Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
kayaker

Default Re: What is your favorite Scotch Whisky

[quote=D. Generate;320291]Outside of the society I am a great fan of independent bottlers. Seriously everyone who likes whisky should be looking at these guys. Particularly since in the 70s and 80s when single malt wasn't in demand, a lot of barrels ended up in their hands. They have been rising in price in the past few years but some can still be found for a bargain. [quote]

Spot on!!! I've loved most of the IBs that I have had. Dewer Ratray and Murray/MacDavid are 2 ofmy favourite, but it really depends on what's in the bottle. I had a great bottle of Caol Ila bottled by First Cask. From what I have heard, IBs may become more rare because many distilleries are refusing to sell their barrels for that purpose.

[quote=D. Generate;320291]I don't like the current trend to finish everything in a sherry cask or similar. It has its place, but it's a limited place and is being abused (I'm looking at you Bruichladdich). [quote]

Them's fighting words.

I happen to be a big fan of what Bruichladdich is doing, and I think they are doing a better job than most with finishing.

Beside, aging in Sherry is/was a common thing because the barrels used to be so available in the UK when Sherry sales were much higher than they are today. Bourbon barrels are plentiful and cheap, but the Sherry is a nice change once and a while.