Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Cyanide

Default Help! Where should I hike in late October?

Well, I know this is a bizarre place to ask this, but hey....in the end I trust and respect the opinions of the people in this community more than I do in any name-less face-less outdoorsman forums I have come across. I "connect" more with you people here than anywhere else.

So, I throw this out to all my BOTLs/SOTLs. Direct me where I should look to put together a hike for late October.

A little about me. Strong, fit, ambitious hiker in my 30s, don't mind doing solo hiking, but will also readily partake in group hiking. Have adopted my own version of semi-ultra-light (which really means not grossly overweighted). I come from Edmonton Alberta Canada, where the summer hiking usually means walking in 20C weather (70F) and expectation of rain briefly every day but largely a fairly arid area. I like to put in one lengthy hike a year (or more if I can manage it, but work, kids, family etc....), where I go for about 15-20km/day for about 5 days. I like to do that in rugged terrain and don't consider it a good hiking day unless I pass through at least one pass. I like to scramble, but I am not a rock climber. Seeing the terrain around me for miles beats being oppressed by dense forest.

This year, though, my hiking opportunity has not appeared until late October. By that time the mountains are typically already snowing and the nights are below freezing. I could do my hike here locally, but its not really my idea of a sublime experience. This year I really need that sublime experience.

So, I am thinking that the Grand Canyon might do it for me. But, I have never been to the region. So, this is likely a naive idea at best.

What suggestions do people have for regions I should consider, or better yet, trails/loops within those regions? I would prefer weather that was likely 50-75F with minimal temperatures at night hopefully above the 40s. I really don't want to step into an area for the first time during the rainy season, but of course I would anticipate torrential rain. My airmiles would probably prefer something in the Southwest or even Northwest (Washington state?) if the weather was right.

I guess I would also need to explore the unique safety considerations for each area but that is a later consideration.

Honestly, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Help me salvage this hiking season and my sanity before I am beset by a Canadian Winter having not done any good hike this year.

Cheers to you all

John