Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice on iPhone versus Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Not sure as mine is on a family plan, but I'm pretty sure you can get equivalent or more minutes, unlimited data, but limited text for at least $20 cheaper per month, probably more though. Unlimited text is available but I've not looked into it.
Yeah I just priced it out and I think Verizon comes out more expensive than an iphone on a per month basis
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I have unlimited Data and Text with Verizon. Since I have 2 phones and 2 blackberries on the plan it is hard to compare prices with a single user.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #23
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenvt View Post
Yeah I just priced it out and I think Verizon comes out more expensive than an iphone on a per month basis
Was over 15$ a month cheaper on Verizon than ATT. Far better service too. And before the iphone junkies jump on my back. I've used ATT before.

I think you should make a phone call. There's like 3 different blackberry plans on Verizon.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #24
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

$69.99 (cheapest plan).. I only need 450 anytime minutes
$5.00 for 200 text messages

Comes with unlimited data
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #25
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Looks like for 450 minutes, unlimited iPhone data plan, it's $70 per month... then you have to add texts.

iPhone Text Messaging Unlimited
$20.00/month
iPhone Text Messaging 1500
$15.00/month
iPhone Text Messaging 200
$5.00/month

So even with unlimited texts, if you need it, it's $90 plus tax for the comparable plan but it also comes with unlimited data. Plus, my apple stock needs just a few more dollars until I have to adjust my stop sell order a bit higher.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #26
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Plus... blackberrys are great phones, so you really cannot go wrong per se, but man is the iphone great to use. It really is a no brainer to use. You probably won't even need to read the manual much at all (or, since you are a guy, probably wouldn't read it at all anyway).
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Let's see...

iPhone: Cigar App

Blackberry: N/A

Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #28
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Let's see...

iPhone: Cigar App

Blackberry: N/A

Seems pretty clear to me.
Now this may well be the best point of all!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #29
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
3g which is a Big Deal!
the curve has 3g as well. At least for Verizon
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #30
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

From a person with a windows based smart phone.

Blackberry
So apparently google maps doesnt work on blackberry?
I honestly dont have much bad to say about the BB. If you are an email monster its the best way to go. To argue otherwise is to go against what most every business has found. The phone is limited though in outside features. Basically its a rocksolid phone on this case a better network with better data system, but limited extras.

Iphone
Its funny people love their Iphones, but most dont want to talk about how they pay so much for service and extras. Most things cost extra money, movies apps etc. Thats apples business model after all. The phones price has dropped now though so thats good. You also cant use your phone as a modem for your computer by jailbreaking or risk them shutting off your account. I know multiple people who have had this happen. There are some great apps for the Iphone. The web browser is solid. The down side is its a touch screen phone and it can fail. The network is also not the best. Not bad is not good enough when it matters most. Its a cool phone with some cool apps, thats a little awkward to use and has some spotty service. Just be prepared to pay for everything.

Windows smart phone
I went this route when I looked around. I can do everything the Iphone does, movies music and I can do more. Of course I have to actually DO WORK on my phone like rip and load the movies and music and not just press a button. But then again I would rather do the leg work and keep the money in my pocket then pay Apple to spoon feed me all my stuff. The coolest thing I do for the kids is stream slingbox from my phone to a monitor in the car. Live TV in the car for the kids. Would love to see that on any other non windows phone. The Iphone is the ultimate media phone as long as you dont know that there is a lot of media options out there it cant do. At the local B&M there is a guy who works for apple and drinks the apple gravy big time. He had no reply to a few of my phones features and acually got a little angry.
Why would you pay for GPS program? I got google maps for free. I Use it all the time driving, Looking up restuarants banks everything and it didnt cost me a penny. 35.00? That app better do something pretty cool. All the apps on my phone were free come to think of it. I also pay less per month for service with unlimited data, text etc
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #31
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
From a person with a windows based smart phone.

Blackberry
So apparently google maps doesnt work on blackberry?
Works perfect for me on the curve

Quote:
Iphone
Its funny people love their Iphones, but most dont want to talk about how they pay so much for service and extras. Most things cost extra money, movies apps etc. Thats apples business model after all. The phones price has dropped now though so thats good. You also cant use your phone as a modem for your computer by jailbreaking or risk them shutting off your account. I know multiple people who have had this happen. There are some great apps for the Iphone. The web browser is solid. The down side is its a touch screen phone and it can fail. The network is also not the best. Not bad is not good enough when it matters most. Its a cool phone with some cool apps, thats a little awkward to use and has some spotty service. Just be prepared to pay for everything.
Would agree about the service being shotty, but think the iPhone/App Store deserves a bit more credit. It is by far (currently) the most superior app store and has the best/most user friendly way to obtain apps

Quote:
Windows smart phone
I went this route when I looked around. I can do everything the Iphone does, movies music and I can do more. Of course I have to actually DO WORK on my phone like rip and load the movies and music and not just press a button. But then again I would rather do the leg work and keep the money in my pocket then pay Apple to spoon feed me all my stuff. The coolest thing I do for the kids is stream slingbox from my phone to a monitor in the car. Live TV in the car for the kids. Would love to see that on any other non windows phone. The Iphone is the ultimate media phone as long as you dont know that there is a lot of media options out there it cant do. At the local B&M there is a guy who works for apple and drinks the apple gravy big time. He had no reply to a few of my phones features and acually got a little angry.
Why would you pay for GPS program? I got google maps for free. I Use it all the time driving, Looking up restuarants banks everything and it didnt cost me a penny. 35.00? That app better do something pretty cool. All the apps on my phone were free come to think of it. I also pay less per month for service with unlimited data, text etc
With the new version of windows mobile they have made some improvements, but I would not go as far to say that a WiMo phone can do everything an iPhone can. I used to use WiMo and after I switched to RIM the problems with windows became very apparent. However, I have not used the newest version, so do not have first hand experience with the changes that were made.

I think it all comes down to personal preference and what you are willing to pay. Just go to the different stores and play around with the phones and find something you like that is in your price range
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #32
Resipsa

At ahbroody^^No offense, but it's clear from your post you really no nothing about the iPhone.

As to my post about paying 35 for the copilot app, go back and read the post. As I wrote, the app functions and looks
exactly like a stand along gps unit. Google maps? Yeah the iPhone has that too, but only someone who has never seen or used a gps unit would seriously compare google maps to stand alone gps
Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #33
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

google maps works fine on my storm.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #34
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

First Name: Michael
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road

I enjoy my iphone better than any phone I've owned... I've had an older blackberry and i've had several smartphone devices.

If you have good ATT service in your area, then go iphone.. in my opinion... yes.. its expensive, but worth it on so many levels. The app store offers more variety and utilities than any other device. If you are looking for your phone to have X ability... you can find it on the app store (within reason).

One of my favorite abilities, as an IT person, is the RDP app the phone has. if there is a problem on someone's computer, no matter where i am, i can RDP into their machine and fix the issue. even my friend had a problem on their servers at their office and setup his VPN connection on my phone than RDP'd into his system. Its just that easy.

All in all it depends on what you want. if you want an all in one device that you can use for several things, go with the iphone. If you want a corporate device to just check email and do a few "extras" that are built into the phone.. go with the blackberry.

just my 2c.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a windows based smartphone, seriously considered the Blackberry storm, and went with iphone.
Verizon cripples anything cool that the Storm could do.
My iphone does everything in the world. I love it. I just bought a turn by turn gps by Navigon. Now I can get rid of my dash gps.
It took me ten devices to do everything this thing does. I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #36
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I've had a windows based smartphone, seriously considered the Blackberry storm, and went with iphone.
Verizon cripples anything cool that the Storm could do.
My iphone does everything in the world. I love it. I just bought a turn by turn gps by Navigon. Now I can get rid of my dash gps.
It took me ten devices to do everything this thing does. I couldn't be more pleased.

How is this? Is it voice? I keep waiting for the Tomtom.

I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything and spent a gruelling month looking before deciding.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #37
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Ok, obviously I'm a little biased, because of my own Mobile Stogie app, but I'm also a 25 year IT professional and currently use both Blackberry and iPhone. The blackberry is still ahead as far as enterprise email capability, and is a solid device. But as others have said, if you use an iPhone for a few days, you will be amazed at the capabilities, and I really believe you will be happier in the long run.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
How is this? Is it voice? I keep waiting for the Tomtom.

I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything and spent a gruelling month looking before deciding.
Tom Tom is available, too. It's 100 bucks, Navigon is $70.
I never cared for Tom Tom. Navigon's interface looks awesome.
I just put it on my phone, haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on how it works. I'll try it when I go get milk later.
Here it is.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #39
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Haven't checked lately, so good to know Tomtom is out.

I'll probably pony up the extra bucks for it as I am familiar with Tomtom.

Is there any monthly fee??
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #40
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Ok, obviously I'm a little biased, because of my own Mobile Stogie app, but I'm also a 25 year IT professional and currently use both Blackberry and iPhone. The blackberry is still ahead as far as enterprise email capability, and is a solid device. But as others have said, if you use an iPhone for a few days, you will be amazed at the capabilities, and I really believe you will be happier in the long run.
I would agree. Unfortunately for me, being only on ATT currently is enough to keep my away. and I am a HUGE Apple product user..... they just need to end the damn exclusivity!!! lol