Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough
Default Advice on iPhone versus Blackberry

So I've decided to finally move beyond the plain phone/text (I have a first generation enV phone).. Now I've been looking at the iphone, but the biggest drawback seems to be ATT.. I have verizon now and the service is fine anywhere I've been and in some places my friend's iphone can't get a signal but my old ass verizon one can. Whoever I go with is basically going to be my commitment for the next 2 years. I'm on no contract now (even though Verizon keeps hounding me).

The con for verizon seems to be price. And the nickel and diming. I really don't understand what gets charged and what doesn't..

Here's basically what I want out of a phone..

-Internet/e-mail access (outlook, gmail, whatever.. as long as I can access e-mail)..
-text messages
-not getting nickel and dimed on plans
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
ahc4353

Default Re: Advice on iPhone versus Blackberry

I have a BB Curve with a Verizon data plan (company paid) and love it. I think the iPhone's are cool for sure but if you don't have a signal all you have is a fancy paperweight.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

The new blackberry tour for verizon is very nice. If you can hold out longer there is a storm 2 in the future as well as a couple cool android phones that may or may not make its way to verizon. I two would like to have a iPhone but switching to ATT is the only thing keeping me away. Although the word is sometime in 2010 Verizon may be next up for the iPhone. At least we can hope
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I use Blackberrrys, they are durable and I don't have to use ATT who I already tried and hated but there are plenty of people with the opposite view on that subject so flip a coin as to provider. New Blackberry "Tour" has 3g which is nice for internet. If you want good internet you need 3g, otherwise pretty slow. The touchscreen version Blackberry (can't remember name of it) is less than perfect for sure, if you like touchscreen then iphone is the overwhelming best choice. I am a pretty heavy user but not a tech geek type so this is just my 2 cents worth of user experience.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

BlackBerry!

I currently have a Curve, but my new Tour is sitting in the box until the case for it comes in.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
BlackBerry!

I currently have a Curve, but my new Tour is sitting in the box until the case for it comes in.
What does the Tour have that the Curve does not?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
BlackBerry!

My current Blackberry is the International and only 6 months old, previous was a curve. Both work equally well (no camera in International) but Intl has a little larger screen and keyboard which is nice for us seasoned citizens. But no doubt if I was buying today it would be a Tour.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
I have a BB Curve with a Verizon data plan (company paid) and love it. I think the iPhone's are cool for sure but if you don't have a signal all you have is a fancy paperweight.
Well I almost got a blackberry issued to me, then some a-hats abused it so they're limiting who gets them now..
Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I'm in your area and ATT really isn't that bad. I've never had verizon here, so I cannot say how much better it is than ATT, but the public opinion seems to think verizon is better in DC.

That being said, the iPhone is the most user friendly phone on the market. Remember when Nokias used to be the most easy to use cell phone 10 years ago... Apple has taken that simplicity and added it to a smart phone/everything phone.

That being said, blackberrys are nice, so you really cannot go wrong with either one. I've owned both and I can honestly say I love the iphone while I only "liked" the blackberry.

I'm rarely without a signal with ATT with the exception of elevators and the metro.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
I'm in your area and ATT really isn't that bad. I've never had verizon here, so I cannot say how much better it is than ATT, but the public opinion seems to think verizon is better in DC.

That being said, the iPhone is the most user friendly phone on the market. Remember when Nokias used to be the most easy to use cell phone 10 years ago... Apple has taken that simplicity and added it to a smart phone/everything phone.

That being said, blackberrys are nice, so you really cannot go wrong with either one. I've owned both and I can honestly say I love the iphone while I only "liked" the blackberry.

I'm rarely without a signal with ATT with the exception of elevators and the metro.
AWesome, thanks for the advice.. Having someone from teh area chime in helps.. I'll probably go in today or tomorrow to discuss/look at plans and compare.. I just priced out blackberry and for 450 minutes a month, 5GB data (smallest plan then had for data), and unlimited text and email, I'm looking at like $115 a month.. What would be the iphone equivalent?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
What does the Tour have that the Curve does not?
3g which is a Big Deal!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
Resipsa

I had a BB curve for 2 years with VeriZon, and recently made the switch to an Iphone. Around here I see almost no difference in coverage area between the two networks

I liked my BB, but I LOVE my iPhone

Plus. I don't like the way Verizon Locks down their phones.

But in truth, if all u wan is email and text messaging you don't need either. Kinda like buying an F1 to drive thru a school zone

BTW, this was posted from my iPhone
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Well internet and stuff is a perk.. I just don't wanna have to pay out the ying yang.. the GPS on the iphone is intriguing too
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenvt View Post
Well internet and stuff is a perk.. I just don't wanna have to pay out the ying yang.. the GPS on the iphone is intriguing too
If you travel via Airline and spend time in airports the internet is a dream to have, otherwise I don't use it much. Does not matter which service as to price, they work out pretty close in the end unless you find some special offer maybe. I actually liked ATT coverage a little better but they were impossible to deal with when you had a problem, after 3 years I have usually found Verizon pretty accessible and helpful.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The GPS is super nice. I have a samsung epix (i907) on ATT and i have to pay for the ATT navigator feature in order to get anything close to what an iphone can do as far as navigation goes. And if i loose cell signal, it doesnt work period due to not having built in GPS like an iphone.

If verizon will offer iphone service, im getting one and swapping.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
Resipsa

Quote:
If u want GPS, take a serious look at the iPhone. Verizon makes you use their Navigator and charges u 10 bucks a month forever
and requires a connection to work

just added co-pilot live to my iPhone, $35.00.....period
looks and works just like a stand alone gps unit, all of the maps are loaded on the device so no cell connection is needed, and no monthly fees!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

2 Storms in this household. People typically hate them. We love them. They have a few issues, but when you break it down to being a computer in your pocket, you gotta give it a little slack.

Btw GPS on the storm works great. It's saved my ass more than once on my way to work being re-routed because of an accident.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Yeah.. I was just looking at pricing plans out.. seems the iphone plans may suit me better due to the unlimited data usage.. I basically spend $30 more a month and get the unlimited data
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #19
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Verizon has unlimited data....

Least it better, I typically have about half a gig of bandwidth usage a month
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
AWesome, thanks for the advice.. Having someone from teh area chime in helps.. I'll probably go in today or tomorrow to discuss/look at plans and compare.. I just priced out blackberry and for 450 minutes a month, 5GB data (smallest plan then had for data), and unlimited text and email, I'm looking at like $115 a month.. What would be the iphone equivalent?
Not sure as mine is on a family plan, but I'm pretty sure you can get equivalent or more minutes, unlimited data, but limited text for at least $20 cheaper per month, probably more though. Unlimited text is available but I've not looked into it.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote