Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road
Default Casa Fuente

I recently went to Las Vegas and dropped by the Casa Fuente's store in the Caesar's Palace Forums to pick up a few cigars. Casa Fuente’s house blend has the same binder and filler as regular Opus X blends, but has a Connecticut instead of a regular Rosado wrapper. Here’s a shot of an Opus Perfection #5 and the Casa Fuente Corona Gorda (I believe, orange bottom band removed). While the Opus is in the cellophane, the Opus X has a darker, earthier colored wrapper.

Pre-light draw of the cigar shows it has a good draw with a slight sweetness. Toasting was quite easy, and an unbelievable amount of smoke came out of this. First impressions were lots of oak and nutty notes with sweetness on the nose exhale. The aftertaste is silky cream that just layers over the mouth like butter on a pan. Working my way toward the second third though, I got hit by a section of harsh cigar flavor; like eating sushi with a chunk of hidden wasabi, choking when it hits the pallet. After a few more puffs the cigar felt like it was biting back at me, and the back of my throat got itchy which is never a good sign. I toughed it out and I am glad I did because a few more puffs later, the terrible taste finally went away, and I sailed home easy with the taste of espresso and dark roasted coffee.

The cigar’s construction is top notch with a near razor straight burn, and easily draws loads of smoke. I was smoking outside and there was some wind, but even with this, it only ashed once a little bit past this.

Overall, the cigar was nothing special, but for $15 though, it’s a tough sell for me to buy it again because that’s Anejo and Opus X range; the Perfection #5 in the first picture was $15. Flavor, strength and complexity wise comparing it to the Opus X, Anejo, and Ashton VSG (also rolled by Fuente), the Casa Fuente comes out dead last. It goes to show what a good wrapper can do.
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote