Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Opus X belicoso XXX

I got this Opus X belicoso XXX with a date sticker of May 2006 in a trade and decided to light this well praised 4 5/8 x 49 Dominican puro tonight. The cigar is packed in cellophane and has a red ribbon on the foot. The wrapper looks nice dark and oily but has some big veins. Usually a vein isn’t anything to mock about, but when you spend top dollar for a cigar you can expect something that looks a bit better.

The aroma of the cigar makes me think of chocolate, pepper and something sweet. It is a unique aroma and I can even smell some cinnamon. The construction feels good and the fine predraw gives off a peppery flavor.

The first flavor is wood, I don’t know what kind of wood, but it is a specific flavor which I only tasted in Opus X and Liga Privada #9 before. I also taste some sweetness and mild chocolate. The flavors are rich, deep and complex but not overpowering. Halfway some pepper accompanies the wood, the sweetness and the chocolate, although the sweetness is disappearing slowly. At the same time the chocolate and wood are getting stronger. The finale is that typical Opus X wood again.

This cigar produces a lot of pretty smoke. I had terrible burn issues with this cigar, I had to light it over and over again which made the cigar bitter at some points. If it wasn’t for a review I would have tossed the cigar due to the burn issues, I never had a cigar burn worse than this top shelve stick. The ash is dark and frayed. Due to the flash the ash looks light colored on the picture, but in real life it was dark, ugly and frayed.

Would I buy this cigar again? I still have a few and they are very nice without the burn issues, but are they worth the money? Don’t think so

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 4 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 8 / 10