Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Oliva fans

For any of you guys that like oliva out there I have a couple comments / questions.

I was getting some more bombs ready and I was going through one of my trays and decided " hey a oliva series g robusto maduro it should make for a good before work / quick smoke" so I grabbed it and set it on fire.

Question is how long do you guys rest the oliva's for and what do you find it's sweet spot to be?

Reason I ask is because I took a while off cigars (due to work and other things that took up alot of time and money) and now got back to were I can enjoy them again and am revisiting a stash with a min of 11 months of rest.

I have smoked the series g before and liked it but I don't ever recall liking it this much. The flavor profile I picked up was a nice leather/spice with hints of sweetness. Mind you my palate is still new and I am mostly on a like / don't like basis.

I don't know if it's the age or just me so I want to know from you guys what flavor profiles you pick up on these and how long you like to let them sit.

I'm gonna pick up a box of these or a few 5er's next time I see them on the monster cause I'm digging these right now for a good everyday smoke.

I also have some o's that I'm gonna try tomorrow and see how those are.

Sorry for the long rant

/end rant

/begin other user feedback on these
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oliva fans

My local Oliva Rep is a pretty cool guy and through hanging out with him a few times, I have gathered that all of the Oliva's are ready to smoke ROTT. Now with that said, I haven't noticed much of a difference with 0-12months of age on the Olivas. If you have had the chance to smoke some of the Blue Cloth Banded Olivas recently you will see that with many years of age, the cigars are performing even better. Although that doesn't directly address your near-term aging question, I wanted to point it out because it bodes well for the long term aging of the recent production maduros.

In my experience, I have found that, although I enjoy the G's and the O's, I really like the Connecticut Reserves and the V's. The G's and the O's tend to have a very dry mouth feel, while the Conn Reserves and the V's are richer on the palate. Honestly I think you can't really go wrong with Olivas of any age.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Drez
The Warden

Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk26 View Post
My local Oliva Rep is a pretty cool guy and through hanging out with him a few times, I have gathered that all of the Oliva's are ready to smoke ROTT. Now with that said, I haven't noticed much of a difference with 0-12months of age on the Olivas. If you have had the chance to smoke some of the Blue Cloth Banded Olivas recently you will see that with many years of age, the cigars are performing even better. Although that doesn't directly address your near-term aging question, I wanted to point it out because it bodes well for the long term aging of the recent production maduros.

In my experience, I have found that, although I enjoy the G's and the O's, I really like the Connecticut Reserves and the V's. The G's and the O's tend to have a very dry mouth feel, while the Conn Reserves and the V's are richer on the palate. Honestly I think you can't really go wrong with Olivas of any age.
I thinks it's more of the fact that I haven't had a oliva in about a year but I really did enjoy the G. Yes it does leave a slight dryness but I had it paired with a nice cup of coffee and was able to nub it without it getting harsh or bitter.

I have heard alot of good things about the v and have one sitting in my humi that I picked up a couple weeks ago from The B&M.

All in all I have always liked the oliva family.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I prefer the V's, especially the lancero size. I find they are good out of the box, but they age very well! The box I have is now approaching 2 years old, and they are better now than they were new, though they were good when new!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Hello Frank, I've enjoyed both the Oliva V Double Robusto and Lancero from my local B&M with no problem. The G robusto nat and O robusto maddy that I've tried were ok, but again, have really enjoyed the V's. The V's would definately age very well.

With another brand, the Perdomo Lot 23 Conn', I purchased a 5er about 1 1/2 yrs back. Smoked a couple within the first 6 month period and really wasn't impressed. A few months back I smoked another from this same 5er and thought I was smoking a fine CC. It was that good and I would put it up against a CC too.

Of the Oliva' brands out there, I really do need to get out and purchase an Oliva Conn Resv Lonsdale and Robusto to burn. I hear these are pretty good...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Drez
The Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Hello Frank, I've enjoyed both the Oliva V Double Robusto and Lancero from my local B&M with no problem. The G robusto nat and O robusto maddy that I've tried were ok, but again, have really enjoyed the V's. The V's would definately age very well.

With another brand, the Perdomo Lot 23 Conn', I purchased a 5er about 1 1/2 yrs back. Smoked a couple within the first 6 month period and really wasn't impressed. A few months back I smoked another from this same 5er and thought I was smoking a fine CC. It was that good and I would put it up against a CC too.

Of the Oliva' brands out there, I really do need to get out and purchase an Oliva Conn Resv Lonsdale and Robusto to burn. I hear these are pretty good...
Speaking of perdomo's I have 3 lot 23 maduros that have about 12 if not more months on them right now. I will have to burn one and see how they are doing.

As for the oliva I will burn that v in the next couple days and see if I like it.

I'm revisiting alot of these smokes after about a year because I would like to buy a few boxes and stash away for a year or two.

Anyone got some maduro recommendations to give? There is alot I want to try out there and so little time / money lol.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have tried the Gs, Os and Vs. My Fav is still the V Maddie!!!! I agree some age helps, but I believe that goes for all cigars.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
tobii3

I still have Oliva Grand Cameroons in my humidor....and cloth bands...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Drez
The Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I have tried the Gs, Os and Vs. My Fav is still the V Maddie!!!! I agree some age helps, but I believe that goes for all cigars.
Seems that I've been missing out on the v's. The one I have will be laid to rest soon!!!

I like to rest all my smokes for a while before I even touch them (about 6 months)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
V Maddies with age on them smoke oh so good. I have said it here before and will say it again but the '08s are downright amazing right now.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post

I still have Oliva Grand Cameroons in my humidor....and cloth bands...
Had my first Cloth Band last week (Gifted from MAC). That has got to be the best Oliva I have ever had. Awesome Cigar.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
V Maddies with age on them smoke oh so good. I have said it here before and will say it again but the '08s are downright amazing right now.
I agree, had an 09 and a 10. The age does play a major role with them.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

It's funny this came up. I've tried the Conn, G, O, and V, loved them all, and have been thinking I should buy some and put them away. The Oliva site says the "Cameroon is a thin wrapper with little oils, its flavor will changed little from aging." Of course the site also says of the O; "Puros should be aged at generous humidity levels (70-78%) to preserve the natural oil" and I use 65% beads. I'm happy with the way my cigars smoke at 65% but maybe it's time to set up a separate humi for long term storage? And even if it's true the cam wrapper will not benefit from further aging, what about the wrapper and filler? I'm so confused
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

Most NC's are ready to smoke right away, will they get better with age? Some yes and some no. A good reason for leaving cigar in YOUR humi's is to acclimate them to YOUR conditions. I see so many guys on the boards say the same thing all the time "I just got so and so and I'm gonna put it down for a year or so then enjoy it" There not CC most have already been aged and are ready to burn smoke them and enjoy them.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
Drez
The Warden

I'm not talking about long term aging as I know most nc are already aged I'm just stating that after a year rest they were a very nice smoke. I have a couple boxes of smokes that are aging and have been for 3+ years. Some are cc and some are fresh local rolled.

I will pick up a box of v's soon to tuck away and smoke one every couple weeks to see how they go.