Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default LP #9 First Review

LP #9

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Oscuro
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan
Size: Robusto 5.0 x 52 ring

Just looking at this cigar makes you want to smoke it. It has a nice mottled darkness to it. There is one vein running down this stick that I think actually makes it looks better. There is a slight tear up near the cap on the side which actually became a problem later but did not hurt the smoke too bad.

First 1/3
I cut the cap with my very sharp Kershaw Skyline and find that it is really dry which is a little strange as it has been resting in my humi for a little over a week and I am a little high at 68%. Also there was some wadded up tobacco under the cap, which I have not seen much before, probably helped the cap stay on or look plump or something. The little tear was a problem as too much of the cap came off and caused a little crack that grew as I smoked the cigar. I did not hamper anything but was a little annoying. I think I really needed to have a punch for this one as that would have kept the problem from happening in the first place. The draw was great and had a nice clean woodsy leather taste.

Toasted the foot with my single flame jet torch and immediately this thing was putting out a lot of smoke, even with the light wind outside I could see huge amounts of smoke coming off this stick. The flavor was a very clean pepper maybe white pepper with a really nice sweetness on the back end. The ash was nice white and held on till I knocked it off at about an inch and a half.

Second 1/3
The pepper has picked up and the sweetened has dropped off. What is really nice is that some leather and wood have stepped in and they are balancing the pepper really well. I really enjoy how clean the pepper flavor is here, I have smoked many “pepper bombs” and they are always either too heavy or feel muddy, not so with this stick it is so clean and flavor full, I am really enjoying it at this point.

Third 1/3
Now I am really starting to feel the nic kick in and the pepper has almost completely kicked it and I can taste a really nice spice on my lips. Unfortunately the crack on the head has gotten bigger and with the nic starting to make me a little nauseated it is time to put this stick down at about an inch left.

This was probably one of my favorite NC’s that I have smoked. Really great clean pepper flavor that does not overwhelm the palate and allows the other secondary flavors to be picked sweet, wood, leather, up and really experienced. It was also nice to see distinct sections as I smoked through this cigar. If you can find some I highly recommend you pick up at least a few. I was really impressed by the fact this cigar needed very little purging, I probably only purged three times (right after the ash fell off).

I give this a thumbs up and if my second stick is as good as this one was I think a box purchase is in my future.