Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough
Default Financial Crisis belt tightening tips

So, with the economy everyone seems to be in, what have you done to tighten the belt?

Personally I lost a sales job I had in March of 09. Since then I have dedicated myself to going to school full time at Cal Poly Pomona. I am six months away (knock on wood) from graduating with an International Business Management/Marketing dual major degree. These last three months have been extremely hard for me as I lost seven thousand dollars in aid for the upcoming year due to a Financial Aid screwup. They fixed it but by that time all the money had been given out. I will have to take some loans to make ends meet.

Since I discovered this I have done the following:

1. I have quit buying cigars. I am smoking stuff that I would have sold or given away and or doesn't appeal to me as much. Sure they're yard-gars, and I would rather be smoking something else, but meh! Needs always proceed wants. I am now much more careful about my cigar buying habits. I buy almost no new cigars.

2. I have cut my Netflix subscription from six disks at a time to three. This has taken my bill from sixty dollars a month to 35.

3. I have quit eating out almost entirely. I now make my own lunches for an 80% savings. A 150-200 dollar a month bill has shrunk to 25-50 a month.

4. I have suspended Direct TV. I don't miss it.

5. I do a lot more of my grocery shopping at Costco. I have a Costco business credit card in which I get 1% cash back, or 4% on gasoline. I have an executive card which pays an ADDITIONAL 2% at the end of the year. I can buy in bulk and plan my meals weeks ahead.

6. I have cut my "discretionary" spending by around 90%. I ask myself "do I REALLY need this?" I wait two weeks before I pull the trigger.

With these tips I have cut my total spending by almost 50%. I am suffering a bit, but I simply don't have a choice.

The one area I have not reduced much spending in is my local cigar shop. Because of familial issues involved in taking care of a mentally and physically ill mother (mainly stress and relationship issues) I drive around 40 miles round trip each day to go spend time at my shop. This is the closest shop to me.

This, I am thinking is going to be the next thing drastically reduced, meaning this is probably the next thing to go, or be significantly reduced.

I have done calculations and I can save around 250 dollars a month in gasoline and cigar costs if I just stay at home or go to the library instead.

So, what have you done?

Last edited by Drazzil; 09-02-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: a question at the end
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote