icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '09 - '10 Thread

4 Hours......

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #2263
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
After that hit, they showed one of the Hawks taunting Carcillo, telling him 'That was the best hit you've had all year!'

lol

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #2264
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Nice video Tom

Tonight I think its all about penalties. I think the Flyers won't be able to control themselves, and spend a lot of time in the box. The hawks will need to convert PP's. If the Hawks can weather the storm in period 1, control the puck, and stay out of trouble, they will win. Easier said than done I believe

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, last night on Sportsnite they said that Vince Vaughn picked up Dustin's tab at a restaurant in Chicago

Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #2265
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Nice video Tom

Tonight I think its all about penalties. I think the Flyers won't be able to control themselves, and spend a lot of time in the box. The hawks will need to convert PP's. If the Hawks can weather the storm in period 1, control the puck, and stay out of trouble, they will win. Easier said than done I believe

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like your analysis was off.

Not only did the Flyers not take too many Penalites, they were the ones who capatalized on Hossa and Byfuglys slashing penalties while killing their penalties. Byfugly actually hurt them more then helped them tonight. Two penalties one resulting in a PPG.

In all honesty I was glad to see the Flyers win this game and make this a series. They got hosed in game one on a play that should have been blown dead because the puck touched the player on the bench which seconds later resulted in a goal. That game should have went to OT and been anyones game. I found it funny how no one wants to talk about that little gift when it resulted in the game winner.

Game 2 was a 1 goal game in which Philly outplayed the Hawks but Niemi saved the day. Game 3 was a 1 goal game flyers. Take out getting hosed in game 1 and you have an even series. Take out Niemi standing on his head in game 2 to save the day and the Hawks could be down 3-0 in this series orit could in fact be 2-1 flyers if they had not gotten hosed in game 1. I said before the series started Philly was going to give the Hawks everything they could handle.

Sorry but a good nuetral take is needed in this thread. The Hawks are lucky to be up 2-1. Yes lucky because they got lucky that the play was not blown dead as it should have been in game 1. Philly out played the Hawks in game 2 but Niemi saved the day. I really think this one could go the distance. The Hawks also showed fustration tonight taking retaliation penalties. That happens a lot when a team is getting pushed around.

All I can say is boys looks like we got us a series and I am very glad we do. Before the Habs series I said the Flyers would win and give the Hawks a run for their money.

The Hossa Curse may still live to kill another team
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #2266
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Sorry but a good nuetral take is needed in this thread. The Hawks are lucky to be up 2-1.
I've refrained from saying too much because I am, admittedly, not neutral. But I agree with much of what you said.

Can't wait until Friday ....sucks I'll be watching from the non-hockey hotbed of NC.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #2267
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I got REAL tired of hearing 'flyers should have been called on that'.

Seems the refs did everything in their power to give this game to the flyers, and it worked.

Officiating in these finals is horrible. virtually every hawk gets an elbow in the face on contact. Pronger should have been called on the cross check BEFORE buff slashed the stick.

It goes on and on.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #2268
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I got REAL tired of hearing 'flyers should have been called on that'.

Seems the refs did everything in their power to give this game to the flyers, and it worked.

Officiating in these finals is horrible. virtually every hawk gets an elbow in the face on contact. Pronger should have been called on the cross check BEFORE buff slashed the stick.

It goes on and on.
I got REAL tired of hearing that too...being it was coming from an ex-Blackhawk. All I can say to your entire post is and Waaaaaaah!

There were several non-calls against the Flyers last night. Of course, I realize I am looking through orange colored glasses, where Blackhawk fans are looking through red ones. I know it's hard, especially this time of year, but if it's possible to watch the series being neutral (and without the sound and Olczyk's commentary) I believe it's been pretty fair.

Did anyone honestly think Carcillo's hit should have been a penalty for charging? The puck was right there and he made a play. IMHO, if you did, the red glasses were too tinted. Even Olczyk said he didn't think it was charging (of course he still try to say there should have been a slashing penalty, but...whatever). That being said, I'm not complaining about the call. I'm just using it as an example of the other side of the coin. Non-calls both ways...bad calls both ways.

Personally, I love it! And I think the Flyers do too. Watching Byfugly (like that nic ) and many of his teammates whine to the refs is great for the Flyers. Hopefully it's taking them out of their game a little bit. The fact that the fans are whining too....that's just icing on the cake!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #2269
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
The Hawks are lucky to be up 2-1.
Absolutely, Philly has outplayed them in for much of the series. But only the final scores matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody
The Hossa Curse may still live to kill another team
Wanna bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Pronger should have been called on the cross check BEFORE buff slashed the stick.
Call me a wah-wah'er too, Joel, but absolutely. Pronger should have been called.

Hawks need to up the stakes in Game 4, so I can watch them in person skating the Cup after Game 5.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #2270
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Crud! I forgot the game was on last night and watched the Reds instead.

Someone PM me on Friday so that I remember
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #2271
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

I like hockey but don't know everything, last night I kept saying just shoot the puck to the Hawks. (and some other choice words) I also have to agree there were some bads call or lack there of. I am looking forward to Friday nights game.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #2272
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Call me a wah-wah'er too, Joel, but absolutely. Pronger should have been called.
No doubt they *could* have called a penalty. If they did, I don't think Pronger would have *****ed about it. I wouldn't have. But they *could* have also called a high stick on Toews later in the game. Briere didn't let it effect him. Or did that non-call not count?

*where I say could, some may say should. Not every infraction on the ice is called a penalty though.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #2273
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Did anyone honestly think Carcillo's hit should have been a penalty for charging? The puck was right there and he made a play. IMHO, if you did, the red glasses were too tinted. Even Olczyk said he didn't think it was charging (of course he still try to say there should have been a slashing penalty, but...whatever). That being said, I'm not complaining about the call. I'm just using it as an example of the other side of the coin. Non-calls both ways...bad calls both ways.
I only remember seeing one replay of the hit, but I want to say he left his feet, hence the charging call.

The refs have been quite laid back on penalties but we do have to remember it's A) the playoffs and B) the finals. Playoff hockey, especially SCF hockey, is called differently than the regular season. The little things, slashes, picks and interference are easier to get away with - Pronger has almost perfected this - in the playoffs when the refs swallow their whistles.

There have been missed calls for both sides, but it's more noticeable with the Flyers, who play more of a clutch and grab obstruction style ("old time hockey") than the Hawks.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #2274
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpugliese View Post
I only remember seeing one replay of the hit, but I want to say he left his feet, hence the charging call.

The refs have been quite laid back on penalties but we do have to remember it's A) the playoffs and B) the finals. Playoff hockey, especially SCF hockey, is called differently than the regular season. The little things, slashes, picks and interference are easier to get away with - Pronger has almost perfected this - in the playoffs when the refs swallow their whistles.

There have been missed calls for both sides, but it's more noticeable with the Flyers, who play more of a clutch and grab obstruction style ("old time hockey") than the Hawks.
I agree with just about everything you said. As for the last statement, it kind of goes back to the East vs. West styles of play, since, IMHO, there's generally a difference between the Conferences.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #2275
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:

Wanna bet?
Ass!
Hell no I dont want to bet you. I seem to nail my predictions as long as I dont bet. So be scared.

You payment is all boxed up just want address confirmation.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #2276
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpugliese View Post

The new rules are supposed to prevent this, but just like the Red Wings, the flyers are now getting away with it. Its not whining, its a fact. They get away with it.

Old time hockey is not glamorous or something to reminisce about, it was embarrassing. The broad street bullies are one of the reasons hockey to this day is not taken seriously. People who know nothing about the game see Slapshot and hear people talking about the 'good ol days' and think that is what hockey is like today.

The flyers *still* have that mindset and now the officials are letting them get away with it.

I am not a Hawks homer, I won't defend point by point every infraction, but there is clearly a double standard when it comes to what each team is allowed to get away with, and its just hurting the game of hockey.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #2277
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Ass!
Hell no I dont want to bet you. I seem to nail my predictions as long as I dont bet. So be scared.

You payment is all boxed up just want address confirmation.
Thanks Mike....Now bet me, I need all the Karma I can get!!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #2278
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Joel, I absolutely agree that calls get missed all the time, both ways. I just think Pronger gets away with more than most. Here was an article I found on web today. Sorry for the "homer bias", but I have been waiting 40+ years for this.

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- Dustin Byfuglien found out the hard way his matchup with Chris Pronger is lopsided in the Flyers' favor in one important area: Byfuglien gets no respect. Pronger gets too much.

If he didn't know that before, he knows now. Byfuglien tangled with Pronger in front of Flyers goaltender Michael Leighton midway through the second period of Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals, as he had done throughout the game and the series.

But this time Pronger showed who's boss. Pronger pushed. Byfuglien pushed back. Pronger lost his stick, raised his arms and cried for a call -- and got it.

''Blackhawk penalty, No. 33, Dustin Byfuglien, two minutes for slashing at 9:31.''

Twenty-four seconds later, Scott Hartnell scored to give the Flyers a 2-1 lead.

A lesson learned. In previous battles against the Canucks and Sharks, Byfuglien has done the push-and-shove thing.

That Pronger is better than anybody Byfuglien has faced previously isn't the issue. It's that Pronger is a former Hart and Norris trophy winner, a 15-year veteran headed for the Hall of Fame who has earned more respect from the officials than he probably has from the rest of the NHL.

And he takes full advantage of it to get away with more than he should, Hawks winger Patrick Kane said before Wednesday's game.

''The refs probably know it, too,'' Kane said. ''But he's been in the league a long time. He gets away with whacks here and there that he probably shouldn't. But I guess for playing in the league that long [veterans] deserve that. But at this time of year, it really shouldn't matter.''

But it does. Pronger ran roughshod over the Hawks in Game 3 with impunity, elbowing Jonathan Toews and nailing Kris Versteeg as the Flyers avoided a 3-0 series deficit with a 4-3 overtime victory.

Kane agreed that Wednesday night's game was a good example of Pronger getting away with more than he should. But he had no gripes about that or anything else the Flyers did physically in the game. Pronger isn't the most well-liked player in the league by a long shot. He's an engaging guy who can be prickly, surly and arrogant when the mood strikes him. But on the ice, he's only doing what anyone else would do -- and should do -- if given the opportunity.

''That's the way hockey's played,'' Kane said. ''There was probably one big hit where my helmet came off. Besides that I don't know if they had any big licks on me.

''They're obviously going to finish their checks. But we can't worry about that. If you're worried about that, you're not going to be playing hockey.''

Toews also had no issue with Pronger.

''I mean, that's his job,'' he said. ''So he's obviously going to keep getting better as the series goes along. To us, he's just another guy out there. We want to focus on him and make his job tougher. But we know what to expect from him.''

Byfuglien had other issues in this one. He lost his cool when he tussled with the Flyers' Kimmo Timonen after the horn and was called for roughing.

''Buff is pretty composed,'' Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said when asked if Pronger ''got under the skin'' of Byfuglien. ''Buff has been a factor and something they have to be concerned about. He'll continue to battle and persevere, and do what he has to do.''

If the easy-going Byfuglien has reached his breaking point, it's an issue for the Hawks, because Pronger and his teammates will be sure to smell blood in the water. Emboldened by their overtime victory, they'll step up their attempts to push the Hawks over the edge.

''It's part of it. Every team is trying to do that to us,'' Toews said. ''Maybe we took too many penalties, and that's maybe what cost us the game. We'll be smarter. We don't want to be that team -- we've said all along we're going to be smart.

''We've seen teams take stupid penalties against us. But we're not going to let them suck us into playing like that.''

They kind of did in Game 3. It's up to the Hawks and Byfuglien to respond like a championship team should.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #2279
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Thanks Mike....Now bet me, I need all the Karma I can get!!
0309 1140 0000 6381 3571
airborn hope you enjoy.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #2280
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
0309 1140 0000 6381 3571
airborn hope you enjoy.
It was fun, Mike...thanks for being a good sport.

Closed Thread