Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

View Poll Results: Will the beetles not hatch?
All cigars will have beetles 12 24.49%
Only the frozen cigars will have beetles, but not the microwaved cigar 1 2.04%
Only the microwaved cigars will have beetles, but not the frozen cigars 9 18.37%
None of the cigars will have beetles 27 55.10%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road
Default Freezing Cigars – Does it Work?

The act of freezing cigars to kill beetles from poor conditions during transit works. The freezing cold kills the larva and beetles, this is not a question but a sound fact. But what about the dormant eggs that are just waiting to hatch and destroy your prized collection, do they die too? Some people say yes, others say no, and what I intend to do in the next week is to prove just this.

Before we begin, please read this article as it turns out Habanos S.A. freezes their cigars before distribution. http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...4,1613,00.html It is interesting to note though that people still get beetles in their cigars if the temperature is not optimally maintained.

I work at an ice cream plant and our storage freezer stays at a cool and constant -20 degrees Fahrenheit (-28.889 Celsius). I also live in Southern California and while the weather is not hot at the moment, 66 degrees outside at the moment, the inside of my black car certainly does and easily reaches 80-100 degrees. Furthermore, I own a microwave. Here are my three test “subjects,” they are Taboo Value Blend that I’ve kept in my VinoTemp for the last 6 months.

Here’s the procedure:
- 2 cigars will go into the industrial freezer, one for 24 hours, the other for 48 hours.
- 1 cigar will be microwaved for 30 seconds or before the plastic melts, whichever first, full power.
- The cigars will be put into plastic bags and into individual Tupperware containers, and will sit in my car for 5 (but will be kept in my car for 4 weeks after with a weekly update) days.
- Each day, I’ll post the results
- I will take pictures

Problems that may arise:
- If it begins to rain or the weather is not getting hot enough, I most likely will extend the time left in my car. It shouldn’t matter though right? If the freezer kills the eggs, whether it be 5 days or 1 year, no eggs should hatch if each are individually contained.

The schedule will go as follows. Tomorrow morning, March 4th, 2009, I will put the two cigars in the freezer. One will be taken out on the 5th, bagged and put into Tupperware, the other taken out on the 6th, bagged and put into Tupperware. The third cigar will be microwaved tomorrow, the 5th, bagged and put into Tupperware.

Your thoughts? Your bets? Anything that should be added, adjusted, or removed by tomorrow?

Last edited by Raralith; 03-03-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote