Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: My buddy Champ is in trouble again....

Saying a prayer for Champ, Carlos.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #22
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Thanks.
Champ is 13 1/2. He will be 14 in April, if he gets there.
Here is a link I thought I would share for all interested.
It lists the breeds more prone to Mast Cell Tumors and talks about the illness and prognosis. Funny that Maltese is not anywhere to be found there.
Champ had a Grade 2 Mast Cell. Not the worse but bordering on it as certainly not the best of the levels either.
Seems anywhere post 8 years of age to 10 is the time they develop.
Nasty thing that once out of control, causes vomiting, diarrhea and gastro issues such as ulcers.
Champ is on prednasone, benadryl and tagamet, all of which are referred to in the article.
Hope this helps others of us that may run into this "best friend's demon".

http://www.caninecancer.com/Mast.html

Wife and I talked.
We are going for the surgery.
I have a strong hope this time around, they will get a clean edge sample. If they do, good likelihood it won't return.
Just not sure I can prepare for the heartbreak to hear twice they didn't get it all.
Won't know until the lab results come back.
Thoughts & Prayers For A Good Result, Carlos.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:27 AM   #23
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

All things positive heading Champs way Carlos...
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #24
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Prayers sent for Champ and the family, Carlos. Stay strong, brother.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #25
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Our prayers are with you and Clara. I'll give you a call later.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #26
txdyna65

Keep your chin up Carlos, we'll say a prayer for Champ and you and Clara
Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #27
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Well, a great day yesterday with wife passing the citizenship test is now followed by a not so good one today.
Took Champ this morning for his surgery.
Doctor took a closer look and I am very grateful for his honesty/sincerity.
I guess in part because he seems to be just a nice guy, period. I guess also in part due to having been my daughter's boss.
Bottom line, should not operate him.
The tumor appears to be into the tissue/muscle. Cannot totally clean him out and in two months, we would be here as today all over again.
Trying now to reach out to holistic vet to do anything and all to make whatever short time he appears to have left, comfortable, painless and worthwhile.
Tough day to work and to focus on anything.
Have not told the wife yet and probably will wait until she gets home.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #28
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

I feel for you Carlos, really do buddy.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #29
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Sorry, Carlos. Spend Some Quality Time With Your Buddy For Me. Thoughts & Prayers Still Going Out For You & Champ.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #30
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I tried to digest it from the perspective of someone not having a dog and see why I feel as lousy as I do today.

I consider Champ was my true first dog.
I had one when I was 18 or so but had to get rid of it in less than a month due to calls to the police due to his barking. I was going to be hit with some hard fines if I didn't.

Since then, until the age of 37 or so, when we moved to Florida, never had that dog I longed for. NJ and our lifestyle was not conducive to having one as we were never home.

When we moved to Florida and were living at a hotel, as we awaited the closing for our house, just days before the closing, we visited a pet shop a mile or so from or new to be home. We instantly fell in love with this little guy. He was so, so shy. So fluffy white. He looked like snow with three black dots for his eyes and nose.

Champ stayed at the Embassy Suites in Boca Raton with us for a few days prior to the closing and then as we awaited the painting of the home and our furniture to arrive. When we moved to our new home, it was our entire family doing so, along with Champ. He walked in as a new family member to help us begin our new lives, in a new state, new schools, new friends, new co-workers and so on.

Champ has had a great life with us. He has stayed at some of the finest places imaginable. Champ was a guest at the 4-5 star resort Sheraton in Bal Harbour, which unfortunately is no longer there.
Champ stayed in Key West and was treated as royalty in restaurants there.
Champ stayed in the Hilton in Key Largo.
Champ flew in the cabin, on our laps, to NJ and back to Florida. They normally don't allow them out of the bag but he was so cute and well behaved that the flight attendant suggested it to us.

Champ has been known as our "grumpy old man" for much of the last few years. I guess as with us, grumpiness comes with age for them also. That grumpiness has made him even more endearing. He is Simba's (Yorkie) best friend and the two cannot be apart. They go in the same crate together when left at home or when at the vet or groomer as otherwise Simba will let you have an earful.

Champ thinks he owns my bed and I truly believe he thinks he just happens to share it with the wife and I.

I truly recognize Champ has given my entire family 13+ great years. He has allowed me to enjoy being around him. He has been a great companion. He has instinctively known when we hurt and he has been there to comfort us. As much as I hurt right now knowing his days are truly numbered, I am grateful for having had him around as I would have otherwise not have had such great fond memories. To some, they are just dogs - they are not human. While true and while I do recognize that, it just sucks that I do happen to be human and I love him very dearly.

How long will Champ be around beyond today is a guess. His tumor is cancerous. It has shown to be extremely aggressive as evidenced by such a rapid return. Regardless, I now must mentally prepare to be ready to bid my great friend farewell. I know I have done all I can do within reason. I know at some point in the near future, I will have to make a dreadful trip that will be one way for him and will have a brutal return for me. I hope when that day comes, I am a heck of a lot stronger than I am right now. I will have these words and thoughts here at our home away from home to remind me of how much he has meant to me.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #31
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

My heart goes out to you and the family Carlos. Be strong for them and Champ. A lot of people here in the Asylum have been there before or have it in their future. We're all here for you man.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

We're Here For You, Carlos. Let Us Know What We Can Do, Brother.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You're in my thoughts, Carlos.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #34
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

It is always hard to face this situation, Carlos. Just know that you have provided all the care anyone could hope to offer a pet. You have given everything anyone could hope to offer - he was part of your family, and you loved him. No one could do more.

I always try to remember that it hurts so much, because we love so much. You would never trade away all of the joy and companionship to avoid that hurt now.

Blessings on you and your family as you continue to do what you have always done - provided Champ the best life possible. Take care.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #35
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Can't say it any better than Joe did. I too have lost a pet a couple of years ago, and I know what you are feeling brother. Prayers are all I have to offer for you, but that's what's gonna get yall through.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #36
Jbailey
Brewcifer

Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

You, your family and Champ are in my thoughts Carlos.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #37
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Thoughts & Prayers Still Going Out For You & Champ.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #38
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Read every word in this thread.
Great story about Champs origin and experiences with you. Prayers to him and you and your wife.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #39
Sailkat
Smooth sailing

First Name: Kat
Trading: (5)
Sailkat has a spectacular aura aboutSailkat has a spectacular aura about

Thoughts and prayers for Champ and his loving family.