Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default What kind of paint to use on an Otterbox style humi?

So I've been using one of these guys as my travel humi for some time now. You can either hold 6 foam trays plus room for bovida, cutter, lighter, and glue.... or you can stuff it with about 14 five-finger bags.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/RM2432/

There's just one nagging problem that's been driving me nuts. As you can see from the picture, they were built for interlocking and stacking, and they do that really really well... but those damned lines make it impossible to put most stickers on it! (and we all love our stickers around here).

So finally with Shack coming up, I figured I should do something about it. Using a sawzall and a Utility knife, I cut and scrapped off all of the plastic ridges, and of course gouging the hell out of the plastic in the process. On to step 2:

MMD Squadron Products Green Modeling Putty: http://mfpilot.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=112
I used the green putty to fill in all the gouges and cracks. Once it dries later today, I'll sand it down to a semi smooth finish.

End result before sanding:

This is where my hillbilly engineering comes to an end! I haven't a clue what kind of paint and surface prep I should use. Does it need a clear primer first? Spray? Brush? I'm clueless!

MOST of the surface area will eventually be occupied by stickers. But in the mean time, I don't want the green putty to wear off on its own without getting sealed up.... and it seems to make sense to seal it with a flat black paint of some kind.

Although the case itself unfortunately is not pure black and has some gray color texture to it. But certainly some kinf of black would look better than green! OR HELL, I could get really adventurous and two-tone it, paiting the whole lid win a dark red or dark blue or something. Maybe a dark CA inspired reddish brown

Either way, I need help with to proceed from here!