Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Azaelius
The Right Hand of Doom.

First Name: Ian
Trading: (1)
Azaelius is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Curse cigar abstinence! CURSE IT!

Okay so here's the story:

Last week on Thursday I had a nice time hanging out with my GF and my friend Steven. We had planned the day around watching a movie, playing chess/video games, and him and I each trying one of my Gurkha cigars that came in a sampler I got with my Herf-a-Dor from CI.

Out of the five, the two we smoked were the Symphony Robusto for him and the Legend Robusto for me. The darker wrapper was quite appealing as well as the aroma. So, we lit up and played chess while sipping cherry pepsi. Not the best companion drink, but the only decent choice we had.

Anyway, all was well for around 45 minutes to an hour. He was enjoying his cigar perfectly well, as was I.... I thought. A little past the 2/3 mark, I started feeling a bit dizzy. I had just taken off my glasses, so I thought that might have been it (they do that) so I just kept puffing. Finally, a good twenty minutes after he had finished his Symphony, I finished my Legend.

He was feeling great! He also weighs 40 lbs. more than I do. I felt like death had punched me in the gut. Only then did I realize I hadn't eaten anything before smoking and I instantly regretted it.

So, long story long, I took in some sugar, some water, and I laid down to rest near my very worried GF.

However.... while resting, I said something along the lines of "I am not smoking anything for the next week and a half" and my GF said "you promise?" and apparently, I said yes.

So now I have 3 perfectly good (?) Gurkha cigars waiting for me to smoke for the last week, CALLING TO ME, that I can't smoke at all until this Sunday when we come home.

I guess I could probably convince her to let me start again... it has been a whole week so far, but I kinda want to hold to it... as a test of will and commitment and such. Also, impressing the lady is always a good thing.

But man, I REALLY want to have a cigar! and it doesn't help that I just watched Hellboy 1 and 2 last night. Hellboy smokes a LOT of cigars. A LOT. As does another character.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED SIDENOTE: Ron Perlman, the actor portraying the titular character in both Hellboy 1 and 2, is a heavy cigar smoker, his current favorite being the Joya de Nicaragua Antaņo 1970. Not sure what size.

ANNNNYYYWAAAY - now that my story is told, I have this question: have any of you ever sworn off cigar or pipe smoking at the request of a loved one or for any reason at all? If so, what were your experiences?