Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Building a Deck

I'm building a deck on the back of the house. My yard is very small, and my wife wants a "contained" area for my handicapped son to play. We're making this 12' x 16', not huge, but enough for him to play. I'm also making the handrails taller than normal.

I started about 3 weeks ago by renting an auger and making the holes for the footers. Had a buddy help me, because those augers are pretty powerful. Made 4' deep holes. In the evenings following I poured the cement. Last weekend a couple friends came over to help me put up the posts and beams. As you can see we got a few joists in place to hold everything in place. I'm using under-deck brackets for the floor decking, so over the past couple of nights I've cut the rest of the joists and mounted the brackets. Today I will put up the rest of the joists. Tomorrow a friend is coming and we'll do the decking, and hopefully get some of the handrails completed. By Monday I hope to have it finished.

Here's where I'm at right now.