Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for book recommendations-war related

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
A very good book on Japan's background and involvement in WWII is "Japan's War" by Hoyt. Very interesting look at it from that view. I've read some views that Japan was backed into a corner with blockades to force them to war, but this book pretty much shoots that view down.
Somehow I wasn't quite pleased with Hoyt's "Japan's War", though I don't remember why. Perhaps I need to give it another look. Hoyt's book on the European theater, "The GI's War", is so good I would actually recommend it before Ambrose's works (in a "read this first" sense).

One that I have "mixed positive" feelings about is a two volume book called "Japan's Imperial Conspiracy". I am a doubter about the conspiracy aspects of the book, but as I recall the level of detail and interconnection the author went into is incredible.

And on the Pacific War, two other books (still in print) I would wholeheartedly recommend: "The Rising Sun" by John Toland (an absolute must-have) and "Eagle Against The Sun" by Ronald Spector.