Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recommendations for myself

If you like full-bodied flavor, try a Coronado.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
I honestly dont see the problem with what he's doing. The @ thing is keeping the thread from getting spammed from him responding to every post.
Could just as easily use the multi-quote function and insert replies in between the individual quotes. The biggest advantage is that it saves a lot of scrolling up and down to see the context that the reply was referring to, since as this isn't twitter, a decent percentage of the people here are actually interested in reading more responses than just their own / those directed towards them. With 5 or 6 quotes allowed per post, it wouldn't clutter up the thread any more than the nearly incomprehensible replies with all the @, $, %, ‡, ∙, ¬, ™, š, Ð, #tigerblood stuff in them.

Last edited by T.G; 11-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I had written my replies in Notepad so I could read the text on the screen as I wrote it and pasted them into the Quick Reply box. Didn't mean to upset anyone, wasn't aware this could/would cause an issue. I won't do it again.

Made a thread that I was happy with and proud of.. Now it just seems I'm a screw up. Have a good night everyone.

Last edited by iaMkcK; 11-19-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I honestly dont see the problem with what he's doing. The @ thing is keeping the thread from getting spammed from him responding to every post.
I don't know how to explain it any simpler than what I (or Adam below) have done.
Spammed? I have no clue what you mean. Just recommending that he follow convention here used by most members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Could just as easily use the multi-quote function and insert replies in between the individual quotes. The biggest advantage is that it saves a lot of scrolling up and down to see the context that the reply was referring to, since as this isn't twitter, a decent percentage of the people here are actually interested in reading more responses than just their own / those directed towards them. With 5 or 6 quotes allowed per post, it wouldn't clutter up the thread any more than the nearly incomprehensible replies with all the @, $, %, ‡, ∙, ¬, ™, š, Ð, #tigerblood stuff in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
Sorry, I had written my replies in Notepad so I could read the text on the screen as I wrote it and pasted them into the Quick Reply box. Didn't mean to upset anyone, wasn't aware this could/would cause an issue. I won't do it again.

Made a thread that I was happy with and proud of.. Now it just seems I'm a screw up. Have a good night everyone.
No apology needed, Jarrett.
My post was meant as a concerned member - not as an admin.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #25
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Oliva V
More Padron
J Fuego Origen Soft Pack
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #26
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

No apology needed, Jarrett.
My post was meant as a concerned member - not as an admin.
And when you eventually make it to a S.HI.T. herf, I will have a few sticks for you that you might like.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #27
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
And when you eventually make it to a S.HI.T. herf, I will have a few sticks for you that you might like.
I'll do my best next month. Thursdays are always tricky. Thanks again Pete.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
No, you're not a screw up until you keep repeating the same mistakes.

Quote:
Sorry, I had written my replies in Notepad so I could read the text on the screen as I wrote it and pasted them into the Quick Reply box.
That is precisely the reason why the multi-quote function is great. Hit the multi-quote button (the " button to the right of the QUOTE button) for each of the posts you wish to respond to, then on the final one, click quote, and they will all be individually quoted in a single new post in the advanced editor. You don't have to scroll or keep track of posts to reply to either, you just insert your replies between the quoted posts.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #29
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
I'll do my best next month. Thursdays are always tricky. Thanks again Pete.
If you make it down this way on a weekend, we can try to arrange a herf on Saturday or Sunday. Although, holiday time can be tricky.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #30
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
No, you're not a screw up until you keep repeating the same mistakes.

That is precisely the reason why the multi-quote function is great. Hit the multi-quote button (the " button to the right of the QUOTE button) for each of the posts you wish to respond to, then on the final one, click quote, and they will all be individually quoted in a single new post in the advanced editor. You don't have to scroll or keep track of posts to reply to either, you just insert your replies between the quoted posts.
Adam is a fart smel..er...smart feller.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #31
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Other boards and technologies have their style of communications which may differ from the norm at CA. Some effort has gone in to trying to encourage a consistency of style here because, well, it can be hard on the brain (at least my tiny one) to morph styles when you pop in to a different thread.

The moderators notice this more quickly than others since they do (and I do mean do) read every post made here. Their sensitivity to divergent styles is perhaps more keen than most, but in general their ministrations are just ahead of the crowd, which is known to be less than gentle in their ministration.

While it may be convenient for someone who loves the Twitter (or FB or whatever) style to bring it here for convenience, ultimately they are, whether they know it or not, trying to move the style of discourse here in a new direction. The multi-quote and other VB forum style techniques used here have stood the test of time. We are a large board with an active membership using that style of communications. To accidentally or deliberately mess with a winning formula would, in my (some may say arrogant) opinion, lead to a lack of harmony and fracture the board even more than the "banter thread of the day" movement already has.

The OP can continue how he wishes and we'll see how it plays out. The OP can also be sensitive to the local style of communications and adapt. One may be far easier for the community at large and one easier for the OP, but only the OP can say what path he will take.

Hoping that this resolves itself quickly in a way that all can live with...

Just another old guy who has been wrong before.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Other boards and technologies have their style of communications which may differ from the norm at CA. Some effort has gone in to trying to encourage a consistency of style here because, well, it can be hard on the brain (at least my tiny one) to morph styles when you pop in to a different thread.

The moderators notice this more quickly than others since they do (and I do mean do) read every post made here. Their sensitivity to divergent styles is perhaps more keen than most, but in general their ministrations are just ahead of the crowd, which is known to be less than gentle in their ministration.

While it may be convenient for someone who loves the Twitter (or FB or whatever) style to bring it here for convenience, ultimately they are, whether they know it or not, trying to move the style of discourse here in a new direction. The multi-quote and other VB forum style techniques used here have stood the test of time. We are a large board with an active membership using that style of communications. To accidentally or deliberately mess with a winning formula would, in my (some may say arrogant) opinion, lead to a lack of harmony and fracture the board even more than the "banter thread of the day" movement already has.

The OP can continue how he wishes and we'll see how it plays out. The OP can also be sensitive to the local style of communications and adapt. One may be far easier for the community at large and one easier for the OP, but only the OP can say what path he will take.

Hoping that this resolves itself quickly in a way that all can live with...

Just another old guy who has been wrong before.
I've long since apologized. Back on topic please!

Great suggestions all, looking forward to more!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #33
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
For the record, I'm not so sure everyone even knows how to use the multi-quote, as I still haven't figured it out and have been here quite awhile, so I wouldn't assume a guy whos been here just shy of two months tops to have it all figured out. Not trying to start a fight or anything, just sayin how I see it. The @ thing is much simpler and less time consuming than quoting each post and copy-pasting it into another window/tab as I've done a number of times.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #34
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
For the record, I'm not so sure everyone even knows how to use the multi-quote, as I still haven't figured it out and have been here quite awhile, so I wouldn't assume a guy whos been here just shy of two months tops to have it all figured out.
It takes about 6 seconds to figure out... on a bad day, with a hangover, on a 14.4 dial up, running mosaic.

Quote:

And now you know.

Quote:
Not trying to start a fight or anything, just sayin how I see it. The @ thing is much simpler and less time consuming than quoting each post and copy-pasting it into another window/tab as I've done a number of times.
We already covered this, four times. Furthermore, the @herpderp works on twitter because of the automatic conversation threading, Over there, it's quite easy to actually bring up the post that was being responded to along with the entire conversation, so things actually are in context and make sense.
Here... not so much.

But hey, if you wish to be obtuse about understanding the differences between the sites, their format and conventions along with how the use of @herpderp nonsense yields exceptionally poor quality and hard to understand posts here, go for it.

Last edited by T.G; 11-20-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #35
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

So I've heard OpusX are good...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #36
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
So I've heard OpusX are good...
Good cigars, as in tobacco quality, blending and construction; yes.

Good for everyone, as in liking or enjoying; no.

Opus X is unique enough to be a must try cigar, but it's hype and reputation proceed it, and, sometimes these will influence what people think of the cigar. Which seems to happen more with Opus Xes than other cigars. I've noticed that, with the Opus X more than any other cigar except maybe their first Cuban cigar, people often go into their first Opus X cigar with expectations of greatness, foot massages, and the red sea parting while they smoke it.

If you can go into smoking one completely open minded with no expectations, even as hard as that is, then that's your best bet. I've seen people force themselves to like the cigar and give it a personal top 5 rated just because so many people rave how it's the best cigar they have ever smoked.

Different vitolas do make a difference in the profile of the cigar, so trying a few different shapes/sizes is ideal. MSRP runs around $10/cigar to low-mid $20's depending on size. Don't overpay, it will make the whole impartial smoking even harder.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #37
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

I've grown fond of smaller cigars. Used to force myself to smoke huge Churchill's just for bang for buck. I've gotten over that. PCs can be fruitful powerhouses. Any small Opus Xes worth igniting in your opinion?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #38
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Illusione. I was oblivious to their existence until the guy at one of my regular B&M's suggested. Like you said, it almost seemed like it was rolled in sugar! Pretty powerful smoke, caught me completely off guard.

Oh yeah, my obligatory #1 for Padron x000 series
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #39
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If you are looking for a nice fine smoke you might give the Escencia's a try; they are made by one of our BOTLs who also makes Palio cutters.

Gullien cigars are inexpensive and are also made by one of our BOTLs.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #40
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I've grown fond of smaller cigars. Used to force myself to smoke huge Churchill's just for bang for buck. I've gotten over that. PCs can be fruitful powerhouses. Any small Opus Xes worth igniting in your opinion?
When I still smoked these, I found the larger sizes to be somewhat bland in comparison to their smaller counterparts.

There are quite a few vitolas in the Opus X line, but the problem is that they aren't all released every year and it's unlikely for any B&M to get more than a few sizes in any given shipment. So you really have to take what you can get when it comes to these.

Keep an eye on the "Limited and HTF" section of Tampa Sweethearts website (or call them), they sell them at MSRP or less - sometimes bundled with other cigars like their own line, which are good cigars and nothing to steer away from.