Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Darrell

Default District 9 (2009)

Today we went and saw District 9, a movie I have been long anticipating seeing since I saw the first preview before summer. The funny thing about going to see this movie is that I got carded when buying tickets. I’ve been carded a trillion times for beer, but for a movie ticket? Come on!!

District 9 takes place in Johannesburg South Africa where an Alien ship stops and Aliens are all over the city until they can be placed in ghettos much like Jews during Nazi Germany. Multi National United (MNU) is a corporation which is present in the city and controls the slums which the Aliens live in. The story revolves around M.N.U. serving eviction notices to the Aliens in order to move them 200 km away from Johannesburg in District 10. Their is quite a bit more to the story, but I don’t believe in spoilers.

The beginning of the movie was shot documentary style, complete with shaky camera work. I usually don’t like that style of cinematography, but because it was not the entire movie — I endured it. The acting was decent in this movie, but their were not well known actors in the movie, at least not that I could see. The story was strong and it was really interesting to see how it was a very racial movie in the sense that both black and white folks were working against Aliens. The action was good in this movie, but it was not a total action movie – it was well balanced between drama and action. The movie took about 20 mins for me to get into, once it started though, I really got into it.

Overall this was a good Sci Fi movie. It’s not the best movie in the world, but it was a cool change of pace/perspective of the whole Alien and Human movies. I’d recommend you guys check this out, I don’t think you will be disappointed.