Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Ic3man08

Default Beads/ Humidor Dilemma

Hey everyone, hope everyone is doing well. I am pretty new to the world of cigars, so I have been doing my research and basically learning as i go. Recently, i purchased a 40 cigar humidor from Cuban Crafters (very basic I guess for a beginner) and seasoned it according to the forum. I wasn't sure which technique to use, so I pretty much started by wiping it down with a cloth and distilled water. I calibrated the included hygrometer using the salt test and left it in the ziplock overnight, then set it to 75 (since it is adjustable). Then I placed a bowl of heated distilled water (on top of a plastic bag) and a shot glass of distilled water in the humidor as well. I closed it and left it in there for 7 days, checking it daily to make sure the water didn't spill and to check the progress. Well on 7th day, i took out the bowl and the shotglass and put in some "orleans" humidifier beads (http://www.orleansgroup.com/product_...gle%20jars.htm) and threw in my stogies. Well, I have been checking the humidor to see if it has maintained humidity, but it seems as if the hygrometer is lowering. At first, it was at 70, then began lowering to mid-60's, and today, it was at 60. What can this be? Are the beads any good or did I throw away $13? Also, how can I know if I am getting an accurate reading? I am planning on buying a digital hygrometer, maybe one I dont have to calibrate. Any suggestions? What are my options here? Sorry for the long post, just stressing :/. Thanks in advance.