Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Grow Your Own article

I know a couple inmates here are tobacco growers (both novice and professional) or in the business. Thought I'd share this interesting AP article that ran in our local paper yesterday:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/bu...213403/287585/

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Grow Your Own article

Nice article Gerard!!!

Tzaddi has been a great mentor! He is a very patient person... I don't have time to mess with the process like he does!!!

I think it is way too labor intensive to do it to save money!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

The article is almost interesting, but it would have been much more so if the writer actually knew anything about it. I personally would have like to hear more from the home growers, and what their results were. I'd also like to know if there are torcedores regionally that will roll home-grown tobacco into nice, professional sticks.

The article mentions that Obama closed the Hav-a-Tampa plant. This would probably be a good way to create your own job if you lost it there.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

God I'd love to try growing my own plants, but Ive killed every plant known to man inclueding most recently (drum roll please....) a cactus of some sort. Mind you I think it froze to death but still I dot think I could justify the investment in my own failure lol
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

Very interesting. Even more so that the guy in the pic is from my hometown.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
tzaddi

The first hurdle is getting to the seedling stage but the biggest hurdle takes place after picking the leaf… the drying, curing, aging and even fermenting.

According to my contact list I have mailed or given out seeds (free) to over 50 BOTLs in the past few years.

My seed stock and varieties grows a bit each year along with my tobacco chests. Some of my homegrown tobacco is nearly 4 years old. Just like cigars loose leaf tobacco requires a modicum of vigilant care.

I encourage all who have a spark of passion to give it a try, if only to see the beauty of the pink blossom.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I am definitely growing some next year. I will start with maybe ten plants of so and add to the crop each year that I do it.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Addiction

yeah as long as they are selling it I won't be growing it.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have about 30 plants out there from Richard's seed. (Thanks, brother!!!)
I had read a book from the 30's a lot of years ago and talked myself out of growing tobacco because it made it sound so difficult.
It's as easy as growing lettuce.
I started my plants way too early and had to hold them back. Then they had a long recovery.
The bugs on them are relentless, some sort of aphids. Sevin won't touch them, they laugh at it.

Next year, I'll start later, use insecticide soap, and watch the plants do 1000% better. This year was my first shot, and I didn't expect anything but to enjoy the flowers. What a show it's been.
I will save seed from this year's best plants, use Richard's 3 different seeds he sent me, cross pollinate, reselect next year, and keep selecting for hardiness, bug resistance, and size.
I want to grow HUGE plants with HUGE flowers.
It'll take a few years, but it's what I like to do. 10 years from now I'll have ten foot tall plants with 6 inch flowers, if all goes well.
At the very least, I'll have a plant that grows well here.

I've not gotten bit by the curing bug yet, so I'll likely just select and save seed for the next few years, but down the road I'm sure I'll try my hand at curing and rolling.
As a border plant for the garden, they just cannot be beat. They'd be an excellent hedgerow, or can be used as a shade plant for other plants in the garden, like lettuce and spinach that doesn't like a lot of sun.
I can go on forever, but mostly I'd like to thank Richard for introducing me to an incredibly cool plant that I've long (20+ years) wanted to grow.
Thanks Richard!!!