Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation
Default Davidoff Puro d'Oro Sublimes

Great draw... lit it up and the first blast was, of course, classic NC Davidoff grassiness. It's not a bad thing, and it's nowhere near as potent as that of fresh Mill Blends.

There's something behind it, but I can't be certain of what because of the grassiness... I'd say there's a hint of cocoa in there, though, with some degree of certainty…

...Ohhh... about 1/2 inch in, the grassiness has faded to the background giving way to a smooooooooooooth creaminess. As an aside, this is the perfect size for me.

Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I just finished an RA Lusitaino (Portugal RE), so this is not my first cigar of the day.

A hard pull brings about flavors of cracker, some undefined spice and that undertone of grassiness (which, in this blend, is quite nice).

A slow, small pull shows very little... this cigar's tempo is certainly not the slow, small draw.

Into the second third, the creamy grassiness persists and, again, is still quite nice. Long pulls bring forth that cocoa and a flavor I can't quite pinpoint. Whatever it is, it's fantastic. I REALLY enjoy this cigar so far.

Cigars like this make me think I have a very limited palate. Damn... this is a good cigar. If they were more affordable, there would be boxes upon boxes in my collection.

The tempo of the cigar at the final third seems to have become a bit slower as a huge draw is spicier than it should be. The slow pull brings about the same flavors as the long one at this point... along with a strong spiciness.

The slower the pull, the less spice comes out

Man... this is a good cigar. Have I said that before? I think I might have. Oh well... it's a damned good cigar. I really wish I made this my first cigar of the day at this point.

I'm at the end of this cigar and the spice is starting to kinda burn my lips, but this cigar isn't being put down yet. It's nubworthy, and will be treated as such.

Some side notes, the draw and burn have been flawless (as expected). Flavors are a bit muddled and I'd be willing to bet that in time, these are going to be magnificent. I wish I could speed up time and try these in 5 years.

I'd give this a 9.2 on my random, useless, extraordinarily unscientific scale. This thing was great until the very end.

Now, to see how well I can stay out of them. I fear this may be one hell of an uphill battle. Thanks, James!

Off to get some ice for my scorched fingertips...