Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Whole house water filtration-any advice?

A buddy of mine has asked me about whole house filtration systems and is on a well. My only exposure wad to a Rainsoft presentation in my home where you're given a "special" that'd only good that day because it's not wise to research something before committing ~$7k, right?

Any suggestions? Thanks.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whole house water filtration-any advice?

What he'd use completely depends on how his water tests.
A person can buy equipment anyplace nowadays. Agway, Tractor Supply, Lowes, whatever. Before you start buying stuff, you have to figure out what you need and how much of it, and that's based on the test.
It's really kind of odd that he has a well and needs anything at all. It's either shallow and getting runoff, or he's pooping in it, right?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
JDTexan
College Football Fanatic

First Name: Justin
Trading: (3)
JL
JDTexan is on a distinguished road

I agree with Scott, when on a well your friend should not need any filtration unless it is inside is outhouse, LOL.
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
zappaFREAK
The Black Page

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
zappaFREAK is on a distinguished road

It all depends on the issues with your water. There are point of use systems which can treat the water at the sink which can be affective. The whole house systems are great if you have hard or soft water which needs treating to become palatable. i am very lucky to be in an area with great tasting water which requires no treatment. There are a lot of different types of systems so you need to know what you are trying to treat the water for to pick the right system. Check out this link for more info:http://www.nsf.org/consumer/drinking..._treatment.asp
Old 02-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

It really depends on what he is "filtering." Whether it is particulate or chemical imbalance he is trying to correct. Softening is one thing in whole house quantities, filtration is another. Whole house carbon filters, for instance, can (when sized properly) be very expensive to maintain, and if not maintained, a complete waste of money. (Not to mention very rarely needed) There is a lot of voodoo science out there, and even in the most established companies, "overeager" selling and bullsh!t. Treatment does not necessarily = filtration. If he has high THMs, herbi/pesticides, arsenic or some other nasty, his issues may be far greater than writing a check.
On the other hand, putting in a really nice RO system could cost 3-4 grand for drinking/cooking water in a large home, and be completely feasible and reasonable.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
It really depends on what he is "filtering." Whether it is particulate or chemical imbalance he is trying to correct. Softening is one thing in whole house quantities, filtration is another. Whole house carbon filters, for instance, can (when sized properly) be very expensive to maintain, and if not maintained, a complete waste of money. (Not to mention very rarely needed) There is a lot of voodoo science out there, and even in the most established companies, "overeager" selling and bullsh!t. Treatment does not necessarily = filtration. If he has high THMs, herbi/pesticides, arsenic or some other nasty, his issues may be far greater than writing a check.
On the other hand, putting in a really nice RO system could cost 3-4 grand for drinking/cooking water in a large home, and be completely feasible and reasonable.
How I wish we had RO everywhere. Our municipal water is about 300ppm of crap and all the fixtures look like we have saltwater pumped in from the Atlantic. I'm spoiled.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

unless you have BIG bucks, and BIG space, an RO system for the needs of a whole houses demand is a bit out of the reach of 99.99 percent of us. It would require huge tanks, pumps, etc. not to mention small industrial sized membranes, monitoring equipment, blah blah... In the industry, when you refer to RO treatment, it is mainly for drinking/cooking water. It would be bizarre to have Giraffe Money to have an RO room in your "estate" though.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
mmblz

Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
It's really kind of odd that he has a well and needs anything at all. It's either shallow and getting runoff, or he's pooping in it, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTexan View Post
I agree with Scott, when on a well your friend should not need any filtration unless it is inside is outhouse, LOL.
We have a well. Water is perfect EXCEPT Arsenic is a little high... Over the current limit, but only by a little - and under the limit as of 10 years ago or something like that.
Someday we'll get a filtration system, but they're expensive enough that for now we just buy bottled water...
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTexan View Post
We had to have a filter on on our well for the iron in the water. You could always tell when the filter was getting clogged as the hot water would smell like someone was boiling brocolli.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
BC-Axeman

My well is high in iron, magnesium and calcium. There is no problem with drinking it but we get orange crust on everything with it. Fortunately, we only use the untreated well water for irrigation. We use a two tank system where the first tank is the irrigation supply and gets aerated so the iron precipitates out, then it gets filtered through a pool type sand filter to another tank for the home supply. This then gets charcoal filtered and 10 micron filtered at the house. Then we have a $350 RO undersink filter, just for drinking water. This system requires a well pump, in irrigation-transfer pump and a house pump, with their associated pressure tanks. Electricity is the biggest cost, everything is on timers and controllers. The only thing I have to do is replace the 10 inch cartridge filters about three times a year. I buy them in bulk.
This system works for my water but it it may not work for anyone else.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
mmblz

Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
This system works for my water but it it may not work for anyone else.

THat's what I took from our research so far.
Many different types of filters to address many different problems.
Best if he starts by talking to a plumber.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post

THat's what I took from our research so far.
Many different types of filters to address many different problems.
Best if he starts by talking to a plumber.
Many municipalities also offer testing through the Agricultural Extension service, checking into that might be a good solution to have an in depth water analysis done, and help differentiate exactly what treatments he needs, for instance you can have iron in your water, but may depend on if it is soluble or not, or if there are iron bacteria present. (which can be pretty awful). Independent labs may also be available, but the cost may be higher than an extension service.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I have a cistern that collects rainwater. Water goes into a 10,000 gallon underground holder(cistern) that is divided in two by a cinderbrick wall. The water where the house intake has been filtered thru this wall. The intake is a couple of inches above the floor to avoid settled crap. We have two Omni filters, the first a sediment filter, the second a carbon filter. They get changed every coupla months depending on. The unit is sealed, so the only "bad" thing that gets in it is bird poop and whatever nasty the rain water brings in. I throw in a cup or two of Clorox every once in a while when we expect rain(to mix it well.)

It's gotten so that I can't drink water at most restaurants because of the chlorine taste.

http://www.omni-water-filters.org/WFwholehouse_u25.htm
Old 02-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I called a friend who is on a well system. His advice was to call your county and find out who is knowledgeable about what water quality issues are in your area and what techniques are being used. Check around and find any farm supply stores or granges in your area. Don't ask so much about systems, but find out who really knows about the issues with the water and is the one everyone asks filtration questions to. A bit of work, but probably only a few phone calls and maybe a couple of hours talking to people in person on a Saturday.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

There are a lot of good responses here. I just wanted to add to NEVER EVER buy Rainsoft.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
There are a lot of good responses here. I just wanted to add to NEVER EVER buy Rainsoft.
Unless you're lazy and have LOTS of disposable income.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
That is very good advice. I did once upon a time buy this junk. They are crooks of the worst kind. When you buy it you are stuck using them to service it. They suck at all levels of their organization (at least in Jacksonville Fl.) They lie, cheat and steal.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I also meant to add that they did teach me a lesson. Whenever someone tries to sell me something that the price is only good for today, I run them off my property.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yep,

You talked me out of a Rainsoft and into a much better water softener that has worked out great, but I'm thinking it doesn't qualify as home filtration.

I loooked very seriously at this http://www.aquasanastore.com/aq-whole-house.html , but decided on the softener insted as we have a water cooler for the water we drink.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #20
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I also meant to add that they did teach me a lesson. Whenever someone tries to sell me something that the price is only good for today, I run them off my property.
Scratch Greg off any timeshare offers, doesn't appear to be impulsive or succeptible to heat pitchers.