Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Today I called the cops...

On the cops... just because I could.
Unmarked car out on the street in 3 or 4 different parking spots, no paint or decals on it anywhere, dark blue crown vic. Guy in a Gophers sweatshirt in the drivers seat tapping into a puter and on his phone, cam on the dash...(looked like a standard unmarked, I guess)

I wandered over to say "Hi" because he was directly in front of my house.
"What are you doing, checking speeds?" (there is a pretty high percentage of speeding on my street, I thought they might be studying it)
"Nope, something else."
And that is all he said. Which annoyed me. I am not usually a twitchy Gladys Kravitz, but...
So I called the non-emergency number, just to see if I asked what the hell he was doing (with the plate #) if they would tell me. She gave me to a dispatcher, I described an unmarked dark blue, no paint, no decals, no unit number, no gov plates car parked with a guy tapping into a computer for hours on my street and he just said "okay, we'll check it out." Of course I didn't mention the antenna pucks or anything.
Truly, curiosity killed the cat, and I thought it quite odd. The wife got an "administrative traffic citation" (read "revenue generation") the other day, and first thought is that he was doing this... He wasn't, and didn't stop any cars. Not that a dude driving a police car wearing a sports themed sweatshirt would.
Just odd.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Today I called the cops...

Normally, I'd be on your side and say that he was probably up to no good. But you said he was wearing a Gophers sweatshirt, so he must be a nice guy. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt...
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I experienced something similar quite a few years ago. I was walking down the street late one night and noticed a suspicious car (Ford Taurus) parked with the interior light on. I walked past and kept going, when I noticed that they pulled away from the curb and began tailing me for a bit. I kept walking along casually and finally they turned around and left. They weren't delivering newspapers or anything. Weird.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Might not have been a cop, might have been a fed. You gotta stop hiring those illegals to mow your lawn Pete.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

They couldn't reach the frozen lawn under the 2 1/2 feet of snow above it right now, AND I am one of those guys that likes doing it himself... It's a control issue. Still could have been a fed, but he didn't appear to be in contact with the black helicopters hovering behind the invisible dirigibles.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Good chance it was a PI.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

reminds me of that pastor that got shot by an undercover police officer. the pastor was having trouble with vandalism at his church. He then proceeds to approach the vehicle in the middle of the night that was parked in the church parking lot. seems the pastor was holding his hand gun and well it didnt end well. turns out the cop was doing a routine patrol of the neighbor hood due to the vandalism.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Never trust a Gopher any farther than you can catapult one..
Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Good on you...I would have called from a pay phone and said I saw a suspicious persons peeping through my neighbors window then went back to the car to document what he saw...then I'd sit back and watch the fun stuff begin...just sayin
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
"Nope, something else."
And that is all he said. Which annoyed me.
Maybe he was from US Border and Customs Patrol Pete

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Maybe he was part of the investigation chronicling the weird humming noises in your immediate area reported via internet forums

awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I wonder if my equipment is showing up with their equipment. Might be time to move on. Your life is quite ordinary anyway with the exception of the bunny slippers you wear every day,

MCS
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I wonder if my equipment is showing up with their equipment. Might be time to move on. Your life is quite ordinary anyway with the exception of the bunny slippers you wear every day,

MCS
Those are actual bunnies.

Wait, maybe it's the ASPCA.....
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post

aww man you had to go and bust on my guys lol. We do have plain clothes units though. And were actually called US Border Patrol. We dont like being associated with customs people.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Did he leave or otherwise change any behavior after your call?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Maybe he was cruising for open wireless networks and stealing information from people?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Maybe he was on a stakeout or investigation and didn't feel the need to compromise it by detailing to you what he was doing?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Maybe he was on a stakeout or investigation and didn't feel the need to compromise it by detailing to you what he was doing?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #20
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
Neens will become famous soon enough

I did this to a P.I once. He was out infront of my business taking pictures of the house/people one door down as well as my front area. The houses are very close and he couldn't help but get the front of my place in his shots. I went out there and asked him what was going on and he gave me an attitude. He was very rude, told me it was none of my business and that I should go back inside and leave him alone. So I called the routine calls number of the local police department, told them there was a strange man out front sitting in his car, take pictures of the front of my business and I was afraid that he might try to rob us. They sent down 3 cars which block him front, back and side and questioned him for a good 15 minutes before coming in and telling us that he was a P.I. on an insurance fraud cause. Everything could have been avoided if he was just a little nicer.
Neens is offline   Reply With Quote