Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road
Default Cutter and Punch

I'm sure that I'm not the first to do this, but earlier today I cut a torpedo, leaving ~5/8" of exposed cigar. The draw was too stiff for my liking, but I was too close to the end of the cap to cut again; so I punched it.

As you can imagine, when I retracted the punch, all I had done was to outline a circular hole in the head, whereupon I used the rod in my pipe tool to dig the tobacco out.

The results weren't magic, and they were a bit messy, but I did get a better draw such that I had no complaints smoking that cigar.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cutter and Punch

I have never tried this but it sounds like a solid idea.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Did you get bits and pieces of leaf in your mouth?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Would this work with a V cutter?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

No bits and pieces. Remember that the punch only outlined a hole; I was digging out the tobacco that was attached to the binding long-leaf below. Whatever I didn't dig out was bound.

I don't possess a V-cutter and only from pictures taken at the side-not the top after the cutter has done its work-do I have some idea of what it does; thus I am unable to even hazard a guess.

From what I can tell the V-cutter scores a shallow v-shaped cut across the top of the cigar. The smoker then makes another cut at a 90º angle to the first cut. True?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

There are a couple of figurado's that I punch -- I learned this from a rep at an LFDC event. He punched a Chisel for me instead of letting me cut it -- it's much better to punch this particular stick (and those shaped like it) than to cut it.

Just goes to show that there is a place for everything...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo_buscatti View Post
No bits and pieces. Remember that the punch only outlined a hole; I was digging out the tobacco that was attached to the binding long-leaf below. Whatever I didn't dig out was bound.

I don't possess a V-cutter and only from pictures taken at the side-not the top after the cutter has done its work-do I have some idea of what it does; thus I am unable to even hazard a guess.

From what I can tell the V-cutter scores a shallow v-shaped cut across the top of the cigar. The smoker then makes another cut at a 90º angle to the first cut. True?
I've never used a handheld V cutter, just the table top and I was very impressed with it. Would eventually like to get one for my bar, I have wondered about cutting a cigar (regular cutter) and then using a punch afterwards, but I thought it might be too much overkill.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Never heard that. Just one cut with a V cutter.

I am not a fan of the V or the punch for any cigar. I like to have the most available surface area for the smoke to travel. Plus I have had too many tar build-up issues with the other cuts that I always ended up cutting them with my Palio anyway to get rid of the tar.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I've never used a handheld V cutter, just the table top and I was very impressed with it. Would eventually like to get one for my bar, I have wondered about cutting a cigar (regular cutter) and then using a punch afterwards, but I thought it might be too much overkill.
Well the punch is designed simply to remove the cap and leave the filler in place. To cut it and then punch it is not the way it is designed but if it works to then remove the filler with a tool I guess do it if it helps.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Well the punch is designed simply to remove the cap and leave the filler in place. To cut it and then punch it is not the way it is designed but if it works to then remove the filler with a tool I guess do it if it helps.
A tool... like a drill bit maybe?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

T.G.,

Marvelous idea to use a drill bit instead of the punch after a cut as I think it would automatically remove the tobacco that I had to pick at to remove.

A drill bit is my next move, but probably not used too often as there is usually enough room for a second cut if the first leaves you with an unsatisfactory draw.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had a giant electric pencil sharpener to cut my cigars.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

I used a drill bit and although it didn't extract all the tobacco that it had cut, it did make the process much easier, much better than the rod on my pipe tool.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It's sounds like you are going to a lot of work here...

The whole process is supposed to be simple and enjoyable: Sip your drink, A simple cut or punch, sip your drink, toast the foot, sip your drink, light your cigar, sip your drink, take a puff off of your cigar, sip your drink...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Try a draw poker
Old 08-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

not a fan of punch..cutter rulezzz ngehehehe
Old 09-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #17
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

For me, a draw poker is worthless. Most times when I use it, poking all the way out through the foot, the only way to in fact improve the draw, the wrapper bursts; if I just poke the first two inches, the wrapper may not burst but the tool has no effect.

The only way that I can think that a draw poker could be used in conjunction with the cutter and punch would be after both of these tools have been used, and you are trying to remove the interior tobacco of the punched head.

But far superior to a poker is the drill bit. It not only cuts but also removes the tobacco that it cuts.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Never heard that. Just one cut with a V cutter.

I am not a fan of the V or the punch for any cigar. I like to have the most available surface area for the smoke to travel. Plus I have had too many tar build-up issues with the other cuts that I always ended up cutting them with my Palio anyway to get rid of the tar.
My Feelings, Exactly!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
vinnydisilvio

Quote:
For me, a draw poker is worthless. Most times when I use it, poking all the way out through the foot, the only way to in fact improve the draw, the wrapper bursts; if I just poke the first two inches, the wrapper may not burst but the tool has no effect.
i guess it all depends on where the blockage is...or if the draw is tight because of the overall roll of the cigar. the one time i used the poker on my pipe tool (which is max. 3 inches long) it did improve the draw.

the drill bit is an interesting idea.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
It's sounds like you are going to a lot of work here...

The whole process is supposed to be simple and enjoyable: Sip your drink, A simple cut or punch, sip your drink, toast the foot, sip your drink, light your cigar, sip your drink, take a puff off of your cigar, sip your drink...
Yes, you're exactly right. I always want to light quickly, so I can get my first taste like a crack addict needing the first hit! I really should slow down and enjoy the whole experience.

Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote