Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default What would you do?

Ok, This may run a little long but the decision has been stressing me out the last couple of days and I am just curious to what others would do.
So I got laid off at the end of November beginning of December which at the time seemed like a disaster but not as stressful as it could have been since I am a graphic designer and had been doing freelance work most of my career but really stepped my game up the year prior to being layed off as the place I worked at did work mainly in the race industry and my boss was slowly but surely burning all his bridges in the industry which it doesn't take long for word to spread as Nascar is literally like the girls locker room at your local high school minus the chicks. Luckily, I had at least a years salary put away in savings by the time it happened but we still needed to tighten the belt a bit.
So during this time I really stepped up my freelance work while looking for full time employment and was offered a few jobs but the pay was disgraceful so I said thanks but no thanks as I didn't want to start working someplace for peanuts and end up quitting a few weeks later anyway because I was either offered a new job or just got fed up of being over worked for pay that I made when I first graduated college. So I kept pushing the freelance thing and it has gotten to the point where it has almost become a full time job. My wife is happy because ever since we met she knew it was always my goal to be able to eventually work from home and be my own boss and as I grew open up my own shop once I had enough clientele to justify the investment. Well, since being layed off my wife has seen me get busier and busier and has been really happy to have me home as she said I am getting to my goal and I seem a lot less stressed since I am no longer working 14+ hours including the commute and than coming home and working an additional 4 or more hours just to do it over again the next day.
So now the dilemma, I was brought in a couple weeks ago for an interview with a place that I applied over a month ago and they just had me back at the beginning of the week and offered me a job. The pay is not the best but it is not horrible either so now I have been stressed with the decision of whether to go for the guaranteed money and possibly have to give up and lose some of my freelance work or do I say no and continue on my current path which in this economy is very risky especially since my wife is a teacher and even her job is not secure nowadays with the talks of cuts being made at the end of the school year. She was layed off last year as she had just switched school districts and was low man on the totem pole but her school liked her so much they fought for her and brought her back but because of last years situation the district made the school give her an interim contract instead of a regular contract which means they can cut her if they have to easily. Her principle did tell her a couple months ago not to look for another job because her job would be secure but that was before they decided to cut the budget again for next year last month. So now I am going back and forth and am torn as my heart wants to continue working toward my goal that I have been working toward for the last 10 years but the practical part of me says take the full time gig. So I guess I am wondering what others would do if in my situation as I am curious to hear others insight. I need to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon so I have been stressed all day granted I guess it's a good kind of stress. Plus it probably doesn't help that I had to pay the tax bill today. Ughhh.