Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #4201
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Give me some JD BP Rye any day and thrice on Sundays and I'll be happy. No idea how they manage to make rye that good
I haven't tried it yet. I passed on a bottle a few months back and of course that's the last time I've seen it.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #4202
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
RA
Mikepd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I wonder if I had a bad sample, Ben, or I'm just not much of a rye guy anymore, but the one I tried did nada for me. I guess I need to give one another shot.
That bottle I brought to Shack in 2023 was meh at best, and as Tom said, he thought it was not a good product. I've tried a few since different pours since from different barrels and I thought they ranged from alright to good, but it hasn't been too high on my list to pick up a bottle. Guess I should give it a try again.

Ben, which would you pick, JD SiB BP Rye (125+ proof) or Michters Barrel Strength Rye (107-115 proof)?
Mikepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:14 AM   #4203
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Stopped in Binny's for the Wednesday drop. Choice of 1 from Weller SR, EH Taylor Small Batch, 1792 Sweet Wheat and 1792 Aged Twelve Years. Just finished a Sweet Wheat recently, so chose the 12 Year. First pour was good, but nothing like some of their Full Proof picks I have had.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #4204
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I've only had a few JDBPR barrels but thought they were all great, given the choice of one at random vs a Michters BSR (if they were both priced like JD) I'd probably take the Michters because I have some great memories drinking that bottle and it's also really friggin good, but there are definitely some Jack Rye picks I've had that I'd take over the Michters

Now if only we could go back to 2020 and buy more of that first JD Rye LE, I didn't think I liked rye until I tried that. I'm still only so-so on rye as a category but have learned that there is so much variation and some can hit me in the right spot. Still haven't found a 95/5 that blew my socks off, I just don't think that one is for me