Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
dentonparrots

Default Tatuaje "Red band" Robusto cigar

This is my first ever review, so go easy on me!
I was kindly sent this cigar as part of a trade, and although I should have rested it for the optimum smoke I lit the thing within hours of arriving!
The unlit smell was lovely, very full. The appearance was impressive with a pretty smooth, dark coloured wrapper. Although the band was a little bland, we don't smoke them!

I've messed about with standard cutters and punches too, but I've came to the conclusion that punches are neater but they tend to not allow as good a draw. This is a single punched hole

But to get the best of both worlds I multi-punch the larger gauge cigars, that way I get nice neat edges but the ultimate draw..and I keep the shoulders on too! Notice the larger "nibbled" hole

Anway, on with the review. Pre-light draw was lovely, no plugged cigar here (phew, there's nothing worse).
Upon initial lighting I got the usual spices but also an earthy, dark berry type of flavour coming through.

After the first inch or so burned away the harshness dropped away, giving way to a much smoother, milder but still strong flavour.

Coffee flavours started coming through with a definite rich rum taste, and again the berry (imagine a dark forrest gataeu) with a nice even burn so far. Strong but still creamy consistent flavours coat your mouth heavily with this cigar, very full flavoured. I had the odd hint of a mint undertone coming through but it kept going away. The midway section was definitely the sweet spot for this cigar, like most Robusto's I find.

After this real enjoyment the spices started coming back in droves about 0.5" in the bottom 3rd, and really overpowered any other flavours that might have been there. The nicotine was VERY strong at this point. I do however generally find NC's to get much harsher in the bottom half compared to the CC's I've tried.

Although I wanted to get as far down as I could to give a full review, it went out by itself so at this point I decided to let it die gracefully...which was a relief if I'm honest as it was far too spicy and strong for me at this point.

Overall a very impressive NC, and I'm sure a while resting in my humi would have mellowed it out a lot and I'm certain this will become a very good cigar over time. I'd say 8.8 out of 10 if you are into stronger, fuller flavoured cigars. although a bit of age on them will make them much better I think.