Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979

Here is illinoishoosier's review corner volume 2.

Unfortunately, I have been fighting a bit of a head cold, and I think it muted the flavors tonight.

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979
5x50
Wrapper: corojo
Filler: Nicaragua

Appearance is very nice, small veins. Foot has small tear, should not be a problem. Pre light aroma is very nice earthy spice. Lit easily. Initial aroma is a sweet, nutty spice. Burn has started a little uneven and there is a decent amount of smoke.

5 minutes in and the burn has evened up. The ash is light gray and flaky, just a nice leather flavor here.

10 minutes in and the wrapper has started to split. I have had this problem before with this stick. Thought they may be overhumidified, but this one has been in a 60% box for almost a week. The ash is REAL flaky at this point, already had to tap it off. Flavor is still leather, with a little spice coming in.

20 minutes and the flavor is a nice mellow leathery spice. Not as much smoke at this point. The aroma while resting in my mouth while I type my notes is a sweet spice...licorice!

Hit the 30 mminute mark and the flaky ash is really annoying at this point. Burn has also started to tunnel. Glavor is still good, just got a couple of puffs of cocoa.

Ten minutes later and no flavor change. Ash is flaking everywhere. With each move and draw, I end up with a nice ash shower all over my keyboard and shirt.

50 minutes and still consistent leathery spice flavor. I think the head congestion is definitely affecting the flavor of this stick. The amount of smoke has picked up though!

And I let it die here after an hour...

Flavors were very muted, definitely from the head cold. Had been resting a year and my experience has been that these get nice and mellow after that time.

Because of the flaky ash and burn issues, this one gets a 3 illinoishoosiers out of 5