Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #11
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rocky Patel,friend or foe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodomanaz View Post
I think a lot of people are pushing for a "Do one thing and do it well" rather than "try to do everything and hit or miss."

It'd be nice if you could pick up any RP/Gurkha blindly and in the first few puffs go, "Yup, that definitely has that Gurkha/RP flavor." Unfortunately they've stretched their blend catalogue so far to reach every single possible consumer that it's nearly impossible to associate the cigar to the blender beyond the band.

Don't get me wrong, I have liked the few RPs I've tried. I also keep a box of Cuban Blend maduros in my stash.
I just think the hobby is possibly getting a bit worn thin by these overzealous blenders/companies.
I don't see the problem with having different lines taste different, and I'm an over whelming fan of partagas. Yes there is something to be said for having a distinct flavor profile in every cigar that comes out of the factory, it's consistent and......expected I guess. However, there is also something to be said for variety. If I grab an edge I want it to taste like every edge that I've had before it but if I grab another one of his sticks I don't want it to taste like another edge. If I want an edge I'll smoke another edge, if I grab a vintage 90 I don't want to close my eyes and think I'm smoking another edge.
I know when I grab a party anything I'm going to have a flavor base and depending on the age of the cigar I'm going to have other flavors besides that and I happen to really really like that taste...which is why I own more of that cigar then any other...except for los statos but that's due to price....but that being said I don't want every cigar I smoke to taste the same. I don't smoke many RPs anymore and the last few I've had I didn't really care for but that's life and I don't fault him for trying to make cigars that allow more and more people enjoy them. It's good for him and it's good for us.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote