Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy B&M Smoking....don't like it.

Talked to a friend today whom I have recently forcibly pushed down the slope and we were talking about cigars from the humidor verses cigars directly from the B&M.

I have smoked in many a B&M, different states and parts of the country. And I just do not enjoy cigars directly from the B&M. They just don't taste as good as they do after a week or two in my humidor. I frown because my local B&M's don't like for you to smoke 'your cigars' in their shops...even if you buy some from them. And it is really just too damn hot right now to smoke outdoor anytime before 10pm, so for me that leaves out anything longer than a 1 hour smoke. (sure would like to have a smoking room in my house)

So what are your thoughts, feelings, likes, dislikes about Sticks straight from the B&M.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: B&M Smoking....don't like it.

Every time I head to my B&M I make sure to pack a few sticks if I plan on smoking. Their humidor is usually kept low to mid 70% depending on how many people go in and out of the humidor that day. I usually keep my sticks at 65% and their humidity is just way too high for me to enjoy. I am a member of their cigar club so that might have something to do with it but they haven't said anything to me about smoking my own cigars. I do buy a few sticks every time I go in so that might also have something to do with it too. I just prefer my own RH for my sticks
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Most places do keep their humidors on the wet side. Usually to compensate for the door opening all day long. I agree that smoking them straight away usually is a dissapointment. I convinced the owner of my b&m to keep the humidor closer to 63-65% and alot of customers have noticed that their cigars taste better now when they smoke them right away.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
DougBushBC

I'm surprised that they have a problem with you smoking your own. I always bring my own, and just make sure that I buy an equal amount (I smoke 2 sticks I buy at least 2)
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

I usually do OK with sticks straight from the humi at my favorite stores. I will usually travel with my own sticks, and if I do take them to a B&M, I make sure I make an equivilant purchase or have purchased the sticks from them initially.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Lordy how I emphasize brother. 105+ here for the last month. And no B&M's within a 2 hour drive to smoke at for me.

I have traveled extensively in the last 4 years and been in B&M's all over the place without any problems. I can't say that I have ever asked 'Mind if I smoke my own?' But I also always will buy at least one or two when I come in until I get to know the owner. Maybe you should pick a B&M you like and become a regular.

Or you could drive down to Tucson and go to Anthony's as I know they won't mind. Just don't ask them to put on the Sun Devil's game.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

They're a bit wet for my liking, so i try to pick something that smokes good wet.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
shadow king
Fresh outta Ad Seg

First Name: Matt
Trading: (19)
Quintero
shadow king is on a distinguished road

I always have one already lit up when I arrive at the local B&M. He never says anything because I always end up buying $50-100 worth of smokes each time. As far as how they taste from there, its been mixed so far. Some are good, some are blah. I can usually tell when a cigar has been sitting around in the shop for a long time.

I don't really care for the prices of the B&M but it's a safe haven for a smoke, which is hard to find anymore. I too can't smoke in the house and makes it difficult to find a place that is still enjoyable.
shadow king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

I heard gurkha legends smoke well directly from the B&M.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I agree with you kgoings.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Waynegro1

I always bring my 4 stick leather case with one or two sticks from my humi. When I get to my B&M I go into the humi buy a stick or two and sit down and smoke one that I brought (not bought). When I get home the sticks I bought go straight into my humi to rest (dry up, a bit).
I've been going to my B&M for so many years now, I could probably bring a caddy full of my own and smoke them right there, without a word. I just feel guilty smoking something from home and using there space without a purchase while I'm there. Even if I only buy one cigar, it puts my (self inflicted) "smoking home stogies at the B&M" personal guilt at ease.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

This is going to be a LEGENDary thread.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
This is going to be a LEGENDary thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40

Sorry, I had to do it.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
this is going to be a legendary thread.
again?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
again?
Maybe not, haven't heard anything LEGENDary in over a month.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I give this thread a 4.12987 on the Legend scale, .4432 points above a Gurkha (B&M not internet purchased).
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I rarely smoke at a B&M, principally because I feel they do poorly at evacuating the smoke from their store. I drive past one nearly every day, and it has many nice attributes, but ventillation is not among them. I've been in some shops that make me feel nausous from the poor ventillation. I don't care how expensive they are, if your B&M doesn't have a good ventillation system, you're not getting my walk-in business.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

I work at a B&M and I see people buy and smoke on the spot and rarely are there problems.

I also see people walk in with their own sticks and buy a coke and stay to smoke. My feeling is since sooooooooooo few people do that, I suport the freedom to enjoy a cigar and I work at a place that allows that.

So, all in all, I'm for smoking cigars whenever and whereever one can!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Have never smoked a stick at a B&M, as I too and of the mind set to bring em home and let em rest for a little bit.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 AM   #20
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's hit or miss depending on the place. Some are over humidified while others are just fine.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote