Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Does it upset you if new cigars smell like smoke?
Ya. Seriously. 21 91.30%
No, not at all. 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smoky cigars.

I wanted to hear what you guys think...
I've ordered cigars from a couple different places that when they arrive, they smell like old, stale smoke.
I'm not sure why a place would stink up their humidor, or why they'd allow smoking inside the humidor, or why they'd think someone would want cigars that stink of old ashtray, but it happens regularly from these vendors. I've stopped ordering from one place altogether because the packaging smells so bad I don't even want to bring it in the house.
I've been gnawing on this for a long time and wondered why I'd even care. Cigars smell like smoke as soon as I start smoking them, why would I even take exception?
Today I finally figured it out, cause I'm kind of slow.
I like my cigars to smell like a cigar when I get them.
I always smell my tobacco. I've smelled enough cigars that I can easily tell when they're ready, how wet they are, and whether or not they'll likely be a good smoke. Sniffing them up and analyzing them and imagining how good they'll be is a big part of the fun. If they arrive all stinky, I lose the opportunity for all that and I get the sense that my new cigars are "worthless" or "gross".

How do you guys feel about "stinky cigars"?