use", leaving that up to the member schools themselves. Yet the NCAA does require that, if you do have such rules, you must follow them or risk being found guilty of breaking the "Willful Violations" policy of the NCAA, meaning that any time restrictions placed upon investigations, and punishments, would not apply. Worst case for the Orange: They could have wins vacated by the NCAA going back to 2001, which would include their 2002-03 National Championship year.

Hmmmmmmm. Very interesting.

Back shortly, I hope.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #285
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Too little time, too many games. Saturday:

UCLA 75 - Washington 69 = The Bruins at least salvage a little pride by preventing the Huskies from winning the Pac-12 outright . . . even though they did back into it Sunday.

Marquette 83 - Georgetown 69 = Not surprising Marquette won, but the margin does not bode well for the Hoyas' post-season hopes. Their youngsters may be getting tired.

Illinois State 65 - Wichita State 64 = This one shocked me so much it moved me to an unforced error. I put the Shockers in the league championship game, and they did not make it there. They will probably still get an at-large, however.

Mississippi - Alabama 51 = A good win for Ole Miss, though it may be too little too late for them. Like many other schools, they could need a run in the conference tourney to get off the bubble.

Tennessee 68 - Vanderbilt 61 = And I'm not sure this gets the Vols off either, though it does go a good ways towards putting them into serious consideration. But the SEC is so top-heavy the league may not get as many at-large as they are accustomed to receive.

Syracuse 58 - Louisville 49 = Hey, if you score less than 50 points, you don's deserve to win. Yet if you score less than 60 points, you may find yourself in serious trouble down the road. If you are an aspiring Cinderella, wish for the Orange in your bracket.

San Diego State 98 - TCU 92 (OT) = Here's that blow-out I referenced above with Larry. Though his Aztecs came into the game with much better odds of getting an at-large than did Joe's Racers in his game, I feel certain Larry was sweating this one out also.

Penn 68 - Yale 47 = That's one of the wins the Quakers needed to tie Harvard for the Ivy. One more, against Princeton, and we'll have that play-in game again this year, with the Crimson maybe NOT snapping their NCAA-less streak going back to 1946 once more.

Iowa State 80 - Baylor 72 = I think I told you I could see this one coming. And I know I told you long ago that the Baylor Bears were not as good as the polls said they were 6 weeks ago.

North Carolina 88 - Duke 70 = Can you say revenge? Or can you say hubris, since the Blue Devils decided to poke the bear before the game started by playing highlights of their win in Chapel Hill, and the crowd started chanting insults at Zeller. Well, go ahead, Dookies, have your fun. Let's see who's laughing now. BTW, that 48-24 halftime deficit was the largest in Cameron Indoor Sty-dium history.

Harvard 67 - Cornell 63 = The Crimson tried awfully hard to hand the Ivy to Penn here, and there's no excuse for them letting Big Red play them this tight. There's also no way they can feel disrespected if they are not granted an at-large if they cannot win the conference, based on this poor performance in a must-win situation. Yeah, they got the W. Big whup.

Valparaiso 65 - Butler 46 = Valpo shatters Butler's dream of making it back to the Dance. Well, it was a good run for Brad Stevens and the Bulldogs.

Kansas 73 - Texas 63 = As with the 'Cuse win above, it is not a very impressive victory by a probable #1-seed. And the 'Horns really could have used the win to get a better grasp on an at-large.

Sunday:

Stanford 75 - California 70 = I start with this one as it's the backhalf of that UCLA/Wash game above. The Huskies needed help from the Trees to win the Pac-12, with the Golden Bears end up in a tie for 2nd with the Ducks. Will all three of these teams get bids? Will somebody else steal the league tourney and grab the automatic, sending one of these to the pine? This could get real interesting.

Kentucky 74 - Florida 59 = The 'Cats looked real good in this one . . . either that, or the Gators looked awfully bad. Me, I'd split the difference, and give UK props for playing well, and Billy Donovan none for having his team ready for this one.

Florida State 80 - Clemson 72 = I'm not sure the Tigers would have gotten any serious at-large consideration had they taken this one, but you can be pretty sure they'll need a run in the ACC tourney to get a look now.

N. C. State 70 - Virginia Tech 58 = And I'm not sure the W over the "meh" Hokies helped the hopes of Jerry's Wolfpack much either. They too likely need to win maybe 2 this week in the tourney to feel safe . . . or at least to have a legitimate reason to moan-and-cry if they get dissed.

Michigan 71 - Penn State 65 = Another case of a better team playing down to their opponent this weekend. OK, so the Logans did break that 65-point mark I've been harping on so long. Yet for a team tied with 2 others for the Big Ten+ crown to win by two possessions against the Nuttin'ly Lions? Pretty poor, you ask me.

Virginia 75 - Maryland 72 (OT) = I was shocked last week to hear some experts putting UVA on the bubble. OK, so this one was in College Park, but even if I still do not buy that, I can at least understand where they were coming from.

Creighton 83 - Illinois State 79 (OT) = Did you watch this Missouri Valley championship game? Man, it was great. Both teams played well, both fought to the finish, and the Redbirds will likely get nothing out of it save a pat on the back . . . and maybe an invite to the NIT.

Arizona State 87 - Arizona 80 = What? What are you telling me? The Sun Devils beat the Desert 'Cats, and thus put the final nails in their coffin for any hope at all for an at-large bid? Wow. I like Herb Sendek, so I'm happy he could play the spoiler. Now 'Zona's only chance at all it to win the Pac-12 tourney . . . and ruin the at-large hopes of some other team to boot.

Ohio State 72 - Michigan State 70 = Another great game, fought down to the last second. Me, I'm of two minds here. I like the Spartans and Izzo, and I don't much like the Buckeyes and Matta. On the other hand, this result coupled with UNC's spanking of Duke pencils my Heels into that final #1-seed in the NCAAs (though I'm not going to ink it in yet). Regardless, I enjoyed watching this one. And the Spartans have no reason to complain, seeing as how they jumped out on OSU about as badly as my guys did against the Blue Devils, yet could not close it out on their own court. Them's the breaks, but you make most of your own in that regard.

There will be a few more automatics handed out this evening:

VCU vs. Drexel = Both these Colonial teams deserve a ticket to The Dance, and I expect them both to get one. Still, one never knows, so nail it down when you get the chance. This one could be a total war. Flip a coin.

Western Carolina vs. Davidson = The Catamounts and the Wildcats square off for what will likely be the sole Southern Conference dancer. Me, I'm picking the feline from the Old North State in this one.

Gonzaga vs. St. Mary's = Like that Colonial one above, both these WCC teams should have bids in their pockets already. Since I do like the Gaels, and only respect the loud-mouthed 'Zags, I'll pull for St. Mary's tonight.

That's all for me for now. I am looking forward to the end of small-and-midlevel conference tournaments to end, and for the big ones to kick off tomorrow. If nothing else, the reduction in the number of games will mean less work for me here.

Until later then, enjoy.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #286
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

VCU is looking like it will win the CAA, w/ under 3min to go. Loyola is besting Fairfield in the MAAC, w/ less than 4 min to go, but they are both under 50pts, so it's not pretty.

I got home yesterday and saw that H1 UNC/dook score and grinned, knowing you were just lovin' it .

Speaking of UK, I heard this morning that Bob Knight was asked to name his top 5 players and teams for the season, and no mention of UK or Davis. Now, I know he hates Calipari's guts, and can kinda understand the disrespect to the team, but Davis is probably going to be one of the best players for the season, and I can't believe he doesn't get a sniff from the General. However, this is what, the 3rd season for Coach Cal, and I just keep waiting for the shoe to drop. Time will tell.

Now Drexel is within 3 of VCU...tight finish.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #287
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

VCU - Drexel really interesting right now with 45 seconds to go. VCU up by 4.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #288
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
VCU is looking like it will win the CAA, w/ under 3min to go. Loyola is besting Fairfield in the MAAC, w/ less than 4 min to go, but they are both under 50pts, so it's not pretty.

I got home yesterday and saw that H1 UNC/dook score and grinned, knowing you were just lovin' it .

Speaking of UK, I heard this morning that Bob Knight was asked to name his top 5 players and teams for the season, and no mention of UK or Davis. Now, I know he hates Calipari's guts, and can kinda understand the disrespect to the team, but Davis is probably going to be one of the best players for the season, and I can't believe he doesn't get a sniff from the General. However, this is what, the 3rd season for Coach Cal, and I just keep waiting for the shoe to drop. Time will tell.

Now Drexel is within 3 of VCU...tight finish.
No, neither the Colonial nor MAC finals were pretty wins, exciting as they were. Prettier and more exciting were the Southern and WCC ones, as I'll note below.

Thanks for the thought about my Heels, but that's the past. It's time for me to focus on the ACC Tourney now.

I always had a lot of respect for Bobby Knight (yeah, Bobby, I'm old enough to call you that, and not the Bob you started insisting upon back about the time you started tossing chairs around), but I never liked the man much. I have to agree with you that it's just his foul and stubborn personality which moved him to diss some teenage kid who has clearly had an outstanding season. Me, I have my problems with the program at Kentucky also, and neither respect nor like Calipari. Still, fair is fair, no matter one's personal opinions. Finally, as for that "other shoe dropping" point, I'm still giving even odds which comes first . . . a championship, or probation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
VCU - Drexel really interesting right now with 45 seconds to go. VCU up by 4.
But the Rams do hang on and survive a furious comeback by the Dragons to edge them out. It's too bad that Drexel's marvelous season ends, as the Colonial will likely get no at-large. To get to specifics, last night:

VCU 59 - Drexel 56 = What need be said has already, betwixt the three of us, and VCU get the automatic ticket to Dance.

Loyola (MD) 48 - Fairfield 44 = That other ugly conference final, this one in the MAC for their sole automatic. Remember back in November, when I reported the experts predicted Iona would be this season's Cinderella in the NCAA tournament? Well, guess what . . . it ain't gonna happen. Congratulations to the Greyhounds in besting the Stags.

Davidson 93 - Western Carolina 91 (2OT) = Now THIS is more like it! Two teams just a 2-hour busride (if that) from each other fighting like wet cats in a sack for the Southern Conference automatic, and taking an extra 10 minutes to wrap it up for the Wildcats. I wonder if Lefty Dreisell will now start whining that, since the Terps did not name their court after him, they should name the one at Davidson after him instead of some damn store clerk.

St. Mary's 78 - Gonzaga 74 (OT) = Another tight fight, and one with my preferred Gaels stuffing a sock, for now anyway, in the Bulldogs's maws. I figure they'll both be Dancing regardless, but I love it when a braggart gets some comeuppance.

Aside from more conference tourney action today, much of it already over, and including the start of Big East play . . . upon which hinges the hopes of bobble teams like U Conn and Seton Hall . . . we have four huge games this evening:

Penn vs. Princeton = If the Quakers win this one, they earn a share of the Ivy League and force another 1-game playoff with Harvard (as did Princeton last season) for the automatic bid. Of course, if the Tigers win, the Crimson get to Dance for the first time since 1946. Do you think Tommy Amaker and his boys will be watching this one?

Valparaiso vs. Detroit = This is for the Horizon championship, and likely the only bid they'll see. Bryce Drew won't be on the court hitting shots for Valpo tonight, but he shall be on the sidelines calling the shots. I don't know about you, but I'm gonna pull for them to win this one.

North Texas vs. Western Kentucky = And this is for the automatic in the Sun Belt, and their sole shot at a "one-and-done" appearance. Maybe Joe's pulling for WK here, but even though I've a brother in San Antonio, I've no dog in this fight. Let's just hope it's a good clean contest.

South Dakota State vs. Western Illinois = And here's the Summit final, and another "one-and-done" automatic Dance. I know little about either team, and truthfully care even less. Again, let's hope we are entertained.

That's all I'll give you for now, save to report for those Big East fans that both U Conn and Pitt survive their first tests towards miracle runs, putting DePaul and St. John's out of The Garden on the first day. Until later then, enjoy.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #289
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

OK, Joe, I need your input on this one, seeing as how you're the closest thing I've found to a rational Kentucky Wildcat fan. Today the entrants into the National Collegiate Hall of Fame were announced. Amongst the 10 named are Patrick Ewing, Earl Monroe, Willis Reed, Clyde Lovellette, Phil Ford, and Joe. B. Hall.

Joe B. Hall? How does he fit in this list? OK, so he is one of only three guys to win national championships as both players and coach (with Dean Smith and Bobby Knight), getting the former in 1949 under Adolph Rupp at UK (before transferring out of the school, then later transferring back to finish his career), then as a coach in 1978. But his coaching career of 13 years there resulted in a so-so (by UK standards anyway) 297-100 record, and numerous allegations of recruiting violations and illegal payments made to players.

Is it just me, or does this leave a sour taste in other's mouths also? I value you honest opinions here, brother.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #290
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Joe B will get the pass every time, because he coached AND played at UK, and, most importantly, he won a Dance for them as coach. In the Bluegrass, that covers a LOT of sinning, and a Dance covers for that with a lot of people who have say. Me personally, I could go either way, but it would not kill me if he were never voted in. It IS special, VERY special, to win a championship as a player AND as a coach though, so on that "little" fact he probably should go in, given the rarity.

Joe B was pretty well loved in the Bluegrass. I was 13 when they won the Dance with him in '78. I always thought he was a good recruiter, but not so great a coach (kinda like what we have now). I am 47, so I'm not old enough to have watched Rupp run a team. The coaches I have watched in my lifetime are not exactly what I'd call elite, to be honest. I have great sympathy for his problems, but Sutton was horrible for us, and landed our great program on probation. I have respect for Tubby, but he was not destined for that kind of pressure, and I don't like his style of ball. Billy G...? 'Nuff said, though I sympathize with the need to party w/ pretty young things. Coach Cal? Very good recruiter, but in very few cases has he shown me elite coaching skills for the college game. I do think he helps his kids try to prepare for the pro game. And he tried hard to get Cousins to grow up a little before he hit the Big Time. But he has been flat out outclassed at times in coaching, and no other time as significant as against Huggins in last years' loss in the Dance. I know you can't stand Pitino, and I'm not a fan anymore, but I enjoyed his UK years, and thought he did a good job, for the most part. Especially the early times, when we were on probation, but were able to improve each season. Also a good job in recruiting Mashburn. Also in getting Ashley Judd to show up at all the games so I could lust after her .

Oh, and Joe B was pretty well known to Bluegrass faithfuls as not being too righteous in getting and keeping players in UK uniforms, but at least he did it on very good players .

Close game here for the Sun Belt invite- NT up on Western by 4, late in H2. Actually not a Western fan, as they are still in-state rivals . But am rooting for them, I guess.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #291
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

That was a huge win for SDSU. They are the 1 seed in the conference tournament in Vegas. That means UNLV and New Mexico have to play each other to get to State. All in all, they have done extremely well considering this is their rebuilding year.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #292
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Joe B will get the pass every time, because he coached AND played at UK, and, most importantly, he won a Dance for them as coach. In the Bluegrass, that covers a LOT of sinning, and a Dance covers for that with a lot of people who have say. Me personally, I could go either way, but it would not kill me if he were never voted in. It IS special, VERY special, to win a championship as a player AND as a coach though, so on that "little" fact he probably should go in, given the rarity.

Joe B was pretty well loved in the Bluegrass. I was 13 when they won the Dance with him in '78. I always thought he was a good recruiter, but not so great a coach (kinda like what we have now). I am 47, so I'm not old enough to have watched Rupp run a team. The coaches I have watched in my lifetime are not exactly what I'd call elite, to be honest. I have great sympathy for his problems, but Sutton was horrible for us, and landed our great program on probation. I have respect for Tubby, but he was not destined for that kind of pressure, and I don't like his style of ball. Billy G...? 'Nuff said, though I sympathize with the need to party w/ pretty young things. Coach Cal? Very good recruiter, but in very few cases has he shown me elite coaching skills for the college game. I do think he helps his kids try to prepare for the pro game. And he tried hard to get Cousins to grow up a little before he hit the Big Time. But he has been flat out outclassed at times in coaching, and no other time as significant as against Huggins in last years' loss in the Dance. I know you can't stand Pitino, and I'm not a fan anymore, but I enjoyed his UK years, and thought he did a good job, for the most part. Especially the early times, when we were on probation, but were able to improve each season. Also a good job in recruiting Mashburn. Also in getting Ashley Judd to show up at all the games so I could lust after her.

Oh, and Joe B was pretty well known to Bluegrass faithfuls as not being too righteous in getting and keeping players in UK uniforms, but at least he did it on very good players .

Close game here for the Sun Belt invite- NT up on Western by 4, late in H2. Actually not a Western fan, as they are still in-state rivals . But am rooting for them, I guess.
Thanks for the fair and balanced input, Joe. I fully understand, and can even appreciate, the loyalty of fans to a coach or player who has done something to help the home team, and my objection to Joe B. was based more on the basis of my feeling his accomplishments pale in comparison to others in the HoF. Had he coached at UK twice as long, and garnered 600 Ws and 2 rings, I'd stick a sock in it. Still, as I said, I get it. In my home state, and elsewhere, Jimmy V. is revered for what he did at NCSU, but he too was a great recruiter of flawed personalities who wasn't a great practice or bench coach, and who spent entirely too much time in pursuit of other interests to maintain proper discipline amongst his players. Several of his players got into legal difficulties while in Raleigh, most notably a kid from my home town of Hickory, Chris Washburn, who broke into another student's dorm room to steal his stereo system. When asked about it, Valvano's response was that he "was not their father" . . . this while splitting his time between being head coach, AD, part-time TV analyst for CBS Sports, and cookbook author. I am of the opinion that his tragic early death was the sole reason his reputation was not merely saved, but elevated to near-sainthood.

But enough of that, and suffice it to say again, I do get it.

As for Pitino, he's not high on either of my list, naughty or nice, but I'd say I do not detest the man. Hey, I have my problems with Larry Brown too, despite the fact that he's a Tar Heel! I try not to look at the world through Carolina-blue glasses, as any tint can cloud one's vision.

And as for Ashley Juggs . . . yeah, I'd hit that, if she took off that damned UK sweatshirt first.

Quote:
That was a huge win for SDSU. They are the 1 seed in the conference tournament in Vegas. That means UNLV and New Mexico have to play each other to get to State. All in all, they have done extremely well considering this is their rebuilding year.
Congratulations, brother, and good luck in your league tournament. Yet may I suggest you worry more about who your Aztecs face in the first round before you concern yourself with the potential competition in the championship?

Back soon with update.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #293
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Action kicked off last night in the A-10, which is one of the best mid-majors. But there were no shockers there, though I am a bit disappointed the Richmond Spiders lost, and lost any chance to Dance. Shoot, in my book any team calling itself an arachnid instead of another unimaginative moniker such as any feline, ursine, bovine, equine, or raptor deserves some props.

Scores of most NCAA-import include:

Princeton 62 - Penn 52 = I told you the Quakers had a tough row to hoe to steal the Ivy away from Harvard, and the Tigers did what they did last season by acting the spoilers. Congratulations to the Crimson for getting to Dance for the first time since 1946. Now let's see if one of those math whizzes in Cambridge can figure their odds for surviving even a first-round loss. Where's Matt Damon when you need him?

South Dakota State 52 - Western Illinois 50 (OT) = And here's your Summit Conference automatic for you, which will almost certainly be an automatic "one-and-done" for somebody. Serves them right for naming themselves Summit, instead of a more-appropriate Nadir.

Detroit 70 - Valparaiso 50 = I'm not all that surprised that Detroit could steal the Horizon from Valpo, as they've had a good team all season also. But Bryce Drew's boys were better, yet did not show up for this one. I sort of feel for them, but you don't play well enough to win, you don't deserve to do so.

Western Kentucky 74 - North Texas 70 = If your team is on the bubble, count your lucky stars that the Sun Belt will NOT get any at-large consideration, for this Cinderella sub.500 champion would steal away a slot from somebody. Joe may not like WK, but he can at least take solace in the fact that (by my unofficial count) his Bluegrass State will have at least 4 teams Dancing.

Big East tourney games yesterday:

U. Conn 81 - DePaul 67 = No surprise the Huskies beat the crappy Blue Demons, though their high level of play was reminiscent of their miracle run last year. Did this get them off the bubble? Maybe not by itself, but see below.

Pitt 73 - St. John's 59 = A game between two who needed to run the table in or der to Dance. One survived, for now.

Seton Hall 79 - Providence 47 = Though the Friars were better than DePaul this year, they sure didn't play like it in this one. Again, this one was huge for the bubbly Pirates.

Following up on those Big East scores above, today we've seen:

U. Conn 71 - West Virginia 67 (OT) = The Mountaineers had this one, and let it get away from them at the end of regulation. Does this get the Huskies off that dreaded bubble. Likely so. Does it put WVA back on it? Maybe, maybe not. I personally hate the idea of the Big Mouth getting twice as many bids as do the other power conferences, but with the chairman of the Selection Committee being a U Conn guy . . . well, I don't need to say it, do I?

Georgetown 64 - Pitt 52 = The Panthers lost season ends with a thump. They would have had to make it at least to the championship game to even get ON the bubble, much less get over it. The Hoyas move on, as one may have thought unlikely in November, but figured would happen come March.

Action kicks off in some other name conference tourneys today, such as the Big 12Minus2, the Pac-12, and the CUSA. It will also continue in other leagues, and will end in three other automatic berths:

Robert Morris vs. Long Island = This will give us the automatic in the Northeast Conference. Who will win? I don't much care.

Lehigh vs. Bucknell = Nor do I care much about who's Dancing out of the Patriot, as it won't last long.

Weber State vs. Montana = And pretty much the same for the Big Sky automatic bid. Don't get me wrong . . . I congratulate any and all these winners, when it happens, as I fully realize that making the NCAAs may very well be the highlight in the careers of these young men. But I'll get excited about it when they manage to give somebody a scare, even if they cannot manage the Cinderella upset.

Two more Big East games may have NCAA implications tonight:

Seton Hall vs. Louisville = I'm not sure the Pirates are over the bubble yet, and I'm not sure the Cardinals will hang around long even if they are safe, considering how they closed out their season. This becomes big for both teams, as one tries to set their sails while the other tries to right the ship.

Villanova vs. South Florida = As with several other teams, I'm not as sure as some that the Bulls are safely over the bubble yet. As I've said already, I don't much like the idea of one conference getting half or more of their teams into the Dance. As for the Wildcats, I have no such concerns; they will have to win the league tourney in order to get Wright's boys right.

That's all for me this evening. Pick your poison, from either these or the other league tournament action not specified, and enjoy.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #294
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Congratulations, brother, and good luck in your league tournament. Yet may I suggest you worry more about who your Aztecs face in the first round before you concern yourself with the potential competition in the championship?

Back soon with update.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure we can take Boise State, after that, who knows?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #295
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we can take Boise State, after that, who knows?

Well, you could be right, seeing as how they were up 11 with about 5 1/2 to play the last time I checked. On the other hand, we were both pretty sure your Aztecs could take Air Force in Colorado Springs, and we know how that turned out.

Before I give my update, there's a huge potential story I need to report. Suspended Auburn point guard Varez Ward is under investigation for possible point-shaving, notably in games this year against Arkansas and Alabama. Officials at Auburn got reports from his teammates that Ward tried to recruit him into the scheme, and forwarded this information to both the NCAA and the FBI. Both agencies will be involved in the investigation.

Now this, this is huge. This is not some over-zealous recruitment by an assistant coach, or a no-show job to some player from some booster, or even an outright illegal payment to a prospect. Not only can this result in a death-penalty type probation slapped upon Auburn athletics, regardless of their culpability or their willingness to co-operate, but it could land the young man in prison for a looooong time too. We need to REALLY keep an eye on this story.

Back soon, I hope.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #296
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Action has begun today in the last big conference tournaments like the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac12. But before we get to that, more scores of note from yesterday:

Long Island 90 - Robert Morris 73 = Here is your Northeast automatic bid.

Lehigh 82 - Bucknell 77 = And in a close one, here's your Patriot champ.

Montana 85 - Weber State 66 = And this is the Big Sky guy. Congratulations to all three for punching their tickets.

Louisville 61 - Seton Hall 66 = A win by the Pirates may have gotten them off the bubble, but now they will have to sweat it out with all the other also-rans.

South Florida 56 - Villanova 47 = Me, I figure this one put the Bulls in. As for 'Nova, they were toast without a sweep, so they are burnt.

In early action today we've already had a few interesting outcomes:

Iowa 64 - Illinois 61 = I'm not sure about the post-season statue of the Hawkeyes, but the complete collapse of the Illini is completely complete now. Is the career of Bruce Weber in Champaign done also?

Syracuse 58 - U Conn 55 = The Orange bogarted the Big East regular season, and now tries to roll another one in the tournament. As for the Huskies, their roll of 13 straight post-season wins is over, though their season likely isn't.

Cincinnati 72 - Georgetown 70 (2OT) = The rather remarkable success of the Bearcats since that brawl with Xavier continues in this all-out war. The young Hoyas get a quick lesson on tourney play.

N. C. State 78 - Boston College 57 = This first-round win over the Eagles will not put Jerry's Wolfpack over the bubble, but it does keep their hopes alive, for at least one more day.

San Diego State 65 - Boise State 62 = As Larry predicted, his Aztecs could handle Boise State . . . though not so handily.

Oregon State 86 - Washington 84 = Whoh! Here's your shock of the afternoon, as the Pac-12 regular-season champ goes down in the first round. This opens the door for some darkhorse to take the automatic bid, and swipe an at-large from one of those hopeful bubble teams. Hey, $#!+ happens!

Marshall vs. Tulsa = This is winding down, and with the CUSA one of those leagues who's number of bids is in question, it is huge for both squads. As I type, the Golden Hurricanes are up a few possessions over the Thundering Herd, but with 3+ to play it is far from over.

UCLA vs. Arizona = Recall my remark above about a Pac-12 darkhorse? Well, you have two going head-to-head here. And with the experts saying this conference won't get more than a couple of bids, this one is huge for the Bruins and the Wildcats, both of which are extremely bubbly.

Nebraska vs. Purdue = The Boilermakers may be slightly less bubbly than those two, but they are still pretty evervescent. A win over the Cornhuskers won't help much, but it will give them another shot to improve their resume.

Stanford vs. California = Were I on the Committee, I'd likely have these two in regardless. But the last time I checked, they pay even less attention to me than do you guys. In light of that, this is big, and not only for them. Hey, if the Tree can knock the OTHER favorite out of the tourney, that imrpoves the odds for that theoretical darkhorse . . . and decreases the odds for your bubble team.

South Florida vs. Notre Dame = Like I said earlier, I've got the Bulls in already. Yet as I said right above, my vote don't count. However, a win over the ranked Irish squad would sew it up good.

Texas vs. Iowa State = And even though it may not sew it up for the Longhorns, a win here would greatly improve their chances of landing an at-large.

Georgia vs. Mississippi State = But unlike those 'Horns, who made a late charge to get into the discussion, the MSU Bulldogs made a late slide to get out of it. They are not totally dead maybe, but a loss to these OTHER 'Dogs (in both senses of the word) might be the DNR they've slipped towards for almost a month now.

Colorado vs. Oregon = And speaking of dogs, here are two pretty good underdogs in the Pac-12 chase who could easily put themselves in that darkhorse picture . . . if you'll excuse the mixed-breed metaphor.

That's it for now, brothers. Until tomorrow then, enjoy.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #297
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Well, you could be right, seeing as how they were up 11 with about 5 1/2 to play the last time I checked. On the other hand, we were both pretty sure your Aztecs could take Air Force in Colorado Springs, and we know how that turned out.

Back soon, I hope.
Nothing to it, in control all the way....
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #298
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Nothing to it, in control all the way....

Yeah, and that off-balance trey at the buzzer by Jamaal Franklin over a double-team for the 3-point victory was nothing but the cherry atop the icing on the cake. Easy-pesy.

Update soon.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #299
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Other important, or at least more interesting, scores from last night:

LSU 70 - Arkansas 54 = This did not make the Tigers' season, but it might have ended it for the 'Hogs.

Southern Miss 81 - East Carolina 78 (OT) = The Pirates fought hard to keep their season alive, but fell just short.

Marshall 105 - Tulsa 100 (3OT) = But that CUSA conflict was as nothing compared to this one, with the Herd finally edging away before the 4th buzzer sounded.

Arizona 66 - UCLA 58 = The 'Cats still have a slim chance of salvaging their season, and the Bruins have maybe managed to survive their homeless one with only their coaching staff, team chemistry, and reputation destroyed.

Minnesota 75 - Northwestern 68 (OT) = And these 'Cats have likely had their hopes of getting an at-large crushed because they could not do in the extra 5 minutes what they'd done for the previous 40.

Virginia Tech 68 - Clemson 63 = And these cats, of the Tiger-ous variety, only had an outside shot at a bid to start. Well, that's done.

Louisville 84 - Marquette 71 = And if the Cardinals had played as well all year as they have in this tourney so far, maybe they would be the ones as over-rated as are the Golden Eagles.

Notre Dame 57 - South Florida 53 (OT) = I've been saying for a while that I'd give the Bulls a bid, were it my call. Man, I sure hope they did not p!$$ that away in the extra 300 seconds of this one.

Texas 71 - Iowa State 65 = I'm not sure the Longhorns can yet breathe easily about their chance for an at-large, but they ought to breathe easier anyway.

Georgia 71 - Mississippi State 61 = As should the Bulldogs here, and I mean both teams by that. Neither one deserves a bid, as one collapsed and the other never showed up in the first place.

Today's early finals:

North Carolina 85 - Maryland = About the same sort of spanking the Heels gave the Terps a week or so back in Chapel Hill, and a good start to their ACC tourney . . . if John Henson's wrist injury sustained in the 1st half is no more than a minor sprain.

U Mass 77 - Temple 71 = Maybe a shock to some, but not for those who've seen U Mass play well, and the Owls play poorly at times, this year . . . or for those who know that anything can happen come tournament time.

Michigan State 92 - Iowa 75 = It's no surprise to me that Izzo had his boys ready for this one, following that home loss to the Buckeyes where they coulda shoulda won the regular-season championship, and didn't.

Kentucky 60 - LSU 51 = And it's no surprise to me that the 'Cats came sleepwalking into this one, against a team they shoulda blown out of the stadium, considering how loudly Cal has baitched about not caring one dinky-dang for conference tournaments. Well then, forfeit, and stay the hell in Lexington, Cal! Sheesh.

N. C. State 67 - Virginia 64 = Has the Wolfpack put themselves over the bubble, while putting the Cavaliers squarely on it? Hmmmmm. I'll let you know on Sunday.

Wisconsin 79 - Indiana 70 = Two of the Big Ten+ darkhorses for the tourney title have to face each other, and only the Badgers survive the day.

Florida vs. Alabama = And here's the darkhorses for stealing the SEC from UK, who doesn't want it in the first place. Last I looked, they were tied with under 6 to play.

Minnesota vs. Michigan = The Golden Gophers likely need another win or two to get un-bubbly, and this one would be huge for them. As for the Wolverines, who snuck into a share of the regular season 1st place, I'm not sure what this means to them. Could be an interesting contrast, between a team that wants it and a team that could care less.

LaSalle vs. Saint Louis = What with the Temple Owls out of the A-10, not to mention the Bonnies taking out their raptor neighbors St. Joe's already today, here the fight for the tourney champ and the automatic becomes more interesting too. With at-large bids at such a premium, bubble teams need take note.

Virginia Tech vs. Duke = The Blue Devils get their first taste of ACC action since their whuppin' in Durham, and might just do the same thing to the Hokies that the Spartans did to the Hawkeyes. Yet it remains to be seen what adjustments they need to make after losing forward Kelly for a while to a (supposedly) minor injury.

Cincinnati vs. Syracuse = I keep expecting one of these teams who've faced that Orange zone to bust them wide open some night, but so far nobody's done it. It will happen. Can the Bearcats prove me right, or shall I have to wait for another days?

Mississippi vs. Tennessee = Here's two more of those bubbly teams in need of some sort of run. I don't know if either can win a bid tonight, but either one could lose one.

Baylor vs. Kansas = And neither one of these can lose a bid tonight, but only one can get a firmer grasp on a #1-seed in the NCAAs. The Jayhawks might retain it even if they do lose, but it would open the door for bidders like Michigan State, Duke, Ohio State, or Missouri . . . though the low RPI and SoS for Mizzou may preclude that, even if they win the Big12Minus2. Baylor's chance? In this game, ehhh, OK I guess. Overall? Forget it.

Purdue vs. Ohio State = In my book, I'd sooner see the Boilermakers get an at-large than the umpteenth Big Mouth team slated to lose in the first round (hey, you can look it up if you think that's just some insult). If they can knock off the Buckeyes they'll not only remove them from that 1-seed discussion above, they will probably insure their chance to Dance.

Oregon State vs. Arizona = But with the lack of respect the Pac12 gets, neither of these are safe, regardless of the results of this game. The old saw, "survive and advance" applies to these guys even before Selection Sunday comes, since they may just need to win the automatic to even get a ticket.

Colorado State vs. San Diego State = Larry's Aztecs tried awfully hard to p!$$ away a large late win to Boise State yesterday, and almost "succeeded". They give CSU that sort of shot, and they may be sorry.

Miami vs. Florida State = The 'Canes need another good win to get firmly into the bubble group. The 'Noles need nothing save to play well. I could see Miami taking this one, as it means much more to them.

Louisville vs. Notre Dame = I don't much care either way, but it ought to be a pretty good game.

Texas vs. Missouri = As with a number already mentioned, the Longhorns need every win they can garner to get safely out of Bubbleville. One over Mizzou would probably do that once a for all, and as I've thought for a while that the Tigers can be taken, I'll give them a shot at it. Of secondary importance, it would also take Mizzou out of any possible late discussion for a #1-seed.

New Mexico vs. UNLV = Most of the main competition for that Mountain West crown Larry wants for his Aztecs square off here, though I'd imagine he'll pull for the Lobos over the Rebels, if only for the fact that the neutral court for this thing is in Vegas.

Colorado vs. California = I wonder, as does any Pac12 fan, just how many or how few bids they will receive out there. Bottom line, if you want to make sure you get to Dance, you'd better win the whole damn thing so you don't have to sweat it out. Cal stumbled late to lose the regular-season to the Washington Huskies, who themselves stumbled early in the tournament by losing to Oregon State. This opens it up somewhat for the Golden Bears to regain their "edge" out west. The Buffaloes have different ideas, and won't roll over for them. This ought to be fun.

That's it for me today. Pick a spot to sit, grab a brew or two, and enjoy.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #300
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post

New Mexico vs. UNLV = Most of the main competition for that Mountain West crown Larry wants for his Aztecs square off here, though I'd imagine he'll pull for the Lobos over the Rebels, if only for the fact that the neutral court for this thing is in Vegas.
You got that right!