Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #21
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The newspaper today

Never had a route, but I still have the paper delivered every day. It's just something I do. I really hate going to a newspaper website.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
BMTA

Delivered several newspaper routes growing up and one in college, but they are doomed I have several friends who used newspapers to advertise, not anymore they say they get a better response with craigslist.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

My local just discontinued the Monday edition and started with a Monday advance edition that comes with the Sunday paper.
All in a effort to stay viable.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #24
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

I had a paper route for about 5 years in high school and my first couple years of college. The hours stink, but the pay was nice. Working 365 days a year builds a good work ethic. I always ended up being the driver since I had to be sober enough to go to work at 4:30. My parents actually kept my route when I left for school. They would each do three days and both go on Sunday.

It was always interesting during hurricane season
Old 05-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

When I was a kid (Was I ever really a kid??) I worked at a "Service Station"
We pumped the gas, Cleaned the windows, Checked the oil and the tire pressure, brought them thier change and said "Thank you Sir/Ma'am have a nice day and come back again." ...No matter how foul the weather was.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Like some of you, I had a route w/ our local. First couple of years, it was come home from school, fold the papers, stuff the bike saddle, and hit the road. Thanksgiving and Xmas, it took 2 trips. I kept it into my senior year in high school, and got to drive the route. Ended up giving the route to my mom, who picked up another one for extra cash. I enjoyed it most of the time, and liked most of my customers. Thing I hated about it was collections. Most folks were good, and I had some good tippers, especially with holidays, but there were several route customers who would not answer the door when I rang, and I could tell they were there. One of the worst was a guy who was an anchorman on the local television news. Really bad thing was, the station was owned by the paper.

Like some of you now, I just don't read it much anymore; in fact, we just let our sub go. Our local doesn't do a Sunday-only sub, and I get my news off the 'net. I'm probably going to go internet sub with them though. I do hate to see the trend, for those who are in the business, as it means job losses, and I've been on the wrong end of that myself. But, it's a natural progression, it seems, with the advent of the internet. I imagine there were similar responses when the press became widely available to make newspapers and journals, and town criers found themselves out of work.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote