Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Montecristo Reserva Negra

My wife and son, Jacob bought me these for Father's Day!!!

Length/Ring: 6 X 54 (Toro)
Shape: Box Pressed
Wrapper: San Andres Morron
Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium

As advertised:
This new maduro-wrapped version of Montecristo is bursting with unique, delicious flavors. The rich, chocolate-brown San Andres Mexican Morron wrapper compliments the perfectly aged blend of Honduran and Nicaraguan long filler tobaccos and peppery Nicaraguan binder creating layers of mouthwatering, sweet and spicy flavors from beginning to end. All cigars are square pressed and packed in boxes of 20. Definitely a smoke worth trying!

I really enjoy box pressed cigars!!! They are nice looking and easy to set down on a flat surface! The wrapper on this cigar is exceptional. I was really looking forward to smoking these even before I received this present!

I like the San Andres, Mexican wrappers. They are usually very flavorful! This wrapper was smooth and dark!

The pre-light draw was easy but not too loose. I toasted it and the aroma was fantastic! The first few puffs were very flavorful with hints of coffee and chocolate! Yum! A lot of white smoke!

At one-fourth of the way through a burn problem began. The burn was following the wrapper on one side. The flavor profile began to become a little more bitter.

At the halfway point the burn evened out but the flavor became very bitter, and all coffee and chocolate notes were lost in a muddied harsh flavor.

I was determined to press on for the review! Sometimes a cigar will change for the better after the halfway point... but this one did not! This thing became as harsh and unresponsive as my ex-wife!!! I ended up staying with this longer than I should... just like my first marriage!!!

If you bought these or are thinking of buying these I suggest letting them rest for awhile... a long while!!! I have three left and I am letting them rest until next Father's Day!!!

Total smoke time took 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Construction/Appearance: 9.5 out of 10 (Nice shape)
Flavor Balance: 5 out of 10 (due to muddied flavor)
Strength: Medium
Over all experience: 6 out of 10
Value: This was gifted but I wouldn't expect to pay more than $8.00 per stick.

Thank you Heather and Jacob for thinking about me and not buying me a tie!!!

Smoke what you like!!!

Last edited by Skywalker; 07-03-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote