Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Drink your good wine, smoke your good cigars

I was listening to the radio in the car yesterday, the show "A Splendid Table" was on NPR. One of the segments was an essay written by a guy who learned the hard way. I know I am guilty of this, and thought perhaps some of you are too. Hence, I'm posting this to encourage you to drink your good wine (scotch, bourbon, etc) and smoke your good cigars.

On his wedding day he and his bride were given a bottle of Chateau Margaux 1978 burgundy. They decided to save the special wine for a special occasion. Various "normal" life events transpired in their lives; the birth of a couple of children, various wedding anniversaries, the publication of his first book, etc. None of these seemed worthy of the bottle of 1978 Margaux. The bottle awaited the "right" occasion.

Fast forward 20 years, and the author's bride developed brain cancer, and died within an half-year.

At some point following her untimely death, he happened upon the bottle of 1978 Margaux. It was never to be drank upon a special occasion in their lives together.

The author, trying to bring some value to the unfortunate situation, passed the bottle on to another young couple, with instructions to drink the wine. Unfortunately, the young couple discovered that the bottle had soured, and the wine was now undrinkable.

So, for what it's worth from a relative stranger, be sure to find things to celebrate in your life. Is it an "unimportant" wedding anniversary? Celebrate. Kid got strong grades in school? Celebrate. Boss gave you an "attaboy" at work? Celebrate. You never know when life is going to take a bad turn. Break out the good wine, old scotch, and special cigars.

As such, for absolutely no reason other than that it's a beautiful evening, I'm going to smoke a WOAM I've been saving for a special occasion, and think of the many blessings I have in my life.