Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Ashton Heritage, Puro Sol - An Old Friend

Way back when (say, maybe 5-6 years ago), that bad old noobie killer (dare I mention it's name??) kept offering these sticks, and I kept winning bids at really good prices compared to B & M prices. As a result, I purchased a decent amount in five count lots. These sticks were one of my favorites, had a medium body that sat well with a novice smoker, while still having lots of flavor.

As I rotate my boxes in their coolers, check for mold, beetles, humidity and such, I will pull a stick out here and there and stick it in my humidor for more immediate considerations. I stumbled on a (double?) corona size Puro Sol, hidden beneath a layer of some other sticks, and carried it outside as one of three potential smokes. I decided to light the Ashton up (over a Padron 2000 with some age, and a short, dark maduro AF that I have no idea what it was, except that it wasn't an anejo).

The cap clipped off neat and quickly, and the lighter made fast work of the foot. A application of pressure on the sides showed a filler that wasn't overly full or empty, and there was no crackling tobacco, so I knew the stick's internal humidity was good for smoking. I quickly remembered why I liked this cigar! After the initial light, I never touched the lighter again. Nice smooth flavor that was present throughout the entire stick. And, this cigar put out enough smoke to make an American Standard locomotive jealous! Man, I love a good tasting cigar that puts out large volumes of smoke, and doesn't require turning my lungs inside out to draw it down!

I don't remember placing the cigar in my humidor, so it was probably there for the last 6 months or more, hiding. Now I need to go rummage the cooler with most of my AF sticks, and see how many I have left, and pull a few out for the near-term!

(Smoked the Fuente next. Same problem I often suffer when smoking really dark maduros with thick wrappers during humid times. I think I went thru half a lighter burning down badly uneven sides. But, darn good flavor and smoke quantities. Padron went back in the box for a later date.)