Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979

Here is illinoishoosier's review corner volume 2.

Unfortunately, I have been fighting a bit of a head cold, and I think it muted the flavors tonight.

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979
5x50
Wrapper: corojo
Filler: Nicaragua

Appearance is very nice, small veins. Foot has small tear, should not be a problem. Pre light aroma is very nice earthy spice. Lit easily. Initial aroma is a sweet, nutty spice. Burn has started a little uneven and there is a decent amount of smoke.

5 minutes in and the burn has evened up. The ash is light gray and flaky, just a nice leather flavor here.

10 minutes in and the wrapper has started to split. I have had this problem before with this stick. Thought they may be overhumidified, but this one has been in a 60% box for almost a week. The ash is REAL flaky at this point, already had to tap it off. Flavor is still leather, with a little spice coming in.

20 minutes and the flavor is a nice mellow leathery spice. Not as much smoke at this point. The aroma while resting in my mouth while I type my notes is a sweet spice...licorice!

Hit the 30 mminute mark and the flaky ash is really annoying at this point. Burn has also started to tunnel. Glavor is still good, just got a couple of puffs of cocoa.

Ten minutes later and no flavor change. Ash is flaking everywhere. With each move and draw, I end up with a nice ash shower all over my keyboard and shirt.

50 minutes and still consistent leathery spice flavor. I think the head congestion is definitely affecting the flavor of this stick. The amount of smoke has picked up though!

And I let it die here after an hour...

Flavors were very muted, definitely from the head cold. Had been resting a year and my experience has been that these get nice and mellow after that time.

Because of the flaky ash and burn issues, this one gets a 3 illinoishoosiers out of 5
Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979

Nice review!

You definitely need to smoke another one of these when you have your taste buds back in full force. These are one of my favorite cigars.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

I've smoked quite a few of these and they are definitley at the top of my smoke list.

Ugh, I hate head colds.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

I enjoyed this DPG. It was not complex and stayed pretty much the same throughout the burn until the nub where it got a bit more spicy. Overall I didn't have nearly as bad of ash issues as posted in the review, but I wouldn't say it had a great ash either. Overall this would be a smoke I would definately have again.

Thanks for the review!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Def smoke another one, I have had a few split so your not alone on that aspect. Tremendous smokes, I like the 77 better, but I am leaning towards the smaller RG lately!
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

These are tasty indeed. I too recommend another visit after the cold leaves.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Had one yesterday and it was
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Wow, three year's back from the dead!

I have smoked many more of these and can say they definitely mellow out after a couple of years. Not as peppery or harsh as they are fresh. My stash of these now has almost 4 years on them and they are tasty.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The DPG 1979 is still one of my favorites and as you pointed out they age very well.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
RCS44
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryne
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
RCS44 is on a distinguished road

Nice review, Don Pepin makes great cigars!
RCS44 is offline   Reply With Quote