Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough
Default Did something stupid...I guess...

Hey all,

I wanted to relate something that I did last night that seemed stupid after the fact, but after after the fact, it actually turned out good...I guess. Anyhow...

I was out by my fire last night, and I was enjoying a Rocky Patel Sun Grown for the first time. About 1/2 way through, it started to die out (must not have been attentive enough!), and I let it go out before I relit it. I remembered reading something about blowing the old smoke out of the cigar before relighting it, so I reared back and blew through the cigar. It must have had some fire left inside because it smoked a lot before "going out". When I looked at the end of the cigar, it had a really nice cherry on it now and was fully ready to smoke. I let it set for a few seconds to cool it back down, and started puffing away again. Amazingly, it didn't taste "hot" or have any bad flavor. In fact, it was as if I had lit a new cigar. Weird... Did I do something stupid, or is this a trick that others have found, too?

As a side note, I didn't think that the RP Sun Grown was all that bold or strong. I think that it was a medium to full bodied smoke, and I thought that it had awesome flavor. I'm a noob and can't really describe the flavors, but it was definitely tasty! Not a "knock your socks off" power though.

Nick
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice
Default Re: Did something stupid...I guess...

This is exactly what I do to recharge cigars that are fading but haven't yet gone completely out. Rather than taking the torch to it again, I blow out through the cigar. There is enough oxygen in your exhaled air that it will encourage the burn to grow, especially if you give it a long, sustained exhale. Then, just like you did, let the cigar sit for a bit to cool down so you don't get any harsh flavor.

This is the exact same as puffing strongly on the cigar to get it to burn evenly, except when exhaling you aren't forced to taste all the harsh flavors as the cigar starts to burn hot.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Nope, you did it right!! Wish I had learned it early on. It would have saved a few sticks from the trash.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

The RP Sungrown is one of my original inexpensive go to sticks.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

The technical term is "purging". You can do a search for purge and purging, and should find a number of threads. Just refrain from blowing too vigorously, as you can blow embers and burn holes in things!! BTW, when you do this to a cigar that has gone out, it is still called purging. you can actually ignite the purging gasses with a lighter when you are blowing out, for a neat flaming effect. However, this is not necessary for a purge to work. It may not even be desired, as it WILL produce higher heat at the burning foot area, and extra heat on the unburned tobaccos isn't necessary a good thing. But it's a neat effect, anyway. Just don't torch yourself or anyone/anything nearby!!

Last edited by SvilleKid; 08-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseboston81 View Post
This is exactly what I do to recharge cigars that are fading but haven't yet gone completely out. Rather than taking the torch to it again, I blow out through the cigar. There is enough oxygen in your exhaled air that it will encourage the burn to grow, especially if you give it a long, sustained exhale. Then, just like you did, let the cigar sit for a bit to cool down so you don't get any harsh flavor.

This is the exact same as puffing strongly on the cigar to get it to burn evenly, except when exhaling you aren't forced to taste all the harsh flavors as the cigar starts to burn hot.
Thanks for the feedback! It seemed to work well, but I didn't know if I just got lucky or if this was something that a lot of folks did. I've found a new trick!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

yep this is the right technique for the situation
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
ResidentPony

LOL. I was purging a cigar tonight and tried to make pretty lights to show someone. Blew the nasty exhaust over my lighter; it flared enough to burn my thumb.
Yeah, it gives new life to a stick.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentPony View Post
LOL. I was purging a cigar tonight and tried to make pretty lights to show someone. Blew the nasty exhaust over my lighter; it flared enough to burn my thumb.
Yeah, it gives new life to a stick.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, man! I'll be careful the next time that I try it.