Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #201
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

SDSU is definetly getting worn out playing 7 players. Fisher needs to loosen up the bench and get these guys some minutes so they can get the starters some rest.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #202
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
SDSU is definetly getting worn out playing 7 players. Fisher needs to loosen up the bench and get these guys some minutes so they can get the starters some rest.

You'd know better than me, Larry, but I'd agree in principle that if he has any bench at all Steve needs to get them some court time. Not only is there the issue of fatigue, there's the potential of injuries, foul trouble, and just the advisibility of having a bit of experience off the pine to help scramble or give fouls late in close games.

Update will hopefully follow, if I get a chance. Time is tight tonight.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #203
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Update just ain't gonna happen today. Customers keep coming in handing me money, damn them. Luckily, although there were a number of good games last night there were very few unexpected results, and although there are several important games tonight, only the Murray State/SE Missouri State and the Gonzaga/BYU games look to be potential "upsets".

I'll try to catch up tomorrow. Thanks for your understanding . . . if it is forthcoming.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #204
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Again today my time is too tight to post an update. Luckily, again last night there were no shockers, and again tonight there are no huge games . . . with the possible exception of Harvard's hosting of Cornell and Penn's trip to Yale, which means a lot in the Ivy. Translation: It means little outside the Ivy.

I hope I can do some work here tomorrow, if I don't have to do too much work here tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #205
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First, before I try to catch up some, lemme get the early Saturday games up:

Georgetown vs. South Florida = At this point the Hoyas are gelding the Bulls pretty badly. As there's less than 10 minutes left, that's not likely to change.

Syracuse vs. St. John's = The Johnnies hung tough for a while in MSG, but the Orange has grabbed control. There's plenty of time left for anything to happen, yet it's not looking good for the locals.

Seton Hall vs. U. Conn = The Huskies are trying to break their losing streak with George Blaney on the bench, as Jim Calhoun has left the team for medical reasons. Has he coached his last game? Maybe. The Pirates are still in this one in Hartford, but again there's lots of time.

Vanderbilt vs. Florida = If any SEC teams are going to challenge UK, it could be one of these two. Both have had good wins, and bad losses. The Gators have been a bit more consistent, and the game's in Gainesville. Still, the Comms could surprise us and actually have another good game in them.

Virginia vs. Florida State = And if any ACC team is going to knock a hole in the 'Noles' ambitions, the Cavs have as good a shot as anyone. Remember, FSU has the easier remaining schedule of the top league teams, so their tests are fewer and less taxing. This one could be vital in the ACC race.

Wake Forest vs. N. C. State = The Wolfpack need to make hay towards their at-large hopes, and here's one of their best shots before things get hairy for these canines. If they lose this one in Raleigh, I don't wanna hear no whining from Jerry.

Xavier vs. Memphis = I think both of these are relatively safe in their quests for NCAA bids, but they need to finish well, even if not strong. A win here helps greatly, so I'd expect a battle.

Marquette vs. Notre Dame = The Golden Eagles are quietly having a great season. Good for them. The Irish are tough in South Bend, and can give anybody game on any given day. Don't bet on an upset, but don't bet on a blow-out either.

Baylor vs. Oklahoma State = The Bears spanked the Cowboys at home, and they might spank them in Stillwater also. Yet Oak State did upset the OTHER Big 12 Minus 2 pretenders to the throne, those Mizzou Tigers, so anything is possible. This one's worth keeping an eye on.

I'll try to look back at missed action a bit later, as well as give you updates and other upcoming action. 'Til then then.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #206
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Georgetown has crushed South Florida 75-45, Syracuse is doing much the same against St. John's, and U Conn is taking control over Seton Hall. Other early action is just that . . . early. So lemme backtrack a bit. I can't possibly cover all important games so far this month, but I'll give a lick and a promise to those that struck me most. On Wednesday 2/1:

Delaware 65 - George Mason 60 = Looking for an upset? You may not need look any further than this one, unless you want to look at . . .

Rhode Island 81 - U Mass 78 (OT) = The Rams sneak up on the Minutemen and butt them into a ditch, and thus improve to 5-18 overall in what should have been a gimme to UM in the A-10.

Miami 90 - Maryland 86 (2OT) = Neither team seems to be going much of anywhere, but you gots to gives 'em props for a good show.

Southern Miss 75 - Memphis 72 = But this was a meaningful game in the CUSA, which once again this year is jammin' at the top.

Baylor 63 - Texas A&M 60 = The Bears escape with another tight victory, and the Aggies continue to disappoint their expectations and their fans.

San Diego State 58 - Boise State 56 = I reckon Larry's right about the Aztecs getting worn out. Still, a win's a win, so take it, say thank you, and move on.

Thursday 2/2, Groundhog's Day:

Elon 99 - Charleston 98 (2OT) = We may see neither of these teams come March, but we certainly saw some of them that evening.

Murray State 81 - SE Missouri State 73 = As I understand it, the game was closer than the final. I'm not surprised Joe's Racers got a game here, but am curious to see if they are in danger of hitting the wall.

Arizona 78 - California 74 = A very good win for the Desert 'Cats in Berkeley, which moved both teams into 2/3rds of the 3-way tie for 2nd in the Pac-12. This race gets more interesting day-to-day.

BYU 83 - Gonzaga 73 = I'm sorta locked in a dilemma here. I've more respect for the 'Zags program, but I don't like the way they pop off their mouths alla time. The Cougars pop off some too, though less obnoxiously, but I just don't much like them. As I have no real reason I can put my finger on for this, I'll be glad they beat Gonzaga, though I KNOW it STILL won't shut them up.

On Friday 2/3:

Yale 60 - Penn 53 = The Eli hand the Quakers their first loss in the Ivy, and help the Haa'vaad Crimson at the same time. Talk about your damned if you do/don't situations!

I also cannot possibly cover all the remaining games today, so here's my cherry-picks:

Ohio State vs. Wisconsin = The Badgers welcome the Buckeyes to Madison, and as they are a mere 1/2-game back in the Big Ten+ they further hope to gift them with a loss. It could just happen. This one should be fun.

Arizona vs. Stanford = As should this one, while the 'Cats try to road-sweep the Bay Area competition this week. They and the Golden Bears are 6-4 i Pac-12 play, and this one's key for both if they wish to stay in the hunt.

Texas A&M vs. Kansas State = Two teams with polar expectations and results. The Aggies were supposed to be good, and haven't been. The 'Cats were supposed to be down, and haven't been all that bad. Give K-State the edge in Manhattan, since A&M has yet to give much indication they've found their game.

North Carolina vs. Maryland = The Tar Heels have lost the last 3 times they visited College Park. It could happen again today, but only if the Heels play down to the Terps' level and beat themselves. And if UNC shows up to play, this could get ugly, fast.

UNLV vs. Wyoming = But this one in Laramie could be a huge struggle for the Runnin' Rebels. I won't call for the "upset", but I expect a good one here.

Creighton vs. Northern Iowa = And again here, in Cedar Falls.

Kentucky vs. South Carolina = And here, I don't know why the 'Cocks are even going to show up, even for a home game. Hell, they haven't shown up all season, so what makes them think they can today?

Indiana vs. Purdue = So watch this one instead. The Hoosiers are hoping to stop the bleeding, and the Boilermakers are desperately trying to turn themselves around. This should be a blast.

Murray State vs. Tenn-Martin = And this should be forfeited. Do you really think the Skyhawks can give Joe's Racers their first L of the year, and thus improve on their 3-21 record? OK, yeah, it can happen. And look out for those monkeys flying out of butts too.

Marshall vs. Tulsa = So again, watch this one, as it is a key CUSA contest to keep both in the conference race.

Kansas vs. Missouri = This one in Columbia, along with that OSU/Wisc. one, are the marquee games today. KU leads the Big12nomore at 8-1, with the Tigers 'way behind at 7-2. Yet nationally Mizzou's ranked slightly above the Jayhawks. They may need ambulances before this one's done.

Oregon vs. Colorado = They likely won't need those emergency vehicles for these two laid-back squads, but the game itself holds huge Pac-12 import. The Ducks visit Boulder sporting the same 7-3 record as the Buffs. This one ought to be fun too.

I'll take a break now before I return with early finals and some Sunday games. UNtil later then, enjoy.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #207
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Some more early finals for you, including more Big East blowouts:

Syracuse 95 - St. John's 70 = This was over midway through the first.

U Conn 69 - Seton Hall 46 = Had the Pirates scored more than 17 in the first half, they may have made sort-of a game of this.

Florida 73 - Vanderbilt 65 = An important win for the Gators, though the way Vandy's played at times I'm not sure how "good" it is.

Florida State 58 - Virginia 55 = And an even more important W for the 'Holes, though the Cavs did make a great effort of it.

N. C. Statte 87 - Wake Forest 76 = The Deacs managed to give the 'Pack a scare midway through the 2nd, but NCSU pulled away for an important win for their hopes. It's a little surprising Wake scored as much as they did, consdering how paltry they've been in that department. Did the 'Pack D suck, or did the Deacs finally find the range?

Memphis 72 - Xavier 68 = The Tigers get a nice victory, and the Musketeers get some more bad karma from that now-infamous brawl.

Notre Dame 76 - Marquette 59 = On a persona level, I love this. No, I'm not an Irish fan, nor do I hate Marquette. But this week one of the basketball "experts" on Yahoo gave his predicted Field of 68 for the NCAAs based upon performance so far, and made Marquette a 2-seed and No. 7 overall, with UNC also a 2 at No. 8. Hey, I have no problem if he wants to put my Heels on the 2-line, and in the 8th spot, as I know they've shown some holes. I also grant the Golden Eagles have had a very good season up to this point. But that perception of his . . . well, I flat-out called him nuts, or high. Maybe this spanking will let him realize I'm not just some brain-dead homer.

There are not a lot of games tomorrow, but there are a few:

West Virginia vs. Providence = The Mountaineers have been better than the Friars, but both have had ups and downs. I would expect WVA to take it on the road, yet anything can happen.

Minnesota vs Nebraska = The Gophers also are on the road, but I don't think they'll be roadkill in Lincoln. They are better than the 'Huskers, who are not yet competitive in the Big Ten+.

Michigan vs. Michigan State = There's not a lot more that needs to be said here. I ALWAYS pull for the Spartans over the Wolverines, mainly because I've more respect for the program and the coach. However, either can win this rivalry game, in any given year. So watch this one.

Villanova vs. Pittsburgh = Or if you're interested to see if either of these Big East teams can make a late run, and get a legitimate shot at an at-large, watch this one. Considering how they've played, I'd say flip a coin here too.

Miami vs. Duke = And flip a coin in Durham also, but only to decide if you're gonna flip back and forth between this and the Stupidbowl pregame marathon. Otherwise, don't bother. Dook may not be a Final Four team, but the 'Canes are fighting to remain above .500 in the ACC, and should get blown right out of Cameron.

Northwestern vs. Illinois = The Illini got that big win over Michigan State, and have been as tough in Champaign as have those aforementioned Blue Devils in Durham, holding at present a 12-1 home mark. Yeah, you can get better than that, but not much. The Smarty 'Cats may give them a contest, yet it's become hard to bet against Illinois on their court.

I may be back today, or may not. Either way, continue to enjoy.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #208
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Two more early finals I'll get out of the way now:

Baylor 64 - Oklahoma State 60 = The Bears get another close win, with this one over the Cowboys being the eighth by a margin of 5 or fewer points. As that's about 40% of ALL their wins, you'd have to say they're pretty damn lucky.

Ohio State 58 - Wisconsin 52 = About the type of close fight you'd expect. A good win for the Buckeyes, and a tough loss for the Badgers.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #209
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Tough loss on the Cowboys. I thought they were going to pull it out.

The Gators got a nice win, and I still agree with you on Vandy; you never know what will walk on the floor to play ay given day.

MSU is ahead of UT-Martin, but it does not appear, from the ESPN scorebox, that they are putting the knife in yet. They oughta be up 15. Went to the SEMO game, and was shocked at the lack of effort on defense in H!. Almost like they were spotting points, to make it more exciting in H2. I love my Racers, but definitely not top 10, and capable of a couple of losses, if they start letting up on OVC teams, or anyone else. A killer instinct is required at this point in the season.

As for the Gamecocks, I believe those WERE actual birds dressed out to play UK tonight, given the score throughout the game. Davis makes the SEC rookie blocks record today, dethroning Shaq. I really enjoy watching that kid play.

The Irish looked awfully good in their game today.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #210
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Tough loss on the Cowboys. I thought they were going to pull it out.

The Gators got a nice win, and I still agree with you on Vandy; you never know what will walk on the floor to play ay given day.

MSU is ahead of UT-Martin, but it does not appear, from the ESPN scorebox, that they are putting the knife in yet. They oughta be up 15. Went to the SEMO game, and was shocked at the lack of effort on defense in H!. Almost like they were spotting points, to make it more exciting in H2. I love my Racers, but definitely not top 10, and capable of a couple of losses, if they start letting up on OVC teams, or anyone else. A killer instinct is required at this point in the season.

As for the Gamecocks, I believe those WERE actual birds dressed out to play UK tonight, given the score throughout the game. Davis makes the SEC rookie blocks record today, dethroning Shaq. I really enjoy watching that kid play.

The Irish looked awfully good in their game today.

You're right in all regards there, Joe, at least as I see it. As for your Racers, that was NOT the kind of win I expected over UT-M. Are they tired, or complacent, or have they become too cocky to believe they need to come out focused every night? You've seen them all year, so you tell us.

Will do my upmost for a full update shortly.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #211
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Again, I haven't time to hit all the good or important games over the balance of the weekend, so here's my cherry picks. Saturday:

Arizona 56 - Stanford 43 = The Desert 'Cats complete a road sweep in the Bay Area, and are making a late move to be relevant in the Pac-12 race . . . if the Pac-12 is relevant at all, that is.

Mississippi State 91 - Auburn 88 = OK, so the Tigers are a little better than they've been in the recent past, but for a supposed Top 25 team to have so much trouble on their own court is not a good sign for their long-term prospects.

North Carolina 83 - Maryland 74 = College Park has never been too kind to the Tar Heels. Be they good, bad, or indifferent, the Terps always get up for this contest, dating back at least to Lefty Driesell's days. This, and the fact that the Heels were down 9 in the 2nd, with Zeller and Marshall benched with 4 fouls each, yet won by 9 and thus made an 18-point turnaround for the victory makes this a good one in my eyes.

Wyoming 68 - UNLV 66 = Some of you may have thought me nuts to give Wyoming a shot at this "upset". Well, maybe I am, but not this time.

Northern Iowa 65 - Creighton 62 = Nor this one, come to think of it. Maybe those meds are starting to work for me.

Indiana 78 - Purdue 61 = The Hoosiers do stop their bleeding, and get a larger win on the road than I thought they might.

Murray State 65 - Tenn-Martin 58 = As Joe said, and as I concurred, this is NOT a good sign for his Racers. Yeah, they kept the string going and got the W, but they really should have chased the Skyhawks right out of their nest. They didn't, and I wonder why.

Alabama 69 - Mississippi 67 (2OT) = OK, we're not talking two hoops powers here, and neither may make any noise come March. And true, that's not a lot of points for double-OT. Still, it was a good show, so give 'em both some props.

Missouri 74 - Kansas 71 = And give, reluctantly or not, some props to the Tigers for defending their home court against THE traditional Big 12 Minus 2 power, and forging a 3-way tie with the Jayhawks and Baylor Bears above this disintegrating league.

On Sunday, I begin with:

Miami 78 - Duke 74 (OT) = It is odd when the Blue Devils lose in Cameron. It is odder still when they lose twice. One might forgive the one to Florida State, but to the 'Canes? In Durham? In OT? I'm sure Coach K won't forgive them, or at least won't forget how they've dropped out of a tie for the ACC lead . . . right before they travel to Chapel Hill, no less.

West Virginia 87 - Providence 84 (OT) = I said I expected the Mountaineers to take the Friars on the road, but that anything could happen when you considered how both teams have played (or not played) at times. Well, here you go.

Michigan State 64 - Michigan 54 = I watched much of this game, and still don't understand why it was so close. The Spartans seemed to be dominating in all aspects, yet the Logans held on with their adamantium claws until the end. The game was ugly at times, but fun nonetheless.

Pittsburgh 79 - Villanova 70 = Don't look now, and don't bet on it meaning much over the long haul, but the Panthers have won 4 in a row now. They have enough time, and enough potential victories left on their schedule, to actually re-enter the NCAA discussion again, but they cannot afford many more stumbles. Keep your eye on this team, just to see what happens.

Northwestern 74 - Illinois 70 = This one shocks me almost as much as the Miami/Dook one. OK, the Smarty 'Cats do not suck, and the Illini have holes. But they have been tough in Champaign, and I see little excuse for a lapse like this one.

There are not a lot of games tonight, but there are a few notable ones:

U Conn vs. Louisville = This one's in the KFC Yumi Crum Bucket, but I'm not sure if that means anything much. Both teams have had their ups-and-downs, and either could win . . . due to their own efforts or the lack of same from the opponent. Me, I wouldn't bet this one with YOUR money.

Wofford vs. Davidson = These are two of the better teams in the Southern Conference, and ought to give us a good show down Charlotte way tonight.

Missouri vs. Oklahoma = The Sooners did beat the K-State 'Cats twice, and this is in Norman. Still, you've got to favor the Tigers here by at least 3 or 4 possessions, for unlike Baylor, they have only maybe 3 or 4 squeaker victories so far.

Marquette vs. DePaul = The Golden Eagles got spanked by the Irish, and this might be bad news for the Blue Demons. Yet DePaul did beat Pitt (back before that meant anything much, but still), and it is in the Rosemont. If this is a game at the half, it might be one at the end also.

That's all for me for now, so until tomorrow . . . enjoy.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #212
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Last night's limited action yielded:

Louisville 80 - U Conn 59 = The way the Cardinals have played on occasion, and the way the Huskies have played once they finished their Homemade Cupcake run, I'm not surprised at the result, even if the margin seems a tad lopsided. Gee, I guess U Conn really is as bad as I thought.

Missouri 71 - Oklahoma 68 = And here's another clue as to why I've my doubts regarding the Mizzou Tigers. Even on the road, a one-possession win over the "meh" Sooners does not lend much credence to their lofty ranking. But on the bright side, they are making a late run at Baylor's string of squeakers.

Texas 70 - Texas A&M 68 = Another loss for the Aggies, and in College Station too. This team began with a pre-season ranking of # 20, and I even thought that was reasonable. But they lost their coach, Joe's boy from the Racers Billy Kennedy, to illness before they even started, and are now 12-11 and 3-8. Meanwhile, the 'Horns have started playing better, and still hope to make a late push for a bid in March. Had they the luck of Baylor, they'd already be in . . . UT has LOST 6 games by 5 points or fewer.

Marquette 89 - DePaul 76 = This keeps the Golden Eagles in the hunt for the Big East lead, and they have a fairly easy road through the balance of the regular season. If the Orange, the Hoyas, and the Irish stumble, they could actually steal it.

Tonight also has limited action, but a few important games. OK, ones like Maryland/Clemson, Providence/Villanova, and Alabama/Auburn may be competitive ones amongst BCS-level schools, but they may mean little, compared to:

Florida vs. Kentucky = It's in Rupp, and the Gators have been iffy from time to time. Still, they have to be given a shot at getting the upset here, and as they are about the only competition the 'Cats seem to have in the SEC they should be focused for this test.

Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State = Maybe you haven't noticed, but the Cyclones have huffed-and-puffed their way to a 17-6 and 7-3 record, which is good enough for 4th in the Big 12 Less 2 Conference. A few more wins and they'll earn an at large, and this one in Stillwater is a good chance for one.

Creighton vs. Evansville = Can the Bluejays bounce back from the loss to Northern Iowa that broke their loooong winning streak? Likely, as the Aces . . . well, aren't.

Purdue vs. Ohio State = And can the Boilermakers stun the Buckeyes in Columbus? Ehhh, yeah, I guess they maybe could. Yet as that would really be a stunner, I would not hold my breath.

That's it for now. See you later. Enjoy.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #213
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

With less than 5 minutes left, the Gators look MUCH worse than iffy, down 20 points. Good H1, but the Cats really kicked it up in H2.

Don't look now, but the Murray State Racers are ranked higher than the dook Blue Devils!!! Be on the alert; pigs MAY begin flying at any moment . Wow! 2 home losses. The Tobacco Road Duel is going to be interesting.

Nice win for the Cards, and Uconn looks horrible.

Marquette is kinda looking good, and here's Pitt trying to kick-start the season. I kinds like the Irish though. I think they will be dangerous, come Dance time.

I think the Racers are playing to the level of their competition, a dangerous game to play. St. Marys is going to be a harsh test, especially in the paint. The guard play will have to be superb to have a shot here.

I look at the top 25, and think, "they're in there???". Interesting season.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #214
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

The Mountain West is tough this year. And playing in Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming are tough road games....
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #215
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
With less than 5 minutes left, the Gators look MUCH worse than iffy, down 20 points. Good H1, but the Cats really kicked it up in H2.

Don't look now, but the Murray State Racers are ranked higher than the dook Blue Devils!!! Be on the alert; pigs MAY begin flying at any moment . Wow! 2 home losses. The Tobacco Road Duel is going to be interesting.

Nice win for the Cards, and Uconn looks horrible.

Marquette is kinda looking good, and here's Pitt trying to kick-start the season. I kinds like the Irish though. I think they will be dangerous, come Dance time.

I think the Racers are playing to the level of their competition, a dangerous game to play. St. Marys is going to be a harsh test, especially in the paint. The guard play will have to be superb to have a shot here.

I look at the top 25, and think, "they're in there???". Interesting season.

Again, no argument from me. As for that Racers/Gaels Bracket Buster that WILL be your boys first loss if they continue to play down to their competition. St. Mary's has been here before, and will not be complacent. I'm not sure I can say the same for Murray State in either regard. Should be fun, admittedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
The Mountain West is tough this year. And playing in Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming are tough road games....
Your Aztecs may have benefitted some last year by catching opponents by surprise also. They were not expected to be that good. Once you gain a reputation, you paint a target on your back.

Update shortly, I hope.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #216
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

In one way or another, each of these scores from last night are surprising, beginning with:

Kentucky 78 - Florida 58 = It's no shock at all the 'Cats won in Rupp, but for the Gators to be so ineffective does surprise me somewhat. I figured they could at least make a competitive game of it, and not a practice scrimmage.

Oklahoma State 69 - Iowa State 67 = The Cowboys derail the Cyclones in their push for respect, and I'm shocked they did not take advantage of this opportunity in Stillwater against lesser opposition. Still, it was not the biggest upset of the evening, which was instead . . .

Evansville 65 - Creighton 57 = What? The Aces top the Bluejays, and improve to .500 twice with their 12-12 and 7-7 marks? What? I can make no sense of this at all, and Creighton has as little excuse as Dook did against Miami Sunday. Pitiful, just pitiful.

Ohio State 87 - Purdue 84 = Yeah, OK, I guess I did say the Boilermakers could maybe sorta have a chance in Columbus against the Buckeyes. Still, for them to come this close to a HUGE upset . . . well, moral victories don't count in the standings, but it does count in my book.

Tonight's action has a few games of marginal interest, beginning with:

Penn State vs. Michigan State = Last year the Nittany Lions gained at least a little late respect by winning some games they were not supposed to. Those wins have been fewer this season, and I would not expect them to take this one in East Lansing from a superior (albeit flawed) Spartan squad.

Florida State vs. Boston College = And even though this one's in Chestnut Hill, I wouldn't give the Eagles a snowball's chance against the red-hot 'Noles.

Kansas vs. Baylor = Therefore, skip those two games and watch this match-up in Waco instead. The Jayhawks lost a heartbreaker to Mizzou to put them into a 3-way tie for the league lead with those Tigers and these Bears. This one is not only huge in the regional sense, but on the national level as well.

Pittsburgh vs. South Florida = And this one . . . not so much. But if you're like me, you want to see if the Panthers can continue their late push against the Bulls tonight. This ought to be a tight and competitive fight to the finish.

Georgetown vs. Syracuse = As should this one, which pits two of the best of The Beast against each other in the Dome. No doubt the line goes to the Orange at home, but I'd say you may as well flip a coin. The Hoyas seem to be the only team trying to challenge 'Cuse in the conference race, and should be ready to play. As they are young, and subject to excitement, that could be a bad thing. So keep an eye on this one, for if it's close at the half it will be close at the end.

Wake Forest vs. Virginia = And this should be over by the half. Still, remember the Cavs did lose to the Hokies at home, and VT's not all that much better than the Deacs.

Michigan vs. Nebraska = The Wolverines are better than the Cornhuskers, but as I've said often this season they do have trouble scoring the ball. You can win games in the 60s, true . . . if you hold the other guy in the 50s, however. I can't see that being a big problem, but you never know.

Notre Dame vs. West Virginia = The Mountaineers got hot for a while, then cooled off somewhat. They are still pretty good. By contrast, the Irish has made more noise recently, with wins over Syracuse, U Conn, and Marquette. Hey, if they can take those guys, they can take WVA, even in Morgantown. But you gotta do it first. Both teams want this badly, and it should be fun, though maybe not as much fun as our nightcap . . .

Duke vs. North Carolina = Do I really need to say any more than that? OK, if you insist. The Heels need a win to stay tied atop the ACC with FSU, since they cannot reasonably expect any help from BC tonight. The Blue Devils REALLY need a win tonight, for following their loss to the 'Canes they are in eminent danger of falling out of that race entirely with a third conference loss . . . which would not only tie them with 3 others in the L-column, but with games still remaining at FSU and hosting UNC would make wins there absolute necessities, barring outside help from someone. True, Carolina has the harder row to hoe from here out, for after this game they host UVA, visit Miami, host Clemson (ehh), then visit NCSU and UVA before hosting the Terps and ending at Dook. Hey, would you want that schedule? I make no prediction here. Let's just toss it up and let them settle it in the Dean Dome tonight.

That's gonna be it for now. I hope you enjoy this evening's fare. Me, I won't know about that until about 11 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #217
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Man, a tough one to lose for the Hoyas. Overtime and played Cuse tight. Really wanted that one.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #218
BryanB
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (58)
VR
BryanB has a spectacular aura aboutBryanB has a spectacular aura about

We finally have our superstar. Austin Rivers for president.

I know Carolina is a better team but dammit that was awesome.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #219
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Man, a tough one to lose for the Hoyas. Overtime and played Cuse tight. Really wanted that one.
Hey, I don't wanna hear it, considering . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
We finally have our superstar. Austin Rivers for president.

I know Carolina is a better team but dammit that was awesome.

Indeed, just one more verse in the epic poem of Duke/Carolina.

More to follow.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #220
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Hey, I don't wanna hear it, considering . . .

Indeed, just one more verse in the epic poem of Duke/Carolina.

More to follow.
Duke/Carolina!!...what a game...woke my wife up, 2 floors up, when Rivers hit that trey!!