Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Sampler?

I was looking around on Famoussmoke and found this sampler. Now I have smoked on of the Ashtons already so I know I will like that one, and I was recommended an Oliva Connecticut Reserve. So does this look like a decent deal? $25 for 5 cigars (including shipping and an extra cutter.)
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Sampler?

What are the 5 cigars in it? You only mention two. But $25 for 5 cigars shipped with a cutter cannot be a bad deal really. Especially if you have Oliva and Ashton in the mix, as long as the other 3 aren't dogrockets I say pull the trigger.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Brad

Oliva Connie's are nice cigars, I agree with the recommendation, if you like Ashtons you will like the Oliva's as well.

As mentioned already, what are the other cigars in the sampler? I wouldn't worry about the cutter much, I'm sure it's a cheapie. If you're going to stick with this hobby, just get a Palio cutter. It will last you a lifetime, and save you from mangling a few cigars with a cheap, wobbly, cutter.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Flynnster

Sorry guys, meant to put a link in the original post. http://www.famous-smoke.com/famous+m...ars/item+33722

And I already have what seems to be a decent double blade cutter from the local shop so this one will just be an extra until I buy a nice one.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Nickerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oliva Connie's are nice cigars, I agree with the recommendation, if you like Ashtons you will like the Oliva's as well.

As mentioned already, what are the other cigars in the sampler? I wouldn't worry about the cutter much, I'm sure it's a cheapie. If you're going to stick with this hobby, just get a Palio cutter. It will last you a lifetime, and save you from mangling a few cigars with a cheap, wobbly, cutter.
I don't care for Connecticut cigars, but Oliva Connecticut Reserve and Oliva 'O' Connecticut are very nice. Connecticuts are typically mild-bodied and milder-flavor, however Oliva Connecticuts are very flavorful. The profile is that of a mild-bodied cigar, but the actual volume of flavor resembles that of a medium-full cigar.

Also. I don't care for samplers any more.

It seems they throw in a few good cigars to catch your attention, and then throw in a bunch of mediocre cigars to fill up the samplers. The catch your attention with the nice cigars and then push their unwanted inventory you normally wouldn't buy.

CigarsInternational is well known for this. There was a time they had the GrayCliff 1666 and Padilla Obsidian in almost every sampler deal. Two reasons. One they had a high MSRP to jack up the value on the sampler. And two, the cigars weren't as good as they were "suppose" to be and they were found with a large overstock.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Nickerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Sorry guys, meant to put a link in the original post. http://www.famous-smoke.com/famous+m...ars/item+33722

And I already have what seems to be a decent double blade cutter from the local shop so this one will just be an extra until I buy a nice one.
Ashton and Oliva are the treasures of the sampler. The others seem rather sub-par.

I know some people like Macanudo's, but quite a bit of cigar smokers have a strong dislike for them.

I would suggest picking up singles from a local shop or check out SeriousCigars who offers singles on their entire stock. And good prices on them as well.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerson View Post

It seems they throw in a few good cigars to catch your attention, and then throw in a bunch of mediocre cigars to fill up the samplers. The catch your attention with the nice cigars and then push their unwanted inventory you normally wouldn't buy.

CigarsInternational is well known for this. There was a time they had the GrayCliff 1666 and Padilla Obsidian in almost every sampler deal. Two reasons. One they had a high MSRP to jack up the value on the sampler. And two, the cigars weren't as good as they were "suppose" to be and they were found with a large overstock.
I completely agree. Many samplers have higher end cigars or high MSRP cigars paired with some less than or even completely unknowns. The better samplers to me are the samplers that are like "best of pepin". That way you at least know you're getting all DPG cigars. Single Brand cigar samplers are a better way to go.

I actually do enjoy the Graycliff 1666's though. Of course that's under the assumption you're paying $3-$4 a stick not the ridiculous MSRP.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Flynnster

I've gotten some singles already, a Montecristo #3, Ashton, and 2 Padron 2000's. Couldn't find the Oliva Conn. there though and found this sampler on accident.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Check out your local B&M's. A lot of them probably stock quite a bit of Oliva.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Flynnster

I really need to check out some of the other ones, I'm in downtown Chicago so there are a lot.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I completely agree. Many samplers have higher end cigars or high MSRP cigars paired with some less than or even completely unknowns. The better samplers to me are the samplers that are like "best of pepin". That way you at least know you're getting all DPG cigars. Single Brand cigar samplers are a better way to go.

I actually do enjoy the Graycliff 1666's though. Of course that's under the assumption you're paying $3-$4 a stick not the ridiculous MSRP.
When I look at a sampler, I decide what I'd pay for the ones I really want. If the price is still OK, the filler sticks are free. Well, sorta!
Wharf Rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
When I look at a sampler, I decide what I'd pay for the ones I really want. If the price is still OK, the filler sticks are free. Well, sorta!
What I found is....it's not the price that's the problem....HUMI SPACE! My humidor has a good 20-30 cigars that need to go away. Just stuff I didn't like or didn't want in the quantity I bought it in.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
What I found is....it's not the price that's the problem....HUMI SPACE! My humidor has a good 20-30 cigars that need to go away. Just stuff I didn't like or didn't want in the quantity I bought it in.
maybe you could donate those to the troops, or sell em to flynnster!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Flynnster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
maybe you could donate those to the troops, or sell em to flynnster!
I like the way you think, haha.

Is it hard to ship sticks to the troops?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I like the way you think, haha.

Is it hard to ship sticks to the troops?
Contact Hotreds. Its very simple.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
Nickerson

Quote:
I've gotten some singles already, a Montecristo #3, Ashton, and 2 Padron 2000's. Couldn't find the Oliva Conn. there though and found this sampler on accident.
Serious has Oliva Connecticut Reserve's for $5.00 each. They got great prices on other Oliva's as well.

If you want some suggestions and recommendations let me know some cigars you like already and I'll see what I can suggest.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
Flynnster

Alright, so I liked the Ashton, and the #3, the Padron 2000 natural was bad (had a weird non natural taste to it) but the Maduro was good.
Suggestions? Trying to keep prices below 8
Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Try a Brickhouse, they run $5-6 and are better than Padron Maduros, though they have a similar flavor. They also won Cigar of the Year recently.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
Flynnster

Alright, thanks man.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #20
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Also, if you want something completely different that'll wow you, try a Perdomo Reserve 10th Anny Champagne. Its a real mild smoke that packs a lot of flavor and will remind you of summer(the entire time I smoked my first I was craving watermellon and burgers)
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote