Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road
Default Humidor Question

When I was in college in 1988 or so, I bought a humidor and cigar sampler from Thompson, I believe. Throughout the years, my dad would give me cigars: La Gloria Cubana, Por Larranaga, some off-brands, etc. They sat in that table-top humidor for years. No humidification, no hygrometer, moved a dozen times, totally neglected it, thrown in a closet or garage, wherever.
About a year ago, I got into cigars. I now have 5 big humidors and 3 wine refrigerators that I use for cigars, with Heartfelt beads, digital hygrometers, etc. Yet that old cheap humidor has a smell that melts my knees. It smells so great...sweet, complex, intense. I've got my very best cigars in it (Padron anniversaries, Opus x, tatuaje miami, Oliva V etc) When I pull a cigar out of it, they smell amazing....just like the humidor itself. When I smoke an Oliva V from it, it has taken on the aroma from the humidor and I can taste and smell it with every puff...amazing. An Oliva V from it's own box doesn't smell or taste like that.
My other humidors just smell like cedar or the cigar itself. Is the other humidor so awesome because of age ? Because I had cigars in there for years without even opening it ? How can I get that "seasoning" in my other humidors....time?
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Humidor Question

I dunno how to help, but I think it is an interesting topic! Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Sounds feasible, but I'm no expert on the matter.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Tidefan73
Rollin' with the Tide!!!

First Name: Theron
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Tidefan73 is on a distinguished road

Did you have any flavored smokes in the desktop humi? If so, that's probably what has 'seasoned' it. I have an old 50ct and stored my fiances falvored CAOs in it...it totally smells like those honey flavored smokes. I don't store anything in it now, but can still smell the sweetness and aroma of what was in there at one time.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
meadmaker

It is possible that all cigars and the cedar just married together. The cedar could have absorbed that "scent" and now is just releasing it out of the wood. I haven't heard of someone not opening the humidor for years so I have never header of it before.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

That's what I'm thinking, Meadmaker...the cigars were in there for so long that the cedar just absorbed all those flavors. Dang I wish I could get my other humidors to smell like that one !
Old 08-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
That's what I'm thinking, Meadmaker...the cigars were in there for so long that the cedar just absorbed all those flavors. Dang I wish I could get my other humidors to smell like that one !

Hmm, sounds like you already know how to get it done..... Just gonna be a long time before they are ready for use
Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Wood can hold odors for many, many years. Temperature and humidity changes can release the smell of something that may have been stored in there decades before.

So time is the answer to your question. That and the type of wood that was in your humi. If your humi is more MDF with a liner you'll not get the same odor retention.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

What's MDF Bax ?