Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #241
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

OK, to get firstly to those scores already mentioned above:

Duke 78 - N. C. State 73 = The 'Pack came into Cameron hot, but could not cool down the Curry to hold off the Blue Devils. NCSU led by 16 at the break, and got it up to 20 or so, yet could not keep Dook from surging back to steal it away from them. Well, they did play well, and have two more shots at that "upset" they want to follow, both in Raleigh. And congrats to Duke for playing tough when it really counted.

Florida State 48 - Virginia Tech 47 = The 'Noles dodged a bullet on their home court also, and the Hokies missed a shot at their best win since they got the Cavs in Charlottesville earlier. Again, good for them for playing tough, but I'm not going to give 'grats to the Semiholes for exhibiting more luck than skill. If they play that way in Raleigh Saturday, Jerry may have something to grin about.

Michigan State 69 - Wisconsin 55 = Long ago, in a galaxy far far away, the Spartans started off 0-2 and were predicted to crash and burn. Meanwhile, in a distant star system, the Badgers were supposed to be the singular challenge to The Evil Empire in Columbus OH for control of The Force in Big Ten+ play. How things can change when a Jedi like Tom Izzo gets his lightsaber humming. (Hell, I don't know why I went there, aside from being bored, unless I've been tempted by The Dark Side.)

West Virginia 66 - Pittsburgh 48 = It has stopped being surprising when the Panthers lose, but even against a decent Mountaineer squad this one puzzles. Pitt was only down 1 at the half, yet were still blown out . . . AT HOME! Pitiful.

Vanderbilt 102 - Mississippi 76 = Speaking of blowouts, the Comms got one I did not expect here. Sure, they had to be favored over the Rebels, but just as I said I'd about been convinced they are not for real, they just purely stomp their opponent, on the road.

Tonight gives me only a pair of games I've even the slightest interest in:

Cornell vs. Penn = With Harvard at 7-1 and Yale at 6-2, both Big Red (5-3) and the Quakers (5-2) are gonna need some help along the way to take the Ivy. Still, they have to win tonight to keep those hopes reasonably alive, and as they both can't do so this one's huge.

Valparaiso vs. Loyola-Marymount = One of ESPN's early Bracket Buster games, and it should be a pretty good one to boot.

And since I've got a little time, lemme also get some early Saturday action posted here now:

Drexel vs. Cleveland State = Another BB game, and with the same potential to be a Barn-Burner.

Louisville vs. DePaul = A pretty important game for the Cardinals in Rosemont, as at the least Pitino wants his kids gearing up for post-season play in hostile environments. As for the Blue Demons, it would be a huge upset for them were they to take this one, though its meaning over the long haul would be next-to-nothing. Unless they run the table in the Big East Tourney, they're already dead.

Marquette vs. U. Conn = The same might even hold true for the Huskies . . . kinda like it did last year. A win in Hartford would go some ways towards saving U Conn's season, though with the way they've played this last month deems that unlikely. And even though they are safely out of the cellar, another loss would put them 2 games under .500 in league play. Me, I'm expecting just that.

Wichita State vs. Davidson = Another Bracket Buster, but though I'd like to give the Wildcats a decent chance in Charlotte (well, its suburbs, anyway) here, I really think the Shockers are the better team. Would it be a shocker if Davidson won? No, but it would be at least a minor upset.

UCLA vs. St. John's = No, NOT a BB-matchup, though maybe it might as well be one. Much like DePaul, the Johnnies ain't going nowhere without a miracle. The Bruins might not either, although their play of late has improved . . . if that's really saying anything. Hey, even the Wear twins have contributed in big ways recently, and this Tar Heel has no problem saying "Good for them." This is in MSG, and it's a hard one to call. SJU has talented freshmen who show up to play about every 3rd or 4th game, and UCLA's seemingly played down to their opponents all year. Flip a coin over these two legendary programs.

Maryland vs. Virginia = The Terps haven't done much this year, while the Cavs have done a lot more than was expected of them. Yet they have also lost 3 or their last 4, which isn't a good sign. It's in Charlottesville, and UVA's only lost to VT there so far, and I'd lean towards them in this one.

Florida State vs. N. C. State = Here's the Wolfpack's second chance for that signature win they need to solidify that at-large they lust for, badly. I'm gonna give them at least as good a shot at it as I did last night against Duke, and you know how close that one was. Plus, of the 'Noles' 7 losses, 4 of them came on the road. On the other hand, 4 of State's losses have come at home, so there's that too.

UNLV vs. New Mexico = The Runnin' Rebels are coming off a big upset loss at TCU, while the Lobos are coming off a huge win at San Diego State. So one wants to turn things around, and the other wants to continue on its roll. I'm looking for a war in Albuquerque.

Tennessee vs. Alabama = Can the Vols continue to surprise people by finally winning some games, and will the Tide continue to recede by losing them? I'd say it's about 50/50.

Kansas State vs. Baylor = The 'Cats have dropped two in a row already now, and are likely to make that four, what with this one in Waco followed by a visit to Missouri. As I'm not a big fan of of Frank Martin, I'd have to say it couldn't happen to a much-nicer guy.

That's about all for the moment. If I don't see you here later today, I'll be back tomorrow with later weekend action. Until when then, enjoy.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #242
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

The NC State meltdown was bad. But not as bad as VT against FLA State. I expect SDSU to bounce back Sat.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #243
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Duke 78 - N. C. State 73 = The 'Pack came into Cameron hot, but could not cool down the Curry to hold off the Blue Devils. NCSU led by 16 at the break, and got it up to 20 or so, yet could not keep Dook from surging back to steal it away from them. Well, they did play well, and have two more shots at that "upset" they want to follow, both in Raleigh. And congrats to Duke for playing tough when it really counted.
The Pack played 30 minutes of great basketball. However, the last ten is what counted.. It looked like the Pack was worn out. Dook put the full court press on in the second half and just outran our guys. It's easy to do when you have three first strings. The pack seems to have about 4/5 of a first string. That and foul troubles were too much.... Perhaps next year...

Of course the local radio callers are saying the officials threw if for Duke.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #244
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
The NC State meltdown was bad. But not as bad as VT against FLA State. I expect SDSU to bounce back Sat.
From the perspective of THIS Tar Heel, BOTH meltdowns sucked.

I've not looked yet - who's your Aztecs facing tomorrow Larry?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #245
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
The Pack played 30 minutes of great basketball. However, the last ten is what counted.. It looked like the Pack was worn out. Dook put the full court press on in the second half and just outran our guys. It's easy to do when you have three first strings. The pack seems to have about 4/5 of a first string. That and foul troubles were too much.... Perhaps next year...

Of course the local radio callers are saying the officials threw if for Duke.

I was rootin' for them, Jerry, though for somewhat selfish reasons.

And yeah, the zebras always get the blame . . . and even on rare occasions deserve some.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #246
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Speaking of "zebra blame"; I do not claim to know all the rules of the college game, so I will ask you guys. Saw a weird "call" at the last Racer home game. Racers are on D, and covering pretty good, when the ref blows the whistle. Everyone stands there for about 5 s, and the ref NEVER makes a signal or vocal call. After about 5s, he goes to the scorers' table without making the call and asks to see the display for a replay. Stands there with another ref and watches relay for a couple of minutes, and then walks back on-court and signals the foul (I don't even remember now, I was so shocked by the actions). Is that even LEGAL?!?!?!?!? I thought the rule was, you blow the whistle, you make your call, NOT "I think there's gonna be a foul here, so I'll blow, then go look and see".

I thought this on par with last year during the Racer's BracketBuster game, when the refs stopped play and actually went to the ESPN crew and ASKED THEM what they thought they saw. We have had some horrible refs the last few seasons, and I've seen some awful calls made against Racer opponents also, so I do not say this out of "homerism".
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #247
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Speaking of "zebra blame"; I do not claim to know all the rules of the college game, so I will ask you guys. Saw a weird "call" at the last Racer home game. Racers are on D, and covering pretty good, when the ref blows the whistle. Everyone stands there for about 5 s, and the ref NEVER makes a signal or vocal call. After about 5s, he goes to the scorers' table without making the call and asks to see the display for a replay. Stands there with another ref and watches relay for a couple of minutes, and then walks back on-court and signals the foul (I don't even remember now, I was so shocked by the actions). Is that even LEGAL?!?!?!?!? I thought the rule was, you blow the whistle, you make your call, NOT "I think there's gonna be a foul here, so I'll blow, then go look and see".

I thought this on par with last year during the Racer's BracketBuster game, when the refs stopped play and actually went to the ESPN crew and ASKED THEM what they thought they saw. We have had some horrible refs the last few seasons, and I've seen some awful calls made against Racer opponents also, so I do not say this out of "homerism".
Having not seen it, I'd be foolish to comment specifically on that call brother. But off the top of my head I'd have to agree with the oddness of such a "replay" call. As far as I know, refs only consult replays to make a determination of time, not of fouls or possessions. As with baseball, what the official calls at the point of play IS WHAT IS, right or wrong. True, you do on occasion see refs consult with each other on the validity of the initial call, yet this is much more common in football than other team sports.

And as for refs in general, I myself have seen too many bad calls over the years to allow myself to agonize over them overly. If it goes against my team, I just say "What's that $#!+??", and move on. If it goes for them, I just say "Well, OK, I'll take it, thank you", and hope it does not determine the outcome of the game. This is one reason I, as a long-time Tar Heel, so valued the equally long-time radio announcer for UNC, Woody Durham, who retired after the end of last season. He always called it like he saw it, and if it was a bad call either way he'd say so. This seemed to me not only just, but vital for a radio play-by-play voice, since we then knew we could trust him to tell us exactly what had happened without any taint of "homerism" . . . which I consider a fault to be avoided at all costs.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting issue, Joe, and also thanks for exhibiting a balanced attitude about it.

Back shortly with update.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #248
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

So here's a few scores from last night:

Penn 73 - Cornell 66 = The Ivy race may be decided more today with the upcoming Yale/Harvard game, but this win was vital for the Quakers to keep their hopes alive.

Loyola-Marymount 61 - Valparaiso 53 = I guess it was a decent enough BracketBuster game, and I've not much more to say about it.

VCU 77 - Northern Iowa 68 = But this one may have more meaning in the long run . . . and may not. The Rams improve to 23-6 (13-3 in the Colonial Athletic), and remain in the hunt for a bid. But it's hard to predict how deep the NCAA will go into the CAC, and with a RPI of 75 at the moment, it does not look good for VCU . . . unless they keep winning, that is. Keep your eye on them.

The one early final today was a blowout, with Drexel taking Cleveland State 69-49. I'd hoped for a better game, but what can you do? Meanwhile, Marquette is spanking U Conn at the break 43-29 (no surprise), and DePaul is up 10 over Louisville at halftime (somewhat a surprise), but there's plenty of time for anything to happen.

Later games today include:

Missouri vs. Texas A&M = It's in College Station, but the Aggies haven't done it all year, so who can think they'll do it against the surging Tigers?

Arizona vs. Washington = With their competition facing what should be "gimme" games today, this is the key contest in the Pac12 today. The Desert 'Cats are 3rd in the league at 10-4, with the Huskies tied with Cal on top at 11-3. When you consider how far the conference has dipped in the respect it receives (justified or not), and the NCAA possibly giving few at-larges to them, each win is huge.

Nevada vs. Iona = One of those BB games that could be a lot of fun.

Seton Hall vs. Cincinnati = At 18-8 each, you'd have to feel the post-season hopes of both hinge upon how they close out the balance of the year. A win may not get the victor safely over the bubble, but a loss may put them on the backside. Then again, maybe not, since the Selection Committee seems to labor under the fantasy that a losing record in the Big Mouth Conference does not mean you should not Dance.

Clemson vs. North Carolina = OK, so Clemson's not all that good this year, despite the fact they did beat UVA in Littlejohn, and have 3 Ws in a row. And OK, so the Tigers have struggle a little bit when they play in Chapel Hill, where their record stands presently at 0-55 there. Still, I've got that funky feeling about this one. The Heels have been winning ugly lately, and their loss to Dook was ugly too. If both team play their best, it will be a blowout for UNC. However, as the Heels have only played their best for about 5 minutes at a time all season, I think this may be closer than Roy would wish.

San Diego State vs. Air Force = Larry said yesterday he expected SDSU to bounce back today. Hey, me too. Yes, the game's in Colorado Springs, but I figure the Aztecs will make feathered cloaks out of the Falcons.

Texas vs. Oklahoma State = I'm not a Longhorn fan, though I don't really hate them. My main problems stem from Mac Brown's (understandable, but still) desertion from UNC to coach at UT, and Rick Barnes' verbal arrogance against Dean Smith while he was at the aforementioned Clemson. Still, I am intrugued by their late push towards a possible at-large bid, which I figure will continue today in Stillwater.

Mississippi vs. Kentucky = Please. Do you really think the Rebels can upset the rolling 'Cats in Rupp?

Illinois vs. Nebraska = The Illini are reeling, but have a good shot at stopping the bleeding against the 'Huskers in Lincoln. And if they don't, they might as well just hang it up. They're toast.

St. Mary's vs. Murray State = Even though a tiny bit of the lustre's off this one following the Racers' first loss, this is still one hell of a great match-up between two very good mid-major programs. Me, I won't call it, even if I had a clue. On the one hand, I like and respect Joe's devotion to MSU. On the other, I like and respect the Gaels. So just sit back and enjoy the fun.

Florida vs. Arkansas = And I'm not going to pick this one either, because both teams have been good and lousy. Since they don't seem to know who they are, how the hell can you expect me to know it?

LaSalle vs. U Mass = Like that Racers/Gaels one above, this is another very good match-up which could go down to the final few possessions.

Yale vs. Harvard = Here's the key Ivy game of the day, and maybe of the year. The Eli are in 2nd at 7-2, and the Crimson in 1st at 8-1. And don't forget, there is NO IVY TOURNEY!, so whoever takes the regular season gets the league's only bid. Need I say more? I didn't think so.

Georgetown vs. Providence = Yeah, it's true the Friars spanked Louisville 90-59 a while back. But that was after a 4-game losing streak, which was followed by another 4-game losing streak, then after a W against Rutgers has been followed by a 3rd 4-game losing streak. Even in RI, and even with the Hoya youth, that streak should go to 5 this evening.

Gonzaga vs. San Francisco = I'm gonna give the Dons a decent chance of knocking off the 'Zags in The City By The Bay tonight. Not only does SF have a good team, they have had the Bulldogs number on their home court lately, winning the last 3 there. They well could make that 4 before the day is done.

Dayton vs. Xavier = Another of those mid-major match-ups, and one that could go a ways towards determining the possible post-season ambitions of both teams.

Texas Tech vs. Kansas = Come on. The Red Raiders have one conference win all year. Do you really think they will get their 2nd in Lawrence? Jeez.

Ohio State vs. Michigan = If you've been reading this thread, you know I've been busting the Wolverines all year for their lack of scoring. Then the Buckeyes went a scored a whole 48 points in their loss to the Spartans . . . AT HOME! Hmmm. Could be damned interesting, at least.

Notre Dame vs. Villanova = Much like that Mizzou/Tex.A&M game, I see no reason to expect the Philly 'Cats can stop the roll those Irish have made lately.

Long Beach State vs. Creighton = I do believe the Bluejays are a better team, but the 49ers ain't no pushovers. This is in Omaha, but it still could be a pretty tight game.

While typing the above, both U Conn and Louisville have made good comebacks, while Wichita State has put a 2nd-half stomping on the Davidson Wildcats. I'll be back a little later with some finals, and with some Sunday games.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #249
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Louisville has opened up an 8-point lead in OT with 49 ticks left, and looks like they will dodge a bullet here. Meanwhile:

Marquette 79 - U Conn 64 = The Huskies tried for a time to make a game out of this, but ran out of steam in the last 10 minutes.

Wichita State 91 - Davidson 74 = And the Queen City 'Cats were only down one at the half, but didn't manage to find their way out of their own lockerroom for the second stanza.

Also, New Mexico has started to open up a nice lead over UNLV with 8 minutes left. St. John's is up a few possessions over UCLA in The Garden, Memphis is in a dogfight with UTEP, and Florida State is flat-out skinning Jerry's Wolfpack with time running low.

Sunday's games include:

Michigan State vs. Purdue = The Boilermakers are capable of giving the Spartans a good game at home, but I can't really see them winning. They've not been consistent enough for that. Still, it would not be a HUGE upset if they could pull it off.

Syracuse vs. Rutgers = Now this would be one for the Scarlet Knights. It's been a long time since wins in Piscataway against Florida and an over-rated U Conn team, and of late RU's lost 7 of 9. Make that 8 of 10 tomorrow.

Vanderbilt vs. Georgia = If the Commodores can't beat this "meh" Bulldog team in Athens, their trip back to The Athens Of The South (that's Nashville, for you unenlightened) will be long and sad . . . as it should be.

Penn State vs. Wisconsin = As anyone would be foolish to bet on a Lion win or Badger loss, or find somebody foolish enough to take a bet, your best one would be the over-under: Will these two team collectively score 100 points?

Duke vs. Boston College = If you haven't seen the trend here so far, please note that there's not a lot of top-flight competition scheduled.

Indiana vs. Iowa = But this could be an exception. Yeah, the Hoosiers are likely superior to the Hawkeyes, but of their 6 losses they've had 5 on the road. And Iowa's not a bunch of total stiffs either. Keep an eye on this one for a half or so, as it could turn into a battle.

Oregon vs. Stanford = And this one better be a battle, since both teams need to win here. As mentioned previously, the NCAA may not go all that deep into the Pac-12 this year, and their 18-8 records (9-5 Ducks and 8-6 Trees conference) do NOT insure an at-large so far. Me, I think they are both Field of 68 quality, but I don't get a vote.

Only one more final while typing the above, though some are getting close . . . or are almost over anyway, such as that FSU/NCSU debacle, or the one developing in Charlottesville, with UVA outscoring the Terps nearly 4-1 in the second half. And that final? :

Louisville 90 - DePaul 82 (OT) = I'm unsure whether I should give the Blue Demons props for hanging so tough, or bash Pitino's boys for being such wussies . . . again. Yet a win is better than a loss, so I guess he'll take it, like it or not.

Lunchtime. I'll probably be back with some more finals for you, but if not, enjoy.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #250
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

State loses to the Seminoles. NIT here we come. Or maybe CIAA???
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #251
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Ouch, FSU popped the Wolfpack, and it looks grim for their Dance chance.

REALLY surprised by the SDSU loss. That was a tough one.

What is up with UL????? You can't tell what you're going to get in any given half with them.

UCONN ladies and guys BOTH lose at home on the same game day for the first time since '93. What a bust on a home streak, for the ladies. Nice win for the Johnie girls though.

Nice comeback win for the Irish. Nova had them beaten down pretty good, I thought. That's the kind of come-back, never give up attitude to be having, about this time of the season.

Tough win for the Cats .

Racers win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even though I'm no fan, having Dickie V in the house at Racer Arena was pretty nice. He went to both locker rooms to pep talk the teams, and talked to them a lot on the floor in pre-game warmups. Very good with the crowds also, and the cheerleaders got him to come out and dance with them on the floor. Also very nice things said about the school and town, very much appreciated. It was Senior Night at our last home game of the season, and it gave those 3 seniors something special to remember about their Racer career.

Great game for them also. Best defensive effort I've seen all season, and they did not let their lack of size be a focus for any intimidation inside. They play like this in the Dance, and it WILL be interesting. Definitely will help them get a look for an at-large, if they need it. The Gaels came in losing 2 of the last 3 games, after a long trip and without a key player. They made a good effort. Their #4 is one HECK of a guard and shooter. I noticed Dickie V talked with him for several minutes in pre-game.

Michigan holds of the Boilermakers, and 'Cuse wins against Rutgers, though they put up a good fight.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #252
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
State loses to the Seminoles. NIT here we come. Or maybe CIAA???
Jerry, you still have one more shot at that marquee win when my Heels bus down to Raleigh this week. I cant't give you much more than a shot at the upset, and I certainly can't root for you, but there's a chance. Besides, you can win a few more regular-season games, and if you can take a game or two in the ACC Tourney you'll get that 11-seed those bubble-teams desire.

Quote:
Ouch, FSU popped the Wolfpack, and it looks grim for their Dance chance.

REALLY surprised by the SDSU loss. That was a tough one.

What is up with UL????? You can't tell what you're going to get in any given half with them.

UCONN ladies and guys BOTH lose at home on the same game day for the first time since '93. What a bust on a home streak, for the ladies. Nice win for the Johnie girls though.

Nice comeback win for the Irish. Nova had them beaten down pretty good, I thought. That's the kind of come-back, never give up attitude to be having, about this time of the season.

Tough win for the Cats .

Racers win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even though I'm no fan, having Dickie V in the house at Racer Arena was pretty nice. He went to both locker rooms to pep talk the teams, and talked to them a lot on the floor in pre-game warmups. Very good with the crowds also, and the cheerleaders got him to come out and dance with them on the floor. Also very nice things said about the school and town, very much appreciated. It was Senior Night at our last home game of the season, and it gave those 3 seniors something special to remember about their Racer career.

Great game for them also. Best defensive effort I've seen all season, and they did not let their lack of size be a focus for any intimidation inside. They play like this in the Dance, and it WILL be interesting. Definitely will help them get a look for an at-large, if they need it. The Gaels came in losing 2 of the last 3 games, after a long trip and without a key player. They made a good effort. Their #4 is one HECK of a guard and shooter. I noticed Dickie V talked with him for several minutes in pre-game.

Michigan holds of the Boilermakers, and 'Cuse wins against Rutgers, though they put up a good fight.
See above, Joe, for my take on The 'Pack. And I too was shocked the Aztecs lost to the Falcons. As for Louisville, take some solace in the fact they are far from the only squads this year suffering from that disease.

Me personally, I don't care about U Conn streaks one way or the other. I'll note the one I DO care about shortly. And those Irish have stopped surprising me . . . I've learned to expect a good effort from them each time out, which cannot be said of 'Nova this year.

To me, the margin of your Racer win was one of the biggest shocks of the weekend. I figured the Gaels would play a better game. As for Vitale, I have never understood the dislike he's generated from people over the years. Yeah, he's over-the-top like a carney barker, but as a color guy it's his job to be an entertainer. Besides, he's the first to admit his flaws. He knows his hoops, so let him run his mouth.

Yeah, those two key Sunday games were pretty good contests. I expected one with MSU/Purdue, but dared not hope for one between the Orange and the Scarlet Knights.

Abbreviated update shortly.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #253
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I mentioned above the streak that interested me, so lemme do that first:

North Carolina 74 - Clemson 52 = In and of itself, the outcome was perhaps expected, and its significance is that it keeps the Tar Heels in the ACC race with Duke and FSU. But here's the story that's been buried in many outlets. UNC played its first baketball game in 1910, and in 1926 Clemson rode their mules up to Chapel Hill to play against Carolina in this relatively young sport. UNC won that contest (I didn't bother to look it up, but I figure a score of 22-14 seems likely ). Since that time the Tigers have visited for a rematch 55 more times, and their present record at UNC-CH is 0-56. (FYI, overall their record is MUCH better, at 126-20 ) This is an NCAA record for one school against another in the same site, though of course not in the same venue. NOW, you might object that "Of course Carolina beats Clemson", but you need remember that not only have the Tigers had some very good teams over the years, but also that UNC's had some pretty bad ones. Hey, Roy's 2009-10 team went 17-17 in regular-season play. Matt Doherty's 2001-02 team mercifully ended the year with a 8-20 tally. And even in Dean Smith's early days, he was hung in effigy by the student body following losses . . . TWICE! So this zero-for-forever streak is really quite amazing. Oh, and it was also Roy's 666th victory-of-the-beast, putting him 23rd overall and just 2 Ws behind the retired Gary Williams.

Now for a select few games from the weekend, as I cannot possibly do them all. In the balance of Saturday action:

New Mexico 65 - UNLV 45 = I thought this would be a war, but it was an old-fashioned whippin'. I'm not surprised the Lobos won, but it is a bit of a shock the Runnin' Rebels could only score 18 points in the 2nd half, which turned a close one into a laffer.

UTEP 60 - Memphis 58 = But there's no doubt this one's a shock. The Miners beat one of the best teams in the CUSA, one with decided NCAA aspirations, to improve to a .500 season. Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up.

Air Force 58 - San Diego State 56 = Like this time. Yeah, OK, it was at altitude, and the Aztecs are not a deep team and may be tired, but this? C'mon.

Kansas State 57 - Baylor 56 = So far this year no Baylor fans have popped up on this thread to cuss me out for calling the Bears teddies-in-waiting, ripe for a big fall. Considering what's become of them lately, I don't expect they'll show up now.

Washington 79 - Arizona 70 = A huge win for the Huskies to keep them in a tie for 1st with Cal at 12-3 Pac-12, and a huge loss for the 'Cats to drop them into tie for 4th at 10-5.

Nebraska 80 - Illinois 57 = Just when I thought it could not get any worse for the Illini, we get this debacle. OK, they are in turmoil, and their season's gone to hell in a handbasket over the last few weeks, but to get spanked by the putrid Cornhuskers? Oh wow. Hang it up, forfeit the balance of the year, and issue refunds.

Murray State 65 - St. Mary's 51 = A very good win for Joe's Racers in what I had hoped would be a tighter contest, even if just for the fun of it. This is absolutely the closest MSU has to a signature win this year, and if anything CAN get them into consideration for an at-large NCAA bid (if needed, of course), this will be it as much as their single-loss season.

Xavier 86 - Dayton 83 (OT) = Now THIS is the kind of game I'd hoped that Racers/Gaels one would be. It's college hoops at its best.

San Franciscon 66 - Gonzaga 65 = I checked to make sure, and yes, I did say I thought the Dons could win this game. And as I've also said before, I respect the 'Zags and Mark Few, but I love to see them lose, if only for the fact that, one of these days, it might just convince them the SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

Harvard 66 - Yale 51 = This win does not quite sew up the Ivy for the Crimson, but as it gives them a 2-game edge over Penn and 2 1/2 over Yale, it does put them in control of their own fate.

Notre Dame 74 - Villanova 70 (OT) = Actually, when you consider how these two have played this year, I'd not be too disappointed as a 'Nova fan with this effort. And on the other side, the Irish should be glad they faced a tough challenge and managed to escape with the W. Again, this is what I love about college basketball.

Michigan 56 - Ohio State 51 = Well, maybe my crystal ball cleared a tiny bit on this one too. Once more, the Logans fail to score as much as their football team regularly tallies. And once again, the Buckeyes manage to shoot even worse than a poor-shooting team from the state of Michigan. Plus remember, this is a team with pre-season Naismith candidate Sullinger down low. You want my opinion as to what's going on with OSU. Well, it's .

I only saw one score of real interest os Sunday, as the Spartan and Orange road wins were pretty much what you'd have expected. Perhaps we also should have expected:

Iowa 78 - Indiana 66 = Yeah, I double-checked again, and I did give the Hawkeyes a good shot at "upsetting" the Hoosiers. I noted Iowa's not a bad team, and the Hoosiers have had some problems outside Bloomington. So here's more proof that I'm not a total idiot.

Tonight has very limited action, and I could find only two games worth watching:

U Conn vs. Villanova = Well, maybe that's "only ONE game worth watching", since the Philly 'Cats have been pretty disappointing all year, while the Huskies are in as bad a freefall as is Illinois. So this one may actually suck.

Baylor vs. Texas = And come to think of it, so might this one. The Longhorns have made something of a late push for relevance, yet they took a step backwards Saturday with a bad loss to Oak State. And we all know how many steps backwards from their undeserved heights the Bears have taken lately. Still, this one in Austin might just be a tight competitive game, and would even now be a big victory for the 'Horns towards their hopes for an at-large.

That's gonna be all for me today. See you later, and until then . . . enjoy.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #254
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The two games I picked as being worth watching, maybe, last night actually were:

U Conn 73 - Villanova 70 (OT) = And it even took a 30-footer at the buzzer to keep this from going another extra 5 minutes, at the least. This win in Philly may not save the Huskies' season, but even against a poor Wildcat team it's better than another step in the wrong direction.

Baylor 77 - Texas 72 = The Bears had to rally in the 2nd half to take this one in Austin. I would give Scott Drew some credit for managing to coach his team past Rick Barnes' boys, but since I believe neither one of them can coach themselves out of a wet papar sack, I just can't do it.

Although there are not a ton of games this evening, there are quite a few with meaning. I'll begin with an unlikely candidate, namely:

Wofford vs. N. C. Greensboro = "Say what?", you protest? Well, the Terriers suffer from playing in the South division of the Southern Conference, which has been sewn up by the Davidson Wildcats for a while now, yet are still a dangerous team that could make a run for the league tourney title and the automatic bid . . . which is likely all they'll get. But to me the more interesting issue is the UNC-G Sapphos . . . uh, Spartans . . . who are a traditional basketball powerhouse of the Nth-cubed, who are 12-16 this year, and 10-6 in conference play, which is good for clinching the weaker North division, and a first-round bye in the tournament. Is it possible that a team that's had a long-standing history at sucking hugely can actually make the NCAAs this year? To a native North Carolinian like me, the thought is intriguing . . . and hilarious.

Illinois vs. Ohio State = The Illini are more than in free-fall, but have fallen into self-destruct mode. They have lost 8 of 9 now, and even with the Buckeyes having a few problems of their own you'd have to believe that will become 9 of 10 in Columbus tonight. Fact is, I could easily see the Illini going winless for the rest of the year, for following this one they face Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin. That's not an easy road for a good team playing well, so for this clusterfark it's a massive task.

Xavier vs. U Mass = The A-10 is one of the best mid-major leagues, and rightfully deserves multiple bids to the NCAAs. Yet the Committee can't go all that deep into it either. Temple and Saint Louis look fairly safe for now, but with the Musketeers in 3rd and the Minutemen in a 3-way for 5th, this one looms large for the hopes of both.

Kansas State vs. Missouri = The Prairie 'Cats have played very well at times this year, such as back when they spanked these Tigers by 16 in Manhattan, so you have to give them a chance to take this game. As their post-season plans may very well hinge on another good win or two (at 18-8 and 7-7, they are decidedly a bit bubbly), this one is big for them. On the other side, Mizzou could quite easily lose that #1-seed they think they've earned this week, for this one at home is followed by one against Kansas in Lawrence Saturday. If they lose two in a row, which is distinctly possible, it will open the door for an ACC or Big Ten team to sneak past them. This game is huge for both schools.

Auburn vs. Florida = The Gators ought to absolutely crush this particular troop of Tigers however. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time this year those Gators failed to make it to the game. I don't expect that to happen.

Illinois-Chicago vs. Butler = It may be a case of too-little-too-late for the national runner-ups the past two years. The Bulldogs are 17-12 overall, and at 10-3 in Horizon play they are 2 back of Valpo. Brad Stevens may need his guys to run the table at the tourney to even get a ticket to The Dance, so win or lose this one, they'd better hone their game tonight.

Georgetown vs. Seton Hall = I figure the Hoyas have done enough to earn a bid already, but the Pirates are still on that feared bubble, despite what they might think in South Orange. Hey, they are 18-9 now and 9th in Big East play at 7-8, so even if they close out the regular season with wins over Rutgers and DePaul they will be .500 in conference play. Also, their one "signature" win over then-#8 U. Conn back in early January now looks to be pretty meaningless, considering how the Huskies have fallen. But a victory over Georgetown in Newark tonight may just put them over that hump once and for all. I can't see it happening, but the young Hoya squad is not assured of a road win either. This should be interesting.

Michigan vs. Northwestern = And this one could be interesting as well. Yeah, the Wolverines are a better team than are the Smarty 'Cats, but as I've complained time and again, they CANNOT SCORE THE BALL!! Plus, N'western's not a total pack of stiffs, and are at home to boot. Keep an eye on this for a half or so, just to see if they can pull of the upset.

North Carolina vs. N. C. State = This is The Wolfpack's third, and final, chance to get that marquee win to secure an at-large out of the ACC. They spit the bit at Dook, then were spitted by the Semiholes at home, so it is possible their post-season hopes hinge upon how they handle the Tar Heels. For THEIR part, Carolina not only needs a win to remain in a position to win the ACC regular season, and gain the chance to steal a #1-seed if somebody (like mebbe Mizzou) stumbles a bit, they also need to play well on the road for their own self-confidence. Logically, you'd have to give my Heels the edge in this one, as much as Jerry'd love the upset . . . unless more former Wolfpack stars jump the scorer's table tonight and join the action on court.

Virginia vs. Virginia Tech = Another in-state ACC rivalry game here, albeit one without quite the history of the one just above. The Cavs are likely looking for some payback in Blacksburg after suffering the upset in Charlottesville by the Hokies earlier, and I myself would expect them to win. That's fine, as long as they get that winning out of their system before my Heels visit them Saturday.

Kentucky vs. Mississippi = For a while I kept expecting the young Wildcats would suffer from their inexperience and trip a time or four. They did come very close those few times, but so far have managed to escape almost unbloodied. Can the Rebels draw any tonight? Ehhhh, doubtful. UK continues to roll towards an undefeated SEC season.

New Mexico vs. Colorado State = There is no doubt in my mind that the Lobos are a better team than are the Rams. Yet there was also no doubt in my mind that the SDSU Aztecs were a better team than the Air Force Falcons, who got the upset in Colorado Springs. This game's in Fort Collins, and since the Rams are probably better than the Falcons, and since the altitude may play a larger factor than home court normally provides, it is entirely possible we'll see another mile-high stunner this evening.

That's gonna be it for now. Until next time then, enjoy.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #255
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
North Carolina vs. N. C. State = This is The Wolfpack's third, and final, chance to get that marquee win to secure an at-large out of the ACC. They spit the bit at Dook, then were spitted by the Semiholes at home, so it is possible their post-season hopes hinge upon how they handle the Tar Heels. For THEIR part, Carolina not only needs a win to remain in a position to win the ACC regular season, and gain the chance to steal a #1-seed if somebody (like mebbe Mizzou) stumbles a bit, they also need to play well on the road for their own self-confidence. Logically, you'd have to give my Heels the edge in this one, as much as Jerry'd love the upset . . . unless more former Wolfpack stars jump the scorer's table tonight and join the action on court.

Hahahah. Our two best players were ejected last Saturday .

They're being honored tonight.... Also, word on the street is that in a couple of years we are guaranteed to lose half as many to Carolina in the regular season. Sucks, really.

https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheRivalryACC
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #256
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Miss St. gave UK their best shot, but didn't matter in the end. Fun to be a UK fan this year.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #257
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Hahahah. Our two best players were ejected last Saturday .

They're being honored tonight.... Also, word on the street is that in a couple of years we are guaranteed to lose half as many to Carolina in the regular season. Sucks, really.

https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheRivalryACC
And Jerry, your third best one was ejected at the end of last season, wheh you fired Sidney Lowe.

As for The Rivalry, I'm a firm believer that expansion should NOT affect the home-and-home for all four ACC teams in North Carolina. Though I'm pretty sure nobody's dumb enough to suggest UNC/Duke occur only once a season, I feel it would be equally poor judgement were not Wake and State also "exempt" from rebalancing the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Miss St. gave UK their best shot, but didn't matter in the end. Fun to be a UK fan this year.

Yeah, I probably is fun to be a 'Cat this year . . . so far, anyway. They have done a superior job for Cal to date.

I've some work to do now, but maybe I'll get a chance to come back with my update.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #258
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Time is short, so this is gonna be quick and dirty. Last night, aside from most of the expected:

Seton Hall 73 - Georgetown 55 = The Pirates get that big win they needed to put themselves over that bubble, or so I suspect anyway.

Kansas State 78 - Missouri 68 = Hey, I told you the 'Cats from Manhattan could beat the Tigers on the road. And with KU in Lawrence coming up, Mizzou may just drop like a stone.

North Carolina 86 - N. C. State 74 = Since the Heels have won the last dozen of these, the outcome is no surprise. But Jerry's 'Pack had 3 shots at that signature win they needed to earn an at-large, and lost all 3 of them, in different ways. They had Duke, but could not hold on. They had no shot against a hot FSU team, despite the heat generated from guys whose names are hanging in the rafters (Jerry understands, even if you don't). And they did manage to keep in touch with Carolina, but a monster night by Kendall Marshall (22 points, 13 assists, NO TOs!!) shut that door. I'm not saying they are now on the wrong side of the bubble, but they'd best do something over the next few weeks, or be NIT-bound.

Michigan 67 - Northwestern 55 (OT) = And I believe I said these Smarty 'Cats had a good chance to make a game of this one too. Told you so!

Kentucky 73 - Mississippi State 64 = Another late run by the Wildcats saved this one . . . either that, or the Bulldogs just ran out of steam. In any case, it was closer than the final score.

Colorado State 71 - New Mexico 63 = The Curse of The Rockies strikes again, and the Lobos go down in much the same way Larry's Aztecs just did.

Tonight:

West Virginia vs. Notre Dame = The Irish have likely done enough already to get at-large consideration, but the Mountaineers have likely not. They need this one in the worst way, yet a win in South Bend won't be easy. Doable? Ehhh, maybe. I would not bet on it, however.

South Florida vs. Syracuse = Nor will a win by the Bulls in The Dome be easy, but I will give them a slightly better chance against the Orange than is the case above. Yet when I say slightly, I do mean slightly.

Temple vs. LaSalle = Now this one ought to be a total war, start to finish. The Owls are a little better team, but the Explorers are not stiffs. Besides, it's awfully hard to call these Big Five games, as everybody always psyched for them,

Rutgers vs. Marquette = I'm not sure how the Golden Eagles are doing it this year, yet I'm even less sure how the Scarlet Knights have managed the few good wins they've gotten so far. This would be their first in a while, if they can pull it off. I give them half-a-shot, but not much more.

Wichita State vs. Illinois State = The Shockers better be ready for this road test, as I expect it shall be precisely that . . . a test.

Michigan State vs. Minnesota = And I can see this one being a test for the Spartans also, though one they should be able to pass before the night is done.

Kansas vs. Texas A&M = And if the Aggies can manage to actually play up to their percieved potential tonight . . . well, they'd STILL be the underdogs to the Jayhawks. Their only chance is if KU's looking forward to that weekend game against Mizzou, and I don't think Bill Self (who reportedly got some face-to-face advise today from his mentor, Larry Brown) will allow that to occur.

Wyoming vs. San Diego State = If Larry's Aztecs do not want their whole season to crash amd burn in these last few weeks, they need to get off the stick and win this home game tonight . . . which is far from a gimme, believe me. SDSU has now lost 3 in a row, and has fallen into a tie for 2nd with UNLV in the Mountain West, a game-and-a-half back of New Mexico. They are not yet all that bubblicious, but they have been heading that direction for far too long now. With tough games against decent Colorado State and TCU teams still pending, this one's huge for them.

That's all I've time for. Enjoy.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #259
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Okay, I KNOW you said it could happen, but I did not expect Mizzou to suck THAT badly! It was like someone had a remote-controlled rim shrinker to use on Mizzou shots. Nothing would fall for them, especially in H1. That was ugly!

On the other hand, apparently someone used a rim enhancer for Miss St, 'cause they couldn't miss!!! I kept expecting them to start throwing some Meadowlark Lemon shots out there. While UK could hardly do anything right in most of the game, I give them credit for not giving up.

Irish win over WV, and SFU never really had a shot tonight against 'Cuse.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #260
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Okay, I KNOW you said it could happen, but I did not expect Mizzou to suck THAT badly! It was like someone had a remote-controlled rim shrinker to use on Mizzou shots. Nothing would fall for them, especially in H1. That was ugly!

Well, I don't believe I ever said the Tigers suck, brother, no matter how ugly they may have looked in that game. What I did try to impress was they were totally over-rated when one considered how they got many of their wins. Consider that, despite the fact they have wins over good teams such as Notre Dame, California, Illinois (ehh), ODU, Kansas, and Baylor (2X), their Strength of Schedule in the RPI is STILL rated #80 in the nation. How can that soft a schedule warrent a #3 national ranking?

Hey, you live by the cupcake, you eventually choke on some crumbs.

Update shortly, I hope.