Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default La Herencia Cubana oscuro fuerte robusto

Lately I've smoked a few AJ Fernandez blends and so far I liked all of them, so I had high expectations when one of my smoking buddies came by my house with a box of La Herencia Cubana oscuro fuerte robusto. And a nice looking box I might add, simple but not an ordinary cab.

The 5.5 x 54 robusto has a pretty dark broadleaf maduro wrapper grown in Pennsylvania has hardly no veins. A Nicaraguan binder and filler from Esteli, Condega and Jalapa in Nicaragua finish this cigar. The double band is quite stylish, yet not overdone. The construction feels good and the cigar produces a nice barnyard aroma. The predraw is fine and leaves a peppery raisin flavor in my mouth.

I can taste a strong coffee flavor, more espresso then normal coffee and maybe a little too strong for my taste, it's borderline. After a centimeter I can taste a little bit of chocolate as an aftertaste. The texture of the flavors are dry.

I can also taste a wooden flavor through the espresso and slowly the espresso fades away a bit so that the wood becomes the dominant flavor.

Halfway there is a nice balance between the coffee and the wood flavors and the aftertaste is chocolate again, but really mild. At 2/3rd some herbal flavors join the coffee and wood, and slowly those herbs grow to become the dominant flavor, perfectly supported by the coffee and wood.

The draw is fine, just like the burn. The amount of medium thick smoke is insane, it is a good thing that my smoke alarm isn't working, or the fire department would have been paying a visit. The salt and pepper colored ash is firm but crooked. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored, the flavors are very bold and "in your face". I had a little nicotine buzz going on.

Would I buy this cigar again? Oh yeah!! Another fine AJ Fernandez blend and available for $3 a piece.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10