Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
SmokingPoker

Default Connecticut by Rocky Patel

My first review for Cigar Asylum so here goes...

The weather here in my part of Florida is finally getting nice and I have been looking forward all day to a nice smoke and a couple of brews with the girlfriend before dinner. She usually likes a few puffs as well so I thought the Rocky Patel Connecticut from my 12 stick sample flight that arrived today would do the trick. Paired beverage was was Yuengling Black and Tan pre-dinner.
Appearance and Presentation:
A rather underwhelming band, but a very nice feel and firmness to the stick overall. The wrapper had some slight veins and some frog eyes, but nothing major that took away from the overall aesthetics. Smooth, dry texture. The fragrance across the length of the stick was pleasant and slight sweet.
Properties:
The clean, low resistance cut was accomplished with my rather utilitarian (cheap ) double guillotine cutter. Initial light and draw was easy and even. The ash was grey in color and had a nice firmness which surrendered without any struggle later in the smoke (ashing yourself isn't an issue). The smoke was VERY EFFORTLESS and even throughout. The draw stayed velvety smooth over the entire length.
Taste:
Mild, even and again velvety smooth throughout. The only pepper notes hit were at initial draw. As the stick hit its pace, notes of fresh coffee sauntered in and out of the overall creamy consistency which would turn to a more buttery consistency. Some slight (ever so slight) caramel hints could be detected. By the finish (nubbed it for sure) some rather pleasant wood accents became noticeable which added to the overall pleasant buttery finish.
Comments:
If you're looking for a nice easy smoke that requires no maintenance and little to no smoke, this is it. I savored this smoke and shared with the lady for over an hour and three brews with only having to relight once (going into last third) and no touch ups. Complimented the beverage nicely and actually brought out some nice sweet grain hints within the beer. Mild lovers should go gaga for this, but I feel there is something here for those with more hearty palates as well. Take this baby down with a stout or a robust ale and let the world just pass you by.

Side-note:
The lady loved every puff and I thought the added bonus of sharing the smoke was fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rocky Patel Connecticut 005.jpg (105.2 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg Rocky Patel Connecticut 004.jpg (93.0 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg Rocky Patel Connecticut 002.jpg (108.6 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg Rocky Patel Connecticut 007.jpg (108.8 KB, 430 views)