Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I have 2 coolidors at home what would I need to do to get them to be able to lock and still keep air tightness and such without having to buy a new coolidor
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
I have 2 coolidors at home what would I need to do to get them to be able to lock and still keep air tightness and such without having to buy a new coolidor
You could use a locking hasp, but any lock you use will be stronger than the cooler itself and could just be pulled off. Why do you need to lock a cooler? You could also just put the coolers in a closet and lock the door.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Why do you need to lock a cooler?
Kids and a woman at the house that are vengeful and on way out. Closet won't work cause all my closets she has a reason to get into.I'm not worried about my son because he respects me.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Kids and a woman at the house that are vengeful and on way out. Closet won't work cause all my closets she has a reason to get into.I'm not worried about my son because he respects me.
I would take them to a friends house for temporary storage. Not really practical to put a lock on a plastic cooler, you could just yank out the screws with a pair of pliers.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
I would take them to a friends house for temporary storage. Not really practical to put a lock on a plastic cooler, you could just yank out the screws with a pair of pliers.
Bob is wise.

Epoxy wouldn't hold any better than the screws - plus, one doesn't even have to get into a cooler or humidor to damage the contents.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Depends how badly they leak. Being completely airtight isn't necessary. Some self-adhesive vinyl foam weather stripping can help tremendously, but you might have to weight the lid to get them to close fully (stack the coolers, place a few hard cover books on the top cooler, or something). If the leak is severe, you're probably better off just getting a new cooler and either using the leaky one for it's intended purpose or just sell it on Craigslist for a few bucks.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Is it wise to put a humi pillow with sticks being mailed?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Zeuceone
You're next

LGC

Another question I seen some cigars with what looks like some small circles that are lighter in color than the wrapper. Is that from beetles? Its about ten or so, I know its not normal
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Is it wise to put a humi pillow with sticks being mailed?
Depends on where you are mailing them. For any shipments in the CONUS + Hawaii, I don't use them. If the cigars are properly humidified prior to shipment and placed in a bag that doesn't leak, the cigars will be there in a few days and it's not really necessary. The only time I use them is when I direct ship to Iraq/A'stan or Japan and the shipments can take weeks to be delivered (7-10 days for Japan).

Quote:
Another question I seen some cigars with what looks like some small circles that are lighter in color than the wrapper. Is that from beetles? Its about ten or so, I know its not normal
Those sound like waterspots. Just a cosmetic discoloration in the leaf, nothing to worry about. Doesn't affect taste or structural integrity, just looks unattractive.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Zeuceone
You're next

LGC

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

So I've have my 200ct humidor for about a year now. I have two bead tubes in it that are up to the size of the humidor (I always go above the recommended amount so I know there there is plenty). It is usually at 68% and I typically "energize" the beads once every two months of so. Recently I have noticed that every time I go into the humidor after adding more water, it's already down to about 60-62% in about a week. The beads are turning a tan/sandy color and all I have been using is distilled water in a spray bottle.
Do beads go bad? Is this something I should be worried about?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

You will see many threads about people having Rh "problems" at this time of year. Nothing to be concerned about. Beads dont go bad. But with the increase in the heat inside your house also comes a drop in humidity and the beads will work harder. You can increase the % of clear beads to 75-80% and that will help. There is nothing wrong with any Rh between 60 and 70%. As long as your cigars are smoking well there is nothing to worry about.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
You will see many threads about people having Rh "problems" at this time of year. Nothing to be concerned about. Beads dont go bad. But with the increase in the heat inside your house also comes a drop in humidity and the beads will work harder. You can increase the % of clear beads to 75-80% and that will help. There is nothing wrong with any Rh between 60 and 70%. As long as your cigars are smoking well there is nothing to worry about.
All very true.

I just wanted to add a comment that directly addresses Todd's mention of his beads turning a tan color. Todd, most likely it's a little tobacco dust or something related in the air of the humidor is causing them to stain. It happens often and as Bob said, they don't go bad and there is nothing to worry about, aside from the change in color, it doesn't affect them in the slightest.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Zeuceone
You're next

LGC

The color change is usually due to ammonia absorbing into them.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
The color change is usually due to ammonia absorbing into them.
Ammonia is colorless.

But it may also be due to other organic/inorganic compounds released by the cigars. I seem recall Dave from Heartfelt saying something about this a while ago.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #16
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Just don't remember it dropping that low last year.
The few cigars I've had lately seem to be smoking very well. I'll just have to watch it a little more closely.
Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
omgbiscuit
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (0)
omgbiscuit is on a distinguished road

I was originally planning on buying a humi, but the more I search around here the more I'm convinced I should just buy a cooler and turn it into one

My only problem is that, though I've searched, I'm finding it hard to find any information for the complete newb on how to start and maintain a coolerdor.

Also how would I go about procuring some boxes for one if I don't have a B&M nearby that sells any cigars aside from maybe some swischer sweets, but I don't really fancy putting those boxes in there.
omgbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgbiscuit View Post
I was originally planning on buying a humi, but the more I search around here the more I'm convinced I should just buy a cooler and turn it into one

My only problem is that, though I've searched, I'm finding it hard to find any information for the complete newb on how to start and maintain a coolerdor.

Also how would I go about procuring some boxes for one if I don't have a B&M nearby that sells any cigars aside from maybe some swischer sweets, but I don't really fancy putting those boxes in there.
Alright brother, here's what you do.

1. Go to Walmart
2. Get a cooler, 70-150 quart pick one you think is reasonable and then buy 2 sizes bigger than that.
3. Take the cooler and clean it out with hot water and baking soda (let it dry out)
4. Buy heartfelt or shilala beads. (use their charts and round up BIG time)
5. Fill said cooler
6. Buy another one
7. Repeat.
8. Repeat some more.
9. PM me with any questions you ever have, I will answer them all.

With the beads you'll need to use a spray bottle with distilled water every 2 months and when you get them. Just read the instructions at heartfelt or shilala's beads and you'll be good as gold. Most of the people here (90%+) swear by them, including myself. Others that have huge epic aristocrats that require something else entirely.

Now as for cigars, you can use many of online vendors. Most of us will tell you cigarsatyourprice.com is the best vendor out there or the party source. Maybe towercigars or fullers pullers. Anyways just pick one and buy samplers and see what you like. Everyones tastes are different. If you have no B&M shop near you (within an hour) you're stuck ordering online. It's not a bad thing but you'll have to find out what kind of cigars you like. Maybe even buy a nice 20-25 cigar sampler from someone here at CA.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
omgbiscuit
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (0)
omgbiscuit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Alright brother, here's what you do.

1. Go to Walmart
2. Get a cooler, 70-150 quart pick one you think is reasonable and then buy 2 sizes bigger than that.
3. Take the cooler and clean it out with hot water and baking soda (let it dry out)
4. Buy heartfelt or shilala beads. (use their charts and round up BIG time)
5. Fill said cooler
6. Buy another one
7. Repeat.
8. Repeat some more.
9. PM me with any questions you ever have, I will answer them all.

With the beads you'll need to use a spray bottle with distilled water every 2 months and when you get them. Just read the instructions at heartfelt or shilala's beads and you'll be good as gold. Most of the people here (90%+) swear by them, including myself. Others that have huge epic aristocrats that require something else entirely.

Now as for cigars, you can use many of online vendors. Most of us will tell you cigarsatyourprice.com is the best vendor out there or the party source. Maybe towercigars or fullers pullers. Anyways just pick one and buy samplers and see what you like. Everyones tastes are different. If you have no B&M shop near you (within an hour) you're stuck ordering online. It's not a bad thing but you'll have to find out what kind of cigars you like. Maybe even buy a nice 20-25 cigar sampler from someone here at CA.
Thanks for the great details!

Definitely expect a few PMs, you dug your own grave on that one!

I assume with the baking soda you just mean let a box sit in there for a few days rather than just sprinkle it in there?

I have to get a little more time under my belt before I'm able to join in the trades here, unfortunately.
omgbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #20
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgbiscuit View Post
I have to get a little more time under my belt before I'm able to join in the trades here, unfortunately.
You're able to trade sooner than you think... check out the Newbie Sampler Trade.