Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default R.I.P. Hav-A-Tampa, Cigar City loses another one.

Quote:
TAMPA — They made their first cigar in Tampa in 1902.

In July, they will make their last.

A piece of Tampa history was extinguished Tuesday when the parent company of Hav-A-Tampa cigars announced it will close its local production plant, near E Broadway Avenue, leaving almost 500 employees jobless.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...cle1012864.ece
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: R.I.P. Hav-A-Tampa, Cigar City loses another o

and the impact to the cigar economy begins?
<deleted>

<deleted>
Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

The dominos start falling.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I was going to just post this. Not a brand I smoked, but I hate to see anyone in our hobby go out of business.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

I saw this on Drudge earlier. The first cigar I smoked was a Hav-A-Tampa, so I hate to see this.

Did you notice the jobs are being moved out of the country? Altadis will still supply the product, but the reduced foreign wage margin will cover the SCHIP increase. The headline should read "Obama Administration Sends Jobs Overseas", because that's exactly what happened.

How's that hope and change working out for you?
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
I saw this on Drudge earlier. The first cigar I smoked was a Hav-A-Tampa, so I hate to see this.

Did you notice the jobs are being moved out of the country? Altadis will still supply the product, but the reduced foreign wage margin will cover the SCHIP increase. The headline should read "Obama Administration Sends Jobs Overseas", because that's exactly what happened.

Yep, the brand will now be produced in Puerto Rico.

Hav-A-Rican??
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

While I don't believe it was just the tax increase that caused the factory to close, it was the voters who have allowed the tax increase to happen.

Last edited by macpappy; 06-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
While I don't believe it was just the tax increase that caused the factory to close, it was the voters who have allowed the tax increase to happen.
Yep, they wanted "hope and change"....

now they're hopin they'll still have a job in the near future...
and all they have in their pockets is change!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
While I don't mean to be confrontational bro, the Altadis rep quoted in the article said the tax WAS a factor. If you choose not to believe that, then it's up to you I guess. What would it take to convince you?
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Yep Obama's speech should have been "You need to HOPE you'll have any CHANGE left. Tax you blind? YES WE CAN!"
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Benwoo

I started on these and Backwoods. Not bad if ya need a quick kick around smoke. Unfortunately I think Backwoods will disappear as well due to the new FDA deal
Old 06-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
While I don't mean to be confrontational bro, the Altadis rep quoted in the article said the tax WAS a factor. If you choose not to believe that, then it's up to you I guess. What would it take to convince you?
Semantics I guess. What I meant to say was I didn't believe that the tax was the ONLY factor. I'm sure it was a factor, I just believe that there may have been other factors in the decision also - like an mandatory increase in the minimum wage, etc.

I didn't find you confrontational. You just pointed out the lack of clarity in my statement.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

My dad used to smoke these when he bowled. I used to remember the smell and would even try to take a pull when he'd rest it in the ashtray. I was probably 10 at the time.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I haven't Had-A-Tampa in forty years, and won't miss it if another forty passes. And I understand the economics involved, though I won't comment of the politics - too testy an issues for all the testosterone here. Still, it's sad to see Ybor-tions like this occur.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thats a vast oversimplification, and out right wrong in the extreme. The reason Hav-a-Tampa failed is because of the bad economy. The bad economy that we are suffering through was a direct result of the failure of not one, but MANY administrations on both sides of the isle, from the seeds of the disaster planted in the Carter administration, to the spendthrift attitude of the Bush administration and a whole lot of screwing the pooch in between.

I'm not going to elaborate on my grand theory of how things have gotten to the point that they are in, because this reply is likely to be deleted, what I will say is that the middle class worldwide, which is the driving force of any economy, has taken a pounding at the hands of the multinational corporations and the NAFTA agreements, and that, my friends is the cause of this whole problem. Obama is merely a politician, part of the same system that has systematically failed the American public for the last fourty years.

The system is the same four hundred pound gorilla giving it to you the wrong way, except the Democrats tend to wear masks and whisper "for the children" while doing it.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
BigAl_SC
The last mango in Paris

First Name: Alan
Trading: (7)
Trinidad
BigAl_SC is on a distinguished road

They will be missed. When I was 20 or so I dated the granddaughter of a roller there. I'm sure she is long retired but like the saying goes 'rolled on thighs of Cuban women' brings back memories of the granddaughters thighs.

I guess those were my first hand rolled cigars also.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
Thats a vast oversimplification, and out right wrong in the extreme. The reason Hav-a-Tampa failed is because of the bad economy. The bad economy that we are suffering through was a direct result of the failure of not one, but MANY administrations on both sides of the isle, from the seeds of the disaster planted in the Carter administration, to the spendthrift attitude of the Bush administration and a whole lot of screwing the pooch in between.

I'm not going to elaborate on my grand theory of how things have gotten to the point that they are in, because this reply is likely to be deleted, what I will say is that the middle class worldwide, which is the driving force of any economy, has taken a pounding at the hands of the multinational corporations and the NAFTA agreements, and that, my friends is the cause of this whole problem. Obama is merely a politician, part of the same system that has systematically failed the American public for the last fourty years.

The system is the same four hundred pound gorilla giving it to you the wrong way, except the Democrats tend to wear masks and whisper "for the children" while doing it.
Dude, the company didn't fail, they found a labor market that would keep them in business. A labor market that happens to be a part of the USA.
(There's more than just the 50 states!) Yes, it is a shame that people in Tampa lost their jobs. Is that something new in the cigar world of Tampa?
Ahhh, not by a long shot. Read some history.

Despite being a very conservative right wing kinda guy, I think your comment about the gorilla and democrats engaged in unnatural relations is in poor taste and shows your ignorance.

Sober up and then respond in a responsible way to a BOTL's post that is about cigars and not your ranting political stuff that does not belong here.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

And it prolly appears that Swisher International is soon to follow. My step son and my step daughter's husband are currently employed by Swisher in Jacksonville. With the FDA and no flavored rule that will either cause Swisher to close or move offshore as well, because according to my stepson 90% to 95% of their sales are flavored cigars, and I aint no economist but I don't blieve you can overcome that. So it appears to me instead of creating jobs the current administration and congress are destroying them.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
So it appears to me instead of creating jobs the current administration and congress are destroying them.
Don't forget too that jobs created in the last 20-30 years in the US are often service jobs and not blue collar jobs, which are the backbone of the country.

Looking at this graph, you gotta wonder what happened between 01 and 09.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Aint gettin in no pissin contest here, I said the current administration and CONGRESS who are made up of both sides. If we continue to look backwards to go forwards we aint going too far IMHO.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote